Sunday lunch shock!!

Options
I just went out, unexpectedly, to Cafe Rouge for lunch. I avoided anything with cheese, cream or butter, thinking this would push the calorie count up. I chose lamb with mashed potato and green beans followed by Tarte Tatin.

When I got home I looked up the calorie count to find the lamb was 1065 cals, and the Tarte was 449 cals. The lamb particularly was a lot more than I expected!

Sigh. Now I'm way over my calorie count for today.

Replies

• Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    Well it sounds delicious! be happy you had a wonderful lunch. Take it easy on cals the rest of the day and back on track tomorrow. :-)
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    for future reference lamb tends to be very fatty and therefore high calorie and mash potato is usually full of cream and butter.

we've all done it though, just add in some more exercise this week.
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Shiit, did they bathe it in butter/oil or something? :| That's crazy!
  • Skych123
    Skych123 Posts: 96
    Options
    That sucks, I hate when you think you're making good choices and when you log them they're waaaaayyyyyy worse than you thought :grumble: just think of it as a learning experience.

If i know i'm going to dinner or something i'll try and look up the menu before I go so i can check out the numbers - too many surprises have made me wary hahaha
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I had pretty much the same issue with Harvester today! Picked what I thought was a healthy option - grilled chicken breast, mash potato, corn on the cob and gravy. I avoided bread rolls, and only had two spoonfuls of pasta from the salad bar. I drank pepsi max and had fruit skewers with a mini pot of ice cream for pudding. 860 calories!! I was shocked!
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I think most main meals in restaurants are about 1000 calories. I try to plan where we are going if we are eating out so I can look at the menu and find out how many calories are in my choices.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I love gyro's but stay away cause they are really high in calories. Sucks.

All you can do is know lesson learned and move on.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Well it sounds delicious! be happy you had a wonderful lunch. Take it easy on cals the rest of the day and back on track tomorrow. :-)

Ditto this. If you are going to cheat make it worth it. Learn from the past look to the future.
  • lulu3561
    lulu3561 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just get back on track the rest of the day and don't let this discourage you from moving forward.
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Get back on track-tomorrows another day dont feel bad. We have all been there.
  • vanessairene
    vanessairene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    huge portions, hidden and empty calories in potatoes and the tarte...

Drink lots of water today. Move on tomorrow.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    oooh hate it when that happens! I ate the most calorie filled VEGETABLE egg rolls (2) last night. I was shocked when I looked it up. Luckily, I had the calories for it, but sodium was out of this world!
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just went out, unexpectedly, to Cafe Rouge for lunch. I avoided anything with cheese, cream or butter, thinking this would push the calorie count up. I chose lamb with mashed potato and green beans followed by Tarte Tatin.

When I got home I looked up the calorie count to find the lamb was 1065 cals, and the Tarte was 449 cals. The lamb particularly was a lot more than I expected!

Sigh. Now I'm way over my calorie count for today.

you can always have a good workout today to make up for some of the extra calories you consumed at lunch... so that you could come closer to your goal... just a suggestion :)
  • psse01
    psse01 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have had the same experience so now I try and make sure I track it before I eat it...it helps to see what the damages will be so I (usually) will make a better choice. I have REALLY been craving wings but I have a feeling that when I see what I'm really getting I will pass....sigh. :)

Don't beat your self up...it starts a downward spiral...just forgive yourself and try and stay focused.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Dine out portions are soooo large these days! I always plan on getting 2 meals at least, out of what ever I order. Ask your server for a box and divide you meal in two and package up half before you eat. That way you are not tempted to over eat.

We have a diner that we love to go to - soup, salad bar, entree w two veggies and desert are all included in the meal. I tend to have my cup of soup, fill up on the fresh greens.veg from the salad bar with salsa instead of dressing. Then nibble on my entree, box it up and have the desert. I usually can have at least two additional meals from my leftovers! Don't know how they stay in business whit what they charge! But I've never had a bad meal and the place is all ways busy!

As for now - go have a nice walk and tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life!
  • sevfam
    sevfam Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think most main meals in restaurants are about 1000 calories. I try to plan where we are going if we are eating out so I can look at the menu and find out how many calories are in my choices.

I hate restaurants! You'll get back on track. At least you know not to have that next time!
  • Wilson336
    Options
    Anything at a restaurant is usually going to be flooded with oil/fat/butter in an effort to make it more flavorful. With that said, at least you kept calories in mind when you made your order....Maybe get the mobile app so you can check calories on the fly at a restaurant (if you have a smart phone)?
  • cugglybear
    cugglybear Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am just going to chalk this one down to experience and have a loooong walk tomorrow!!

At least I really enjoyed the meal, and it was brilliantly cooked. It would be terrible to 'spend' all those calories on food you didn't really enjoy!