Best workout DVDs for a (not in very good form) beginner

Options
Hello all,

I'm 35 years old and want to get in shape. I would like to lose about 3/4 kilos, plus have lean muscles (and who knows some day been able to see the famous 6-pack)

Basically i've been very lazy about exercising for the last 4/5 years (previously i used to go the the gym regularly to do some cardio) And now every time i try to do some exercise it's pretty obvious that i'm not fit at all (soon i'm our of breath, have no resistance, and then all my body aches for several days)

However i'm willing to start again, and have been looking for information on the internet. There are so many workouts out there that it's hard to choose one. Which one do you think it's better for some like me?

- Beachbody Les Mills Pump
- Beachbody Power 90 / Power 90 Master Series
- Supreme 90
- Body Revolution by J. Michaels (or some other by her)
- Other (Cathe 4 day split?)

I assume that currently I cannot think about trying advanced workouts like rushfit, tapout, p90x, insanity...

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    check out leslie sansone on you tube… her walking videos get you moving. The other ones I have been checking out are the "ballet beautiful" ones (google Ballet Beautiful).

I think Wii Fit is the best place to start, if you have access to one.
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Bro, why not?

I am 32yo, i started with insanity and tapout xt (and sometimes turbojam&hip hop abs) on august 6th, before august 6th i s was a heavy smoker of tobacco and marihuana, heavy drinker(whiskey,3 bottles in a week) and junkfood junky ( i ate when i wanted and what i wanted)

I quietted everything on august 6th and started with insanity in the evenings and the second day i added tapout in the mornings, i am not gonna lie, the first day i though i would get a heart attack on the spot and the rest of the week everything in my body was aching, i couldt walk normal for 4 days and could't move my arms normal for 3.

This is my 12th day of change, i havent cheated in smoking&drinking, i havent taken any candy, fat or other **** only clean food and i drink water and green tea all day.

What i am saying, if i can do it, you sure hell can!!
  • mjvasko
    mjvasko Posts: 37
    Options
    I started with P90X, but the lean version - look it up, it's in the fitness manual.

By the time I was done with the first work out, I was whooped. And really, it was like that for the first two weeks.

It got better, and by the end, I was down something like 25 lbs!
  • evademers
    Options
    I did Dancing off the inches, you can buy it at walmart for 25 dollars. Its 3 CDs and its fun if you like to dance. Its what I did when I first started :)
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    turbo jam, jillian michael's 30 day shred
  • Alfonsero
    Options
    Thanks a lot to everyone!

I’m totally impressed with RotterdamNL and the changed you’ve just made in your habits! Congrats! And thanks for the support (“ if i can do it, you sure hell can!!”) but I’ve seen again the promotional videos of Tapout and Insanity (OMG!!!!) and I’m sure I’d die if I tried these workouts!

I’ll take a look to the new proposals I did not know (Leslie Sansone and Dance Off The Inches) and then will make up my mind. Now my favorite seems to be Les Mills Pump because it’s intense, but not too much, it does not require a lot of stuff, the workouts are not too long, and there are 3/4 workouts per week (which seems OK considering my current level of fitness)

Cheers!
  • lrpitts64
    lrpitts64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    rotterdemNL , your post is very encouraging, i am trying to get in shape, so i have decided to stop smoking and eat more healthy foods. i am 48yo and was thinking of ordering Insanity but was worried because of mine weight, smoking and age- but after reading your post, i am going to go ahead and order it... it make take me some time to getup to speed but i will not give up...thanks again for your post

also thanks for the other good suggestions, i will check them too
  • jnorkus
    jnorkus Posts: 2
    Options
    HI,

The first step is always the toughest. I think you're there and ready for change. I'm an Independant Beachbody Coach so I'm very familiar with their line of products and it's part of what I do - helping people decide. I'd ask you a few questions like, what are you're goals (healthy, lose wight, muscles, stay lean..?), how much time do you have to commit (is an hour a day too much), do you prefer cardio or weight training,and what type of trainer do you like (in your face or soft and supportive). Do not be afraid of the P90x's and Insanity's everything is based off of moderation and doing your personal best. If Tony Horton does 35 of something you do 3 - it's ok. But week by week you better yourself. Hit me up if you want any details. www.jimnorkus.com Also 10 Minute trainer is also a great one to start with (one less snooze a day and you've worked out)

Take Care
    Jim
    jim.norkus@gmail.com
  • jnorkus
    jnorkus Posts: 2
    Options
    Oh and I'm 44....

One thing too, seek out others doing the same thing you are - keeps you movitated and accountable.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Bro, why not?

I am 32yo, i started with insanity and tapout xt (and sometimes turbojam&hip hop abs) on august 6th, before august 6th i s was a heavy smoker of tobacco and marihuana, heavy drinker(whiskey,3 bottles in a week) and junkfood junky ( i ate when i wanted and what i wanted)

I quietted everything on august 6th and started with insanity in the evenings and the second day i added tapout in the mornings, i am not gonna lie, the first day i though i would get a heart attack on the spot and the rest of the week everything in my body was aching, i couldt walk normal for 4 days and could't move my arms normal for 3.

This is my 12th day of change, i havent cheated in smoking&drinking, i havent taken any candy, fat or other **** only clean food and i drink water and green tea all day.

What i am saying, if i can do it, you sure hell can!!

this. just don't give up if one thing is too hard, try it a few times and keep moving until the next move comes up.
  • ChunkiChica
    Options
    I am slowly working my way through the Zumba DVD set. If you have good knees, I would recommend it as a beginner. I'm 24 yrs old and started at 246.5 lbs with a height of 5' 5.5". I found the beginners program challenging but doable.
  • Hmwarren84
    Hmwarren84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Insanity is so far kicking my *kitten*, but in a good way! It is definitely worth the work! I also just quit smoking about 2 1/2 weeks ago. So I am still getting short winded at times. I just push through it. I also do various other dvd's including Jillian Micheals 30 day shed (this is one that is most recommended on here) and extreme shed and shred. I have a collection of the Firm DVDs (all of which are fun and are easy to follow along). Good luck on your weightloss and I hope you enjoy Insanity as much as I am.
  • justaskforbrandy
    justaskforbrandy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I first started getting healthier a few years ago, I used the 30 Day Shred. I was a beginner and this helped me lose 30lbs in 2 months (also by staying in my calories and walking at least once a day) It has three different stages/levels that you build yourself up to & each one only takes 30 minutes, so I found it to be perfect!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00127RAJY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00127RAJY&linkCode=as2&tag=gettinhealthf-20

I recently tried doing the p90x dvds, but I liked the 30 Day Shred way better!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I am a former Army Master Fitness Trainer, I would recommend the 100 Pushup program as a good starting point here is a link, its free, you can start from any level of fitness and there are more programs to build on.

http://hundredpushups.com/

11612650_5759.jpg
  • khowell2012
    Options
    Great question! I'm always completely stuck when it comes to choosing fitness DVDs. I found out that the Jillian Michaels one is the best selling one in the UK at the moment so I guess it's got to be good! http://www.theranktank.com/sport-and-leisure/best-workout-dvd/
    :flowerforyou: