BF% Help Me Lower Mine?

Options
Okay I have a HUGE problem- I weigh 146 lbs but my BF% is 29%. Does anyone know how to trim down the fat- when I stand up my stomach looks sort of okay not flat but not huge- when I lean over you can see all the hanging fat. I would like to know any advice. Feel free to tell me about my diet or exercise and be critical! I need to make changes & start getting rid of fat to tone up. I feel so disgusted with myself at this point- even though I've lost weight... None of it was fat! I'm currently doing Turbo Jam around 20 minutes/day every day almost. If this isn't enough tell me now! I don't know where I went wrong. All of my measurements are on my profile & my diary is open to everyone.

Replies

• GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Whats your mode of testing for body fat %?
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Whats your mode of testing for body fat %?

I used a weight to hip ratio calculator online. I don't have any other way to do it.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, you might consider meeting with a personal trainer. (s)he will be able to customize a plan for you to get you increasing lean mass while decreasing bodyfat.

Hiring a personal trainer is on my wishlist right now.
  • GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you check with your local community colleges they usually offer free skin fold body composition testing, which is a little more accurate than hip ratio testing. I mention it cuz honestly 29% sounds a little high based on your pics :)
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Options
    If you can afford it, you might consider meeting with a personal trainer. (s)he will be able to customize a plan for you to get you increasing lean mass while decreasing bodyfat.

Hiring a personal trainer is on my wishlist right now.

I can't afford anything sadly- I have 200/month for food and anything else I need. I'm a stay at home wife, and live with my grandparents still. Just graduated High School this month & got married in April. Just need some advice as to what I should do to get my BF % down. I def. haven't even lost a size in jeans yet. I've lost 25 lbs but my inches haven't gone down much either. I feel the same as before.
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    don't believe everything you read online. a 300 pound bodybuilder with 2% bodyfat would be considered morbidly obese. pretty messed up! my boyfriend is "obese" according to his BMI, but he definitely isnt. our bodies are all different, the calculators only work for some people
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    First off- congrats on your loss so far! To lose inches and lower BF%, you have to work on strength training. I have lost 20 inches and lowered my body fat percentage by 8% by doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred workout DVD. Have you tried that or any similar circuit training videos?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    1.) Go here to set up your calorie intake and macronutrients:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

2.) Get your protein intake up to about 0.8g/lb of bodyweight (minimum) and start a strength training program. If you don't have weights or access to a gym, do a bodyweight program like "Convict Conditioning" or "You Are Your Own Gym". Adequate protein intake and strength training helps you preserve lean body mass while you lose fat (in other words, you'll lose fat instead of muscle).

Understand that building muscle while in a caloric deficit is very, very difficult. Doing the above will help you keep what muscle mass you already have while losing fat, but you're not going to build an appreciable amount of new muscle. To build muscle, your body needs a caloric excess (eating above your TDEE/maintenance calories).
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Options
    First off- congrats on your loss so far! To lose inches and lower BF%, you have to work on strength training. I have lost 20 inches and lowered my body fat percentage by 8% by doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred workout DVD. Have you tried that or any similar circuit training videos?

I am doing 30 Day Shred off and on along with Turbo Jam.
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Weights!! Do whatever weight/resistance training you can. Even if you can't afford to buy hand weights or a gym membership, you can use partially filled gallon jugs or other heavy objects around your house. Find a nice balanced workout online (for free!) and get lifting!!
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

I am doing 30 Day Shred off and on along with Turbo Jam.

Ok, awesome :) Just continue to push yourself during every workout, and be patient... but the results will happen if you're diligent.
    How do you like Turbo Jam, btw? I haven't heard much about it and I'm thinking about choosing that as my next workout dvd