Runners: What type of strength training do you do?

Options
Running is my main source of cardio; I usually run 4 days a week (average about 15-20 miles/week). I have been trying to do some strength training too, although it's hard to motivate myself to do it since I don't like it as much as running :) What type of strength do you runners do and how often etc?

Replies

• MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    I recommend you read the book "New Rules of lifting for women" if offers good advice and exercise with pics of how to do it.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have been doing deadliftfs, single straight leg dead lifts, leg press & lunges (with weights and on bosu) x 2 a week

I have managed to knock 12 min off my 10km time in the past 4 months
  • jshort152
    Options
    Full body workout 2-3 times a week, 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps should help you see a great difference in your running, also, look into metaboilc resistance training, I'm training a client for a tough mudder and these work great, hope this helps!

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I am terrible at doing my strength training a home. So I started using 'equipment' I find on my runs for body weight exercises. Chin ups, incline pushups, step ups, dips, calf raises, and looking for more (just reading 'you are your own gym').
    At home I do situps and weighted squats. When I manage to make myself do them.
    Can't say mine is the best solution, but it works for me, for now...
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Take a look at strong lifts 5X5 not a lot of lifts to learn and can be done 2 or 3 times a week. It starts you out low and will build you up gradually and safely/
  • filomenae
    filomenae Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Running is my main source of cardio as well.. In fact, I have a gym membership, but I hardly use any of the cardio machines because I simply do all my weight lifting and strength training there.

Recently, I've been focusing more on strength training has actually improved my running greatly.

I do full body workouts when it comes to weights and strength, 3-4 times a week. I run to the gym. There are trails in the middle of my city, about a mile run from my house, that takes me across the city to where my gym is located. It's convenient and I run back home as well.
  • mleonards
    mleonards Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I wouldn't call myself a beginner when it comes to strength, I know a lot about it-- used to work in a gym before I had babies! but--I just get bored easily and run a lot more now than I used to.

Full body workouts 2-3 times a week seem like something people are doing. Do you guys do your strength on non-running days or on running days?

I've got 2 little kids at home so I don't have 3 hours/day to workout for sure-- I usually can get a good hour in or 2 30 minute increments if needed.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I just do body weight stuff. Mostly push ups & pull ups. But recently I started gettign a little more consistent doing an actual program. There are lots of resources out there if you google body weight exercises.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Off season I do squats to try to increase my leg strength, but during the running season I just do the leg extension and leg curl machines on those days that I lift. The reason for this, is that squats really kill my legs and require a day of rest, something I'm not willing to do when it is so nice to be outside running.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I do a full body workout 2 or 3 x weekly on non-running days. As my fitness goals include distance runs and (eventually) an Olympic distance triathlon I'm a low weight, high rep kind of guy (muscular hypertrophy is not on my wish list)
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    How about, "What are your actual goals?"
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I asked one of the trainers at the gym to sort me out a programme that would complement my training, help prevent injury, burn fat and be a bit different to my regular weight training and he gave me this circuit:

10 min run warm-up
    Kettlebell swings
    VIPR twist squats
    TRX rows
    VIPR V-sit twists
    TRX triceps extension
    TRX biceps curls
    10 min cross-trainer cool-down

I love it, it's made me faster, I haven't had any twinges and it's a great mix of cardio and strength.
  • hmcminton
    hmcminton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    P90X ~ absolutely love it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, calf extension, leg curls, leg extension... and upper body stuff like bench press, barbell curl, overhead press.

I don't push myself as hard on the legs as the upper body, though, because there's nothing worse than trying to run with a sore *kitten*. Or I do a heavier leg day when I'll rest the next day.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    2 things:

1 - Google weight training for runners; this will give you some good routines that will help tone you and actually aid your running

2 - I am actually doing the Tough Mudder Boot camp 3x per week; this is actually improving my speed and endurance on my runs.

The reason I wouldn't do just any old weight training is because you could wind up doing something that could hinder your running and you don't want to do that. So I recommend looking for routines tailored for runners.
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    Squats, lunges, calf extensions, side lunges, deadlifts, straight legged deadlifts, any and all ab exercises.

I usually do my leg exercises after I run, every other day. I found that if I do strength training before running, I am more likely to injure myself.
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Total Body Strength Training 2-3X a week.

I also Run 3 Days a week for about 8 or so miles.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    How about, "What are your actual goals?"
  • tri10806
    tri10806 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    P90X ~ absolutely love it!
    Yes to P90X. Last week I ran 4 times, did 4 P90X workouts (1 round chest/back and 1/2 shoulders/arms twice), and did the ab ripper video 3 days. Even if you don't follow the program exactly they are great workouts on their own. And by splitting them up you can get more work in.