Absolutely ridiculous...

Options
I joined MFP to learn how to lose weight in a healthy manner, I have been to my family physician which had authorized a 1200 calorie a day diet, with rigorous exercise. So, I decided after hearing a bunch of raving reviews about MFP to join and make an account. But the only thing I have found to even be remotely helpful, has been the calorie counting, and some threads that had wonderful topics, and information in them. This information however, does not always answer the questions I have, therefor I will make a thread asking questions...only to find that not a single person has responded. It gets quite frustrating to be honest, as I see stuff in the chit chat category(hottest guy on MFP) that has 10-15 or more pages of nothing related to health, but I can't get a single answer to a single question.

Now I understand fully, that the information or answer to my one question lies somewhere on MFP forums, and people hate answering the same questions over and over, but the reality of it is, in order to find the answer(s) to my one single question, I have to spend HOURS searching these forums, and I don't have HOURS to sit on my rear end looking for the information. I am not asking for a 50 page essay to the answer, just a 5 minute response to my question....the same time it takes to post about the hottest guy on MFP.

This is supposed to be a forum to help and support people trying to lose weight in a healthy manner.....then where is the support? Because I have not gotten a single answer to any of my threads. Sure I have friends on MFP, but it seems like some of them fall into MFP's automatic "1200 calorie" settings which the site gives every single person who makes an account. I was eating an unhealthy amount due to misleading advice, and when I reached out for answers....I didn't get any. It absolutely shocks me that some people will not add people to their friends list if they are eating 1200 calories or below, but yet no one here offer's the help or advice saying that 1200 calories is not for everyone.

To me, it seems like a lot of people who have now found their happiness with reaching their goals, fall victim to the "I'm better than everyone else" attitude.

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    so what was the question?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Can I ask where you are in the world? There are a lot of USians on here, and if you post a question during their sleep time there's a fair chance no-one will see it. Or maybe cant answer it.

Also, how are you phrasing your question?
  • Mistila
    Mistila Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel this way. I kinda know what you mean but I also realize that its really easy for out questions to get lost....so keep asking:smile:
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    so what was the question?

seriously. confused. :-/
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Part of the problem is the system: new posts can get buried very quickly, and so don't get spotted by anyone.

What are some of your questions?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP to learn how to lose weight in a healthy manner, I have been to my family physician which had authorized a 1200 calorie a day diet, with rigorous exercise. So, I decided after hearing a bunch of raving reviews about MFP to join and make an account. But the only thing I have found to even be remotely helpful, has been the calorie counting, and some threads that had wonderful topics, and information in them. This information however, does not always answer the questions I have, therefor I will make a thread asking questions...only to find that not a single person has responded. It gets quite frustrating to be honest, as I see stuff in the chit chat category(hottest guy on MFP) that has 10-15 or more pages of nothing related to health, but I can't get a single answer to a single question.

Now I understand fully, that the information or answer to my one question lies somewhere on MFP forums, and people hate answering the same questions over and over, but the reality of it is, in order to find the answer(s) to my one single question, I have to spend HOURS searching these forums, and I don't have HOURS to sit on my rear end looking for the information. I am not asking for a 50 page essay to the answer, just a 5 minute response to my question....the same time it takes to post about the hottest guy on MFP.

This is supposed to be a forum to help and support people trying to lose weight in a healthy manner.....then where is the support? Because I have not gotten a single answer to any of my threads. Sure I have friends on MFP, but it seems like some of them fall into MFP's automatic "1200 calorie" settings which the site gives every single person who makes an account. I was eating an unhealthy amount due to misleading advice, and when I reached out for answers....I didn't get any. It absolutely shocks me that some people will not add people to their friends list if they are eating 1200 calories or below, but yet no one here offer's the help or advice saying that 1200 calories is not for everyone.

To me, it seems like a lot of people who have now found their happiness with reaching their goals, fall victim to the "I'm better than everyone else" attitude.

Re-post your question in two sentences or less and see how it goes.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Everyone is here because they enjoy talking on forums. They're not here specifically to provide incisive answers to people's questions, and some questions are going to promote more interest than others. If you don't get the answers you want after a couple of bumps, have you considered rewording the question?
    No one has hours on end to spend searching through for answers, but also no one has to sit here answering every question that comes on to the board. Sometimes people just want to go into chit chat and be banal. And that's their choice.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons

1) People currently reading the forum may not know the answer
    2) Lots of posts so yours may get lost

Honestly, I peruse the forums, don't read every thread but try to read a few and respond to a few
  • tabooski
    tabooski Posts: 89
    Options
    all that typing and you didn't give us a question to answer.
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    1200 isnt healthy thats why. you should look into BMR's and why it's important to always eat atleast your BMR.
  • jbarlow715
    Options
    I read your whole post and you still havent said what your question is. Everyone has been so helpful to me. I am new at this, but have been doing a lot of research. I usually dont respond to people's questions because I am so "new" and dont want to give false information. If you would repeat your question I could probably point you in the right direction. Not to sound "mean", but the anger probably isnt making people want to help. You catch more bees with honey. So . . . . .what is your question?
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You need to think about marketing. Someone mentioned the time you post the thread. Another thing to think about is a catchy thread title. Make people want to read it and then you'll get people responding

Edited to add: I don't think there was a question in here, just a frustrated complaint about a lack of response and thus support. I get it. I posted a thread once too find no one responded to it and then copied it but changed the title. That helped get respondents
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, a question would help. I'm dying to assist.

Realistically, this forum is a great source of information and opinion. You have to sift through some of the crap to find the good stuff, but that's the case with every internet site. If you don't want to read 'rate the hotty above you' nonsense, stay out of chat. I find the best discussions tend to take place on fitness and exercise, and that people there are genuinely extremely helpful.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Well, I've even taken the time to look through your posting history to see if you have an unanswered question out there somewhere, and can't spot it....
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    1200 isnt healthy thats why. you should look into BMR's and why it's important to always eat atleast your BMR.

Not true, depends how overweight you are.

I did 1200 for awhile with no problems at all as have many others here. In my fact, my doctor asked was I was doing because my numbers improved so much (BP, choles, etc) after doing it for a month.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Part of the problem is the system: new posts can get buried very quickly, and so don't get spotted by anyone.

What are some of your questions?

Is true.

And this goes for the funny posts as much as the serious ones.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Re-post your question in two sentences or less and see how it goes.

^^ This, no doubt. Brevity is your friend in the forums.
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    I totally left out my question didn't I? Sorry, I'm running off of mommy brain today.

I don't understand my Micro and Macros. I sort of know what they are, but as far as judging how much I should eat compared to how many calories I take in every day is just confusing. I know my TDEE and my BMR, but don't know if the calories I should consume are my net calories or my goal calories? I consume between 1500-1800 calories, varied because I'm a full time mom of 5 children. But I only net between 900 and 1200 calories, even though I reach the amount on the goal side of it.

I hope this makes sense. I have asked my family physician, and the only thing he did was test my cholesterol and told me that it wasn't high. But he really never gave me any feed back, besides that I should consider a very low carb diet. I did try a low carb diet, but I suffered greatly from it, and really dragged *kitten*....something I can't afford being a mother of so many children and a full time student.

Anyways, thank you. And I wasn't bashing EVERYONE here, but it is very frustrating to have basically no help at all. I just want to be healthy so I can be here for my kids for a long time.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Don't take it so personally....my posts barely ever get replies either! Must be the way we write lol!!
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Not true, depends how overweight you are.

I did 1200 for awhile with no problems at all as have many others here.

you're right, the rule just always applied to me because i didn't have too much weight to lose (30 pounds)