I am going for surgery

Options
Oct 1st i am going for surgery. I wont be able to exercise for about 2wks ,maybe more. Its going to be done laproscopically. I am terrified that i will fall off the weight loss wagon!! Any honest tips would be appreciated. By the way the surgery has nothing to do with losing weight. Its a woman thing.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MFP is set so u don have to exercise to lose, a deficit is built in already. Stick to ur cals and u shud b fine.
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You've got lots of time to plan, why not make up a daily menu for each day...at least for the first week? That way, you'll have your shopping done ahead, and everything in order! Peace of mind is worth everything, especially when you're not feeling well.

Good luck~
  • likeswhiskey
    Options
    I've, thankfully, never had to have surgery, but my advice would be to give yourself the time you need to fully heal. Eat what your body needs (doctor orders) and set dates in your calendar to reevaluate. Decide on October 15th whether you're ready to get back on the horse. If you're not feeling it, set another date on your calendar for a week or two later. Keep doing that until you feel you can go back. Don't push yourself before you're ready, because that would be a surefire way to fail.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Being post-op myself (2003) I can tell you that although you can't do extreme exercise...you can still go for walks and it's actually suggested as it helps aide in the weight loss process starting!

Good luck!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You've got lots of time to plan, why not make up a daily menu for each day...at least for the first week? That way, you'll have your shopping done ahead, and everything in order! Peace of mind is worth everything, especially when you're not feeling well.

Good luck~

I second that. You could even make a few things and put them in the freezer so all you have to do is reheat them on the days when you're not feeling 100%. It would allow you more time to just concentrate on healing, without worrying about your eating.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Good nutrition speeds recovery. I'd eat at maintenance for those two weeks, and get back on the losing bandwagon when you get the ok to exercise again.

I'd rather have two weeks of not losing weight than have a prolonged recovery period because I was eating to lose instead of eating to heal.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    MFP is set so u don have to exercise to lose, a deficit is built in already. Stick to ur cals and u shud b fine.

^^^^^ This!! ^^^^^
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Whatever the surgery, follow your doctor's orders. Don't be too quick to exercise too hard. Depending on what kind of surgery it is, s/he could say not to exercise for up to 6 weeks. For the sake of healing, listen to the doc. ASK when you see the doc after surgery and ASK specifically what you can and cannot do. I had a laproscopic hysterectomy 2 years ago and I was told not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for 6 weeks, no vaccuming, no bike riding, no lifing of any kind, no pushing even a small, empty shopping cart. He even said only short distances walking. I didn't gain weight while I was recovering but I didn't lose a ton either. I think I lost about 5 pounds while recovering.

Just be careful. A good, safe recovery is better than not. Good luck with your surgery!
  • Vivijeanne
    Options
    I had surgery two weeks ago and I was also worried about falling off the wagon. I am unable to go to the gym yet but I am walking slowly daily . I am also hoping to go swimming again soon as the wounds have healed
    I am still losing weight and I am sure you will do fine too
    Good luck with the operation and the weight loss :D
  • Nfairley
    Nfairley Posts: 84
    Options
    If you have to do a bowel prep, that'll probably knock off a few lbs :laugh:
    Lap. surgery is usually easier on folks than the traditional Big Slice and from my personal experience, people are usually back to normal within a month-6 weeks. Be sure to ask when you can resume exercise at your post.op visit. For the healing phase, just take it easy and keep an eye on the calories. Depending on the type of surgery, you may have a decreased appetite for a while.

I hope it goes well! :drinker:
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I was out for 6 weeks due to surgery. I had to be VERY strict with my calories. I did okay for probably 4 weeks --- did not gain weight. Be careful not to get caught in the comfort foods. Towards the end (the last two weeks), I started drinking pop again and could tell a difference in the way I was feeling. The extra carbs (well extra sugar) from the crappy food caused me to gain a pound or two.

The hardest part, after 6 weeks, was getting back into an exercise routine. I would suggest that you start walking as soon as you get your doctor's okay (even if it is only for short distances).
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had abdominal surgery last Nov 14. By end of month I was back at the gym even if it was only on the treadmill for 10mins at a time. It was snowy and icy outside by then so I couldn't walk outdoors to regain strength. I had just started my journey that month. I think my recovery was the best ever, after that surgery (compared to previous procedures) because I made a point of getting up and walking.

Good luck with your surgery and you'll be fine. One day at a time, recovery is more important than what the scale says. Give yourself time to heal. Depending on your surgery, you could likely still do some upper body strength training until you can hit the lower body again?
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Oh --- and if you are thinking 2 weeks out, wrap your mind around the fact that it might be longer. Tell yourself 4 weeks so that you are not disappointed. If you can get back sooner, it will be a bonus. Your recovery is most important.

I was originally in the mind set thinking I would be out for 3 weeks. I was shocked (and so very disappointed) when doc told me 6 weeks.
  • brenbell
    brenbell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ive been down with hurt knees twice. I just keep my calories low and do fine. Havent lost but havent gained either. Just watch what you eat.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I just had laprascopic surgery a couple weeks ago. I suggest upping your calories a little to help with recovery. Walk or swim as soon as your doctor says that you can. I was walking slow and first and built up my distance and time. I was able to go swimming after a week ( I could only tread water but it helps). Plan your meals ahead especially if you are like me and you are used to eating back a lot of exercise calories. Talk with you doctor ahead of time about expected recovery time.
  • michellepepito
    michellepepito Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you track your food and make healthily choices it will help you heal faster. As soon as you are able walk and get your body moving. Good luck to you
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I had laparoscopy surgery in April and was back to lifting heavy 7 day after. I say eat at maintenance.... your body need it. Take a walk everyday when the Dr say it is ok and get back to it exactly 14 after surgery even if it is to do a very light workout.
  • mmmyotwnz
    mmmyotwnz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would stay on the goals set here or maybe decrease them a bit. You can always use some small hand weights to keep the arms working. But in saying that, all muscles seem to lead to the core and to where the pain is.

I tried to do the stationary bike and some work at the PT office three weeks after an emergency appendectomy. It was too soon and I hurt a lot after. Just be careful and listen to the Dr.'s advice. I would think if you were adding the totals here, you might be fine. It takes a little longer to bounce back as we get older. The recovery time with this rivaled the hysterectomy 10 years earlier.
    Like a previous poster said, I agree with planning some meals/snacks out. You have some time.

Start back slow and steady and listen to your body.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am going in for a circumferential body lift on Sept. 24th and will be laid up for quite a few weeks... I won't be aloud to get back to the exercise like I am use to for 8-10 weeks so I will be referring back to what I know best and that is watch my diet and pre-making my meal plan for the first few weeks so that I stay on point while I am healing.. I will be eating more protein to promote healing but that is the game plan.... Best of Luck.....
  • LisabethG
    LisabethG Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Laproscoptic is the easiest surgery to recover from. They may suggest you start a walking program within a few days of the surgery. It's very doable...just listen to your body. Don't push yourself. Along with eating correctly, you shouldn't gain any weight. Good luck.