I have a problem!!!

Options
okay today i decided not to do my usual walk and I decided to go on my stationary bike and ride for 45 minutes! so when i got off to see how many calories I burned it said 150! does anyone think thats right? I think I burned more than that... i was doing 20mph...idk!!!:noway:

Replies

• ladylaycee
    ladylaycee Posts: 114
    Options
    okay today i decided not to do my usual walk and I decided to go on my stationary bike and ride for 45 minutes! so when i got off to see how many calories I burned it said 150! does anyone think thats right? I think I burned more than that... i was doing 20mph...idk!!!:noway:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    That's got to be way off. Enter it into MFP's exercise and see what it says--go with MFP's for now. Your exercise bike probably isn't taking into account your age, weight, etc. I also suggest you look into getting a heart rate monitor so you can get accurate figures for exercise.
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    yeh the bikes at the gym say the same thing for me.. that's why i don't ride them.. seems like walkin and light joggin work better for me...

i'd enter it into MFP's or another counter and average it out..
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I talked about getting bikes, but around here, no where to ride, well, maybe, we live on a dead end street and I guess I could just stay in the neighborhood.

Sometimes walking is so boring
  • pamschwab3
    pamschwab3 Posts: 12
    Options
    Stationary bikes burn a lot less calories than other cardio machines. You aren't working as much of your body. You're sitting, so unlike stair machines, elliptical, treadmills, etc, you aren't holding your own body weight. You're only working your legs and a tiny bit of core and you are going against the machine only, not your own body. If you want stronger legs, stationary bikes are okay, but for pure calorie burning, pick another machine. Biking outside is also better because you stand more naturally on hills and such.
  • magdalune
    magdalune Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Fat-burn exercises have to be weight-bearing, which eliminates swimming and biking. You're getting a good work out for your legs and your heart, but if you want a calorie-burner, do something where you're standing.
  • AprilVal
    AprilVal Posts: 940 Member
    Options

Way to go.. :smile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've got to disagree with some people here--fat burning exercises are anything that include getting your heart rate into the aerobic zone and keeping it there for at least 30 minutes. Doesn't matter what it is, if you do that, then your body will burn fat.

Also, for those of us who have more to lose than others, some exercises are out of our possiblities. Weight bearing exercises are not for everyone to begin with, as we are doing damage to our knees, hips, etc. by putting even more stress upon them. For some of us, bicycling or swimming is all we've got right now.

And, yes, those exercises will burn fat.
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Swimming is definitely a fat burning exercise. Ever see a competitive swimmer. You may be buoyant, but you are moving your mass through resistance. Swimming is actually one of the best exercises you can do cardio-wise, especially because it is non-impact and it gives an all-over muscle workout.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    That's got to be way off. Enter it into MFP's exercise and see what it says--go with MFP's for now. Your exercise bike probably isn't taking into account your age, weight, etc. I also suggest you look into getting a heart rate monitor so you can get accurate figures for exercise.

Agreed. Use what MFP says.

You can burn fat with any exercise - even cleaning the house.:happy:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Fat burning doesn't have anything to do with muscle building directly (they are usually happening at the same time, but that is incidental as they use different processes and different building blocks). Building muscle will ultimately increase metabolism, and thus over the long haul burn more fat, but directly, cardio is a good way to burn fat. Example, for the first 5 months of my routine I exclusively ran, running is almost all cardio, with a very little (leg) muscle building thrown in. I lost about 35 lbs that way, and my belly fat is all gone now.

But lady, if you really want to know what you burned for calories, go get yourself a good Heart Rate Monitor, it will tell you EXACTLY what you have burned. The machines at the gym are only estimates (and can be off by as much as 30%). They are a little pricey, but soooo worth it. Nike, Polar, and Garmon all make very good Heart Rate Monitors that you can use, and most cost somewhere between 60 and 120 bucks, depending on what numbers you want to get out of it.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    yes thats GOT to be wrong! I do 20 mins, 100rpm on a bike everyday as my warm up and my bike says I burn about 200 cals......... so in 45 mins it would be quite a bit more than 150! It is good excercise, I disagree with what other people are saying quite strongly.