Too fast weight loss

I've lost 13 lbs. in 11 days. I'm trying to keep my sugar (and salt) and fats, especially the bad ones, down and yet get more calorie intake. Any suggestions?

Replies

• I may be biased, since I'm doing low carb, but bacon. It's low in sugar and a couple of (low-sodium) slices has about 220 calories.

EDIT: And, if you're just starting out, 13 pounds pounds in 11 days isn't too fast. Things should level off pretty soon, unless you're eating well under (many hundreds of calories under) your BMR.

How many calories are you eating per day and what's your BMR?
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    as a starter that weight loss is fine. You won't do that for long, so be careful that you eat enough. Eat lots of lean protein and enjoy the process.
    Good luck!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    A lot of the weight loss especially if you have suddenly changed your diet for the better is often retained water, have you lowered your sodium and upped your water?
    He is right about bacon being good and high in calories lol. There are lots of ways to increase your calories, good lean meats, nuts and nut spreads, whole grain breads (read the label carefully), look for nutrient dense foods, they tend to come with a pretty fair calorie count.
  • PurePlaya2000
    PurePlaya2000 Posts: 11 Member
    if you just started losing weight, then all you have lost is water. i would say keep your salt and sugar lowl, and eat more veggies.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Avocados and nuts are the highest calories with least carb/bad fat that I know. I get the unroasted/unsalted nuts (raw) from www.nuts.com. Very good product, good prices and super fast delivery.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Lean, grilled meats (I do a lot of boneless skinless chicken breasts) fresh fruit and lots of fresh vegetables, grains and as little processed foods as possible.

Just saying, bacon has a lot of sodium, and depending on the type possibly a lot of sugar.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    It's common when you first start dieting to lose a large amount in your first week or two, especially if you suddenly decrease your carb (sugar) and sodium intake and if you increase your veggie intake, especially in potassium rich vegetables.

What did you set as your target loss per week on MFP? How much are you exercising?

My advice would be to aim for a moderate deficit (MFP default settings of 1lb a week loss will calculate it all for you) and keep on going. If you continue to lose at a very fast pace after your 3rd week, your deficit must be larger than you think - which means you need to weigh your food more closely to ensure you're getting as many calories as you think. Or, eat more calorie dense foods. :)
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    you don't have your diary open so folks can only speculate. a fast drop for the first week or two isn't too out of the ordinary. the worrisome part is that nobody can see how many calories you're consuming and what types of food you are eating in order to comment as to whether or not you have anything to worry about or not.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Congratulations....getting rid of salt and sugar right of the bat is like detox no wonder you lost weight!.. I think that you have made a great start. The only thing that I would suggest is that you concentrate more on getting your nutrients from your food...calories have a way of taking care of themselves...avoid processed foods..
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    I agree with the people saying that it's pretty common for that to happen at first, particularly if you're significantly reducing your sodium intake or if you have a lot to lose. No need to worry.
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    We've switched to smoothies for breakfast. I use fresh/frozen berries, a scoop of protein powder, along with chia, milled flax seed, whole oats, ice, water and blend.

A great answer to getting protein and fiber. Leaves me full for at least 3 hours, and then I have a raw veggie snack at my desk to tide me over until lunch.
  • APawli1224
    APawli1224 Posts: 80 Member
    If you are doing the low carby atkins type diet you can actually eat bacon as long as it is the natural orangic kind with no additives ot the turkey bacon.. I eat it from time to time but not alot.. As far as the 13lbs in 11 days it is probably mostly water weight and like someone said already it will even out.. Your a guy make sure you are filling yourself up with protein and veggies and eat the right calorie intake!!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I should be so lucky! Open your food diary to your friends so they can give feedback! Good luck and add me as a friend if you want to give and receive honest feedback!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Hi,
    Welcome to the boards. Your initial weight loss when you start a new diet and exercise is frequently just water weigh. If you have cut you sodium intake compared to before then you will retain less water. To sustain weight loss you need to be eating more than your BMR - the calories needed to prevent organ damage - and less than you TDEE - total energy you burn with all you activities added in. check out this link and it will help you find these numbers and set your targets for healthy loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Congrats on your success so far - keep on keeping on!