Vegetarian and cheese question

Options
elm2008
elm2008 Posts: 95 Member
I know some cheese is made with rennet, but when I see "enzymes" on a label, is that also rennet? i've been a vegetarian for years but have just learned about this and taken cheese out of my diet for the past few months. I've noticed that cottage cheese and cream cheese do not have enzymes or rennet listed but are there any common (not specifically vegan/veg) brands/types of cheese that are ok for a veg to eat?

Also, how strict are my fellow vegetarians with this? I see a lot of recipes on the internet that claim to be vegetarian but then have Parmesan cheese in it.

Replies

• astargirlpower
    Options
    i believe tillmook is safe.
  • elm2008
    Options
    bump
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump for the answer. good question!
  • CantarellaMiyani
    CantarellaMiyani Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I completely misread the question. Oops. :P
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yep, "enzymes" are most likely rennet.
    An easy way to know what cheese is rennet-free is to buy kosher cheese, as it's against the kosher rules to have rennet in cheese.

Some cheap brands will use lab-created rennet, which is artificial, therefore not coming from animals, but because the cheese is cheap, I wouldn't recommend it, as it doesn't usually taste very nice.
  • elm2008
    Options
    Yep, "enzymes" are most likely rennet.
    An easy way to know what cheese is rennet-free is to buy kosher cheese, as it's against the kosher rules to have rennet in cheese.

Some cheap brands will use lab-created rennet, which is artificial, therefore not coming from animals, but because the cheese is cheap, I wouldn't recommend it, as it doesn't usually taste very nice.
    thanks so much! I will look into it.
    do you happen to know anything about "kosher gelatin"? I see it in some yogurts and have stayed away from it just incase.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Kosher gelatine is made of fish skin and bones (eekes!), so it's not safe.
    (Geez, kosher rules are complicated!)
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Kosher gelatine is made of fish skin and bones (eekes!), so it's not safe.
    (Geez, kosher rules are complicated!)

As a pescetarian, this is actually a really good thing to know. Definitely buying kosher gelatin from not on.