Are you 50?

Options

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and have lost 40 pounds since December 2011. I am 5 lbs below my goal weight. Read "the menopause makeover" - it is available on Kindle. It changed my whole attitude. I weigh less than I did at 33. I have more energy now than I have had in the last 15 years.

Funny, we have a lot of over 50 women here on MFP. I have been reading a lot on why getting and maintaining fitness is more important as you age. I believe you have to constantly monitor and change your eating and exercise habits as you age.

Protein is my friend.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm going to be 52 in a few weeks... I have been a bit off of my game this summer. Have gained a few pounds, but I haven't weighed myself. I exercise every day and with the help of MFP hope that I can maintain a healthy lifestyle. I would love to have some like-minded MFP friends. Add me:wink::wink:
  • melanielynn123
    Options
    Two years away. I have set a goal to be fit at 50! I recently joined a gym and switched up my daily goals to 30/40/30 on the advice of the trainer at the gym. I log every day and try to help motivate, support and generally be accountable to and for my friends here. Add me if you like?
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 in March .....and I'm right there with you. Feel free to add me.
  • skatei
    skatei Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'll be turning 50 next April and I am having a hard time with it. I have a lot to lose before then and can use all the encouragement I can get. Please add me.
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'll be 50 in October. I posed the question of what to do post menopause when the metabolism stops to a weight loss doctor. I didn't like his answer...he said that you have to up your exercise to 300 minutes a week to combat the metabolism...

So, I'm really working hard towards that goal.

That's what I'm thinking. It's finally time to become athletic, if not an athlete.
  • LegzyK
    LegzyK Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'll be 52 on Sept. 7th, would love to share support with someone in my age group! I'll send you a request...:flowerforyou:
  • Jumpyiguana
    Jumpyiguana Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm closing in on 55 and working on losing 35 lbs. Down 1 so far! =) It would be great to have some buds on here to share the journey.
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I turn 49 in just over a week. After my annual health checkup I saw the graph of my weight changes over the last 7 years and also saw an increase in the other unhealthy things trending upward the same way. For the first time in my life I was borderline high cholesterol, borderline diabetes, and told that the next time I would most likely also be showing high blood pressure.

I ramped up my PT efforts and then started working on my intake at the end of May. My goal was to be at my goal weight and in maintenance mode when I hit 50. My grandson just turned 1 and I need to take better care of myself if I am going to watch him grow up.

Anyone that wants to add me, feel free.
  • starbuckskat
    starbuckskat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 - and believe me my body feels way older than that. I have 90 lbs to lose.......... I am lazy and love to eat and have always been like that. When I retired from the Navy I let everything go since I wasn't required to maintain a fitness level (Which I struggled with anyway). I am pretty sure that my problem is mental/emotional/psychological, but I haven't figured out the connection yet. Wouldn't even know where to begin. I also have a sugar addiction. I'm all messed up lol But I'm working on it!

Kathy
  • tntlong2012
    tntlong2012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm right there with you, always struggling to stay motivated and keep the wieght off. Would love to be your friend!
  • Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    Hi!! I am 56 and have been here since Feb. I am closing in on my 50 lb mark. I have started running again. I am doing 3 miles a day and feel GREAT!! This can be done. Age is not a barrier, just an excuse. If anyone needs a supportive friend go ahead and friend me.
  • MidgeN27
    MidgeN27 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    No but I wish I was!

aged 50 with 15 years experience.

lol

:drinker:

love that answer!
  • MidgeN27
    MidgeN27 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am 52 alway looking for buddies to help motivate and be motivated by. Anyone interested please feel free to friend me
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    I am 52 alway looking for buddies to help motivate and be motivated by. Anyone interested please feel free to friend me
    [/quot

Likewise! I'm 54 and trying to be consistant. Tracking cals has led me to exercise in order to eat what I want. I felt very obsessive at first but now it's better. Going with the flow. Any friends are welcome friends! : )
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    [/quot

Likewise! I'm 54 and trying to be consistant. Tracking cals has led me to exercise in order to eat what I want. I felt very obsessive at first but now it's better. Going with the flow. Any friends are welcome friends! : )

Oops the bottom half of the above quote is actually my post. Sorry for the slipup!
  • Zoggy3333
    Zoggy3333 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be 50 in Nov and I am a bit anxious about it. I have lost 20 lbs since feb but now I seem to have hit a plateau. I workout 3-4x a week with cardio included for 15-25 min

Am I missing something?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated
  • s50s
    s50s Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 50 and I am looking for friends to help me on my journey. I have 35 pounds to lose. Please add me to your friend list.
  • 26Nirak
    26Nirak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi - I was 50 in May and nowhere near my weight-loss goal. Had my moment of reality July 12, when I topped the scale at 220, and have lost 22 pounds since. I will have reached my goal (154) by NEXT birthday :).....this time around, I finally realized that my crappy eating habits are no longer an option if I want to stay active, healthy and continue to live well. Now it's quality over quantity!

I am on here every day, offer support to my mfp friends, and write a little blog from time to time. I'd be happy to have some more fabulous 50's buddies!!!

Happy Saturday

Karin
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am 64 and thought I would never lose weight. I battled all my life. In April of 2011 I started and came on this website. I had 112 lbs to lose and have lost 78 so far. I took some time off, but made the right choices, and stayed the same. My problem is I have knee and back problems so exercising is a challenge. This is the first time in my entire life that I have kept it off. Try to stay motivated, and you have all the support u need here. I cant tell u how much support I received and it made all the difference in the world.......Good luck to you.....Joann