High Calorie night - what do I do today..??

Options
I feel like this is always the case - but I had a very high caloric night last night (drinking and snacking) and am curious what the best way to handle today is... Should I resume like normal, eat my regular meals, maybe workout and just go about my normal routine (which is what I have always done in the past) or should I do something different today and "shock it" so that my body burns the extra calories from yesterday? I find that sometimes if I over eat and don't work out the next day, I don't miss a beat. Other times I feel like I have to work extra hard throughout the next week to make up for it... I don't want the later, I did really good last week and don't want to ruin good progress. Help! :/

Replies

• drearewal
    Options
    Nobody's perfect, and it's okay to go a little overboard every now and then. I would make sure to drink plenty of water to cleanse yourself of the sugars and such from your snacks, and resume as normal. :)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I like to make green smoothies for myself when I've overdone it the day before. Green tea, parsley, raw ginger, celery, pineapple, oranges, apples, spinach, lemon or lime juice, maybe some yogurt blended tastes so good and refreshing. All those super foods at low calories has me feeling like I'm undoing some damage.
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It's going to happen. You can't stop enjoying life because you're trying to lose weight. Sometimes a high calorie "cheat day" or meal (which often happens at the end of a day and makes one feel like their whole day is messed up) can shock your metabolism and help your goals. I also had a higher calorie day yesterday because of wine. Darned wine! LOL!

Today is a new day. Start anew and don't worry about it. There's no need to feel guilty or punish yourself. Just start today fresh. My biggest struggle with having a "fun" night like I did last night is that though I feel great (thanks to all the water I drink), I'm really hungry. So I'm trying to pace myself with the food and good choices today. It's tough.

Again, every meal is a new chance to start fresh. Every day is a new day. We can't live life with guilt and punish ourselves for yesterday because we made the "wrong" food or drink choices. Life isn't about that. Life is here for us to enjoy. And if that's what you enjoyed yesterday then feel good about that. And feel good that TODAY you'll make good choices for this day. And at the end of this day, you'll feel accomplished.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    In general, its really up to you.

Most people end up having a cheat day. I do it occasionally as well. You can either do a massive burn day before it, like I try to do, or just count it as a cheat day and recognize that it will slow down your goals by a small margin.

The important part is making sure its not a habit to cheat 3x a week or something. Slow and steady gets the results that you want, and not losing hope because you overdid it on one day is important.

Go play some tennis, go surfing, go dancing, whatever it takes to make you feel like you are back on track.
  • asitshouldbe
    Options
    I agree, just continue on like normal. Don't punish yourself by cutting back today. You did nothing wrong by living your life a little extra on occasion! I also agree with the fluids, which should be a daily thing anyways, but flush your body.

It's ok to have a splurge night once and a while! BTW you're beautiful! :happy:
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise like crazy, drink a ton of water, keep my day to fresh veggies and try to identify the trigger for last night.
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My personal preference is to think of your diet goals on a weekly outlook rather than a daily. It is very easy to make corrections like this, even more-so if you eat 5-6 meals a day.
  • 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I decided some yoga might do the trick and once again it did... I was sweating my butt off!!

I feel great, ate a yummy lunch and I'm going to adjust my dailies throughout the week so that if I accidentally pour that whole bottle of wine on a Saturday night I only have the hangover to deal with. ;)

Happy Sunday!