How important is it to take a "rest"day?

Options
I love working out. The only time I will take a rest day, is after I have done my infusion in my legs, which makes them very sore.
Is it necessary to have a rest day if I dont need one?
I feel like a slacker if I don't work out every day!
I even feel guilty if the soreness in my legs keep me from doing my exercise.

Replies

• Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    very important.

working out shouldnt cause so much pain you cause permanent damage.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's definitely important. Your muscles need time to recover and repair themselves :)
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    very important.

working out shouldnt cause so much pain you cause permanent damage.
    the pain I have is from my infusions. Not from working out.
    Sorry I didn't explain that very well.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It is essential. Nearly just as important as working out itself.
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Very important! I hate taking rest days, but there is a piont where I will just be spinning my wheels and getting nowhere if I don't take a break. It gives your body a chance to recover and get even stronger.
  • Mountainbiker2015
    Mountainbiker2015 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's definitely important. Your muscles need time to recover and repair themselves :)

I agree 100% with this statement. :wink:
  • chefsmash
    chefsmash Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Rest is when the muscles grow/repair... adequate sleep, alternating muscle groups worked or leaving a day between each full-body strength routine. It's essential to progress. It's fine to do active rest though; such as light cardio, stretching, foam rolling, yoga, etc
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have to constantly remind myself to take a "rest day" because I get to where i feel guilty for not working out. but usually on the days i do rest, i go for a light walk or do yoga :)
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I workout 5 days a week so I have 2 rest days(normally tuesdays and fridays) because your body needs to rest---your muscles need a break--just like you need sleep, your muscles need a break.
  • kateowp
    kateowp Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Looks like your exercise is mostly cardio. If you don’t want a day off, maybe you could do some strength work instead of cardio on your "rest" day.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    As someone else said, you need to give your body chance to repair, especially if you're working out with weights and doing resistance training. You could always go for a walk on your day off?

I work out about 4 times a week, but I have 2 young children, and going out with them and chasing round after them burns up loads of calories, so i guess I don't really have any rest days!
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I feel like working out has become an addiction !!
  • sosino
    sosino Posts: 41
    Options
    I do Insanity 6 days a week and do P90X X Stretch on the 7th day.
  • sosino
    sosino Posts: 41
    Options
    I feel like working out has become an addiction !!

+1 for the above. :) never thought I would feel like that.
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    definitely need rest days, i don't like sitting around and doing nothing on rest days either, so i do light exercises at home (moving furniture, yoga, stretching, going for a walk)

recovery is important! especially if you want to build muscle
  • storyluv
    storyluv Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about "rest" days. But I go really hard during the week and I get pretty spent by the time Friday rolls around. I take a rest day for my mood, usually Fridays and Sundays. Mentally I need to regroup and I feel much better on Monday and I go hard all over again. I love working out, but I am super busy and I need to think heavily for my job. I can't do that if my muscles are taking up all the energy to recover. I also find myself hungry all the time, so I need to give my body a break or else I'm going to eat everything. But even on a rest day I'll go for a bike ride or take a walk, it's cathartic no less. I also go to bed early now, say 10:30-11:00ish. Rest well, balance is key for your healthy sustainable lifestyle. Cheers:drinker:
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I rarely take a rest day. The exceptions are the day before and after a marathon, the day before a half marathon (no need for the day after) and if we are traveling I tend to take the day off. I won't be working out next Sunday however I am helping to put on a full distance triathlon and will be there from 4 am until about 2 am the next day...I think that constitutes a work out :smile: It is up to each person and how they feel but I don't find it necessary. What I do is mix up my work outs with running, cycling, the Arc at the gym and weight training. My body is well adjusted to working out daily but if I do feel sore I do something that is a bit easier on my body such as the Arc. It is a method that works well for me.
  • mangohead100
    Options
    I am likewise concerned that I may be becoming addicted to exercise (in an unhealthy way), so I'm taking a rest day today.
    My 'alarm bell' that I may be addicted is that I am concerned that one day off will negatively impact my weight loss; logically, one day off is fine and healthy for me!

My sore legs are my more tangible alarm bell that I need to rest and recover.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/500792-how-to-take-a-rest-day-from-exercise/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Let's define "rest day" here. A "rest day" is a day where one isn't training the same exact muscles as the day before with resistance. You can do cardio EVERYDAY, but you shouldn't do resistance training on the same muscle on consecutive days. You CAN train say arms today if you did legs yesterday.
    So you don't have to rest between workouts, just don't train the same muscle consecutive days. You should try to allow for at least ONE full day of rest and no exercise a week though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Let's define "rest day" here. A "rest day" is a day where one isn't training the same exact muscles as the day before with resistance. You can do cardio EVERYDAY, but you shouldn't do resistance training on the same muscle on consecutive days. You CAN train say arms today if you did legs yesterday.
    So you don't have to rest between workouts, just don't train the same muscle consecutive days. You should try to allow for at least ONE full day of rest and no exercise a week though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Well said, good answer.