How do I improve Flexibility?

Options
Hi,

I am Male, age 49. I dont have too much flexibility. I have started stretching 30-45 mins x 3 times a week. I just want to benchmark my expectations. How does your flexibility increase with stretching? How much time does it take to be flexible? (I know, you cud say define 'flexibility'). I just wanted to know the sort of time it takes to reach various levels and your experiences.

Thanks

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I don't do stretching as much as I ought to, just when I am out for my running, about a mile in. I know I should stretch at the end too, but I am too lazy. The improvements in flexibility were gradual, so I only notice it once in a while thinking, oh, I couldn't have kicked this high a few months ago...
    Are you doing anything except stretching in those 30-45 min sessions? That's kind of a foreign concept to me. Maybe try yoga?
    Good luck...
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    This is a good site on daily 'mobility' type movements, ie increase range of movement/flexibility
    http://www.mobilitywod.com

This is also a good book that I bought for my husband
    http://www.amazon.com/Relax-into-Stretch-Flexibility-Mastering/dp/0938045288

And lastly, I've done yoga to increase my own flexibility. It comes with time though. Be patient.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    What do you want to achieve?

Flexibility is a funny thing, unless you are unable to live a normal life without pain or restriction, you are probably flexible enough.

To put it another way, unless you are suffering pain, or unable to do a certain action, whether that be in everyday life, or for a sport, your flexibility is probably adequate. There seems to be this idea that everyone needs to be super flexible, but in reality you need to be as flexible as you need to be (obvious statement is obvious). Now if you're a gymnast this is going to be more than a runner which is going to be more than someone who just lives a normal life with no sport.

Moving away from that, stretching may not be the answer, often a muscle doesn't need to be stretched, it needs to lose some tone (how tense\active it is, not the popular use of the word). This could be caused by inhibited reciprocal muscles, weakness at end range of movements.

It may also be that the muscle has scar tissue and adhesions, and so massage and self rolling can help.

Finally muscles may not be the issue at all, and it may in fact be a joint restriction, for example you can have the longest most relaxed calves in the world, but if the talus is stiff or has a bone spur, your ankle range of movement will be limited.

I know I've not really given any answers here, but hopefully there is some food for thought.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Yoga! It seriously improves your flexibility and you can choose a level of difficulty that suits you with different practices. If you possibly can, look into taking a class. Your instructor can correct your poses and you can also make them aware of any injuries you might have, so they can teach you different ways of doing a pose, or encourage you not to do certain poses at all.
  • jkw123
    jkw123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yoga. It will change your life.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yoga has been a huge help to me in flexibility and stretching after my running. It takes a long time but little by little it gets better. My trainer always says the day you stop stretching is the day you start losing flexibility.
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind answers. Yes - Yoga or something like it seems the best. What I wanted to know, however, is how long does it take. I know you would not get instant results and I have to be patient. But how patient?

Could anyone share their personal tid-bits? Like - "It took me 4 weeks to touch my toes", or "I took 8 months to do the split". I just need to benchmark - so that I don't lose patience.

Thank you all.
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I can't think of specific examples, but I think my flexibility improved to a very noticeable level after a month or two of stretching at the stretching station at my gym (10 minutes, 3 times a week). I am a female, age 64 so due to my age, tissues tend to tighten up and even a little stretching is almost miraculously beneficial.
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind answers. Yes - Yoga or something like it seems the best. What I wanted to know, however, is how long does it take. I know you would not get instant results and I have to be patient. But how patient?

Could anyone share their personal tid-bits? Like - "It took me 4 weeks to touch my toes", or "I took 8 months to do the split". I just need to benchmark - so that I don't lose patience.

Thank you all.
    I started doing yoga once per week about three months ago. Took only two sessions to feel like I had drastically improved hip flexor flexibility, which is why I went to begin with (to help with my running). Biggest benefit was learning specific poses that I can use any time for post-run stretches.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    The amount of time depends on what your markers and goals are. Some people can never achieve gymnast flexibility due to skeletal structure. That kind of flexibility has to be formed before your bones solidified in puberty. But getting back to your flexibility levels from your teen years should be doable if you've had no major injuries/ orthopedic surgeries since then.

To make markers, before you begin your flexibility routine, have a friend take photos of your range of motion. Then in a month re-do the same motions and take photos again. There will be some obvious changes ("Hey! I can touch my toes again!") but other changes may not be as obvious, such as spinal or shoulder flexibility.

And remember to never push beyond your comfort zone. Yoga injuries do happen because people try to force poses they aren't ready for. Also be careful of any poses that are painful in the neck or spine. Slipped discs are also common for yoga practitioners.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Thank you all.

Don't expect major results straight away, but you'll definitely notice little changes bit by bit, which is really exciting. I'm only 22, so I an't give you any anecdotal evidence that will necessarily benefit you, since our bodies and flexibility levels are probably entirely different. However, if you keep at it (particularly if you try and practice a few things, outside classes at home), you will definitely see results.
  • SunnyLynnie
    SunnyLynnie Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Absolutely yoga. So many benefits besides flexibility! I could never touch my toes, even when I was young. Now I can. I bend over with hands FLAT on the ground. It's amazing.
  • SunnyLynnie
    Options
    I practiced yoga twice a week for 6 months and started seeing results. When I first would lie on my back and stretched my leg up, it was pointing straight up. After 6 months, it was at an angle. Now two years later, my foot is right over my face! And it doesn't hurt! And I've also brought down my blood pressure. Stick with it for at least six months and you will see results, but you can even see them before that. Make sure you find a yoga practitioner who is licenced.
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's good to see an older (sorry) man interested in flexibility. Gaining flexibility now will help quality of life down the road. Walking will be easier bc if hip mobility and flexibility, you will be able to continue to put on your own socks and shoes things like that that we take for granted.

I know this is a crap ton to think about and may be depressing. My mother is 60 and I told her I was glad she finally got a trainer bc quality of life in 5, 10, 15, 20 years will be improved immensely.

Anyway, so stretching. Yoga is amazing. Also partner stretching works. If you are doing static stretching, hold for 30s at least. You can also breath normally but on the exhales stretch a bit deeper.
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thaks a lot, folks. As I said, I am Male, 49, and terribly unfit. I have decided to do a lifestyle change towards fitness. That means losing 14 kgs (already lost 4 of these), and trying to be flexible.

My plan is to do yoga/stretching till Dec/Jan. Within a week I have seen dramatic results in some areas, and hardly any results in some other stretches. By Dec-Jan, with solid 6 months of flexibility behind me, I keep flexibility in "maintenance mode" - (ie do everything in 12 mins, but do not improve) and concentrate either on muscle building or on running/cycling.

I want to take things a bit easy, because change comes slowly to me. What do you folks think of this?
  • SunnyLynnie
    Options
    Good plan.