Absolutely ridiculous...

Options

Replies

• momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Go search for the "In place of a road map" post. Tons of info to help you.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    with the TDEE method there is not "net" or eating back of exrcise calories, your calorie allowance is the same every day as this takes into account you average weekly activity levels.

Best place to start for weight loss TDEE minus 10-20% however remember his is just a guideline figure, keep to the same calorie intake for 2-3 weeks then adjust as needed, I would not adjust calories up or down by more than 200 at a time.

if you have not much to lose, the 10% under TDEE, if you have a fair amount of weight to lose then 20% under.

actual macro ratios are down to personal preference and what type of exercise you are doing, realistically there will not be much, if any, difference from 40/40/20 to 35/35/30 for example.
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    1200 isnt healthy thats why. you should look into BMR's and why it's important to always eat atleast your BMR.

I'm sorry, but I must disagree with this statement.

I've gotten the go ahead from my doctor AND licensed personal trainer/nutritionist that a 1200 calorie a day diet is ok for me, so long as they are good, clean calories. I'm not sure about the OP's situation, but, I know in my case, my bootylisciousness has enough to spare....NOT GONNA STARVE! Nor am I hurting myself.

I have felt the same way with some of the more immature posts on here...however, I know I am also not the youngest chickadee here. I personally, think the 'rate the person above you' is a COMPLETE oxymoron to why we are all on this site-but, if that's the crap people want to subject themselves to, knock yourself out. I agree with an earlier post that mentioned your subject title. Aside from that-just keep posting.

Best of luck to you and feel free to add me if you are looking for some serious (yet sarcastic and good humoured) support.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you should read up on basic nutrition.

Here is a website that covers some of the basics
    http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/index.html

As far as macronutrients (carbs, protein, fat), everyone is going to have their own opinion on what is best and the truth is there is no best. You have to have a mix of all 3. MFP sets you to a basic guideline but you can modify as you see fit.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    asking for help on an MFP forums is like being asked to get killed and eaten. ask in waters where no sharks swim.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    A Lot of days i struggle to eat 1200 But then other days i eat 1500.
    My Limit is 1580 but most the time its between 1200-1400.
    I see nothing wrong with it. If im hungry i eat. I Never starve my self.
  • PerfectAndi
    Options
    I know how you feel! I've only been on a few days but I've already noticed it.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I totally left out my question didn't I? Sorry, I'm running off of mommy brain today.

I don't understand my Micro and Macros. I sort of know what they are, but as far as judging how much I should eat compared to how many calories I take in every day is just confusing. I know my TDEE and my BMR, but don't know if the calories I should consume are my net calories or my goal calories? I consume between 1500-1800 calories, varied because I'm a full time mom of 5 children. But I only net between 900 and 1200 calories, even though I reach the amount on the goal side of it.

You should really eat between your TDEE and BMR, and in an ideal world you should net your BMR. (Others may disagree, but this is a sane, healthy and pleasant approach to weightloss - and why be hungry if you don't have to be!?) However, on very heavy exercise days, I try to use the TDEE - 500 (ish) guideline. This works reasonably well for me. I workout most days, and because I'm a runner, sometimes that can be a pretty significant calorie burn (long runs etc). I generally eat roughly 2k, most days.

I'd set up your profile so that your protein is a little higher than MFP suggests and your carbs a little lower. The default MFP settings are based on the standard western diet recommendations, but the balance of opinion is that this is a bit skewed towards (cheap) carbs.

Could you be a bit more specific about what you want to know about micros?
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    1200 isnt healthy thats why. you should look into BMR's and why it's important to always eat atleast your BMR.

Not true, depends how overweight you are.

I did 1200 for awhile with no problems at all as have many others here.

I'm not sure if I agree with that , I am 6 foot tall was more than 300lb and the dr I saw told me to drop my cals to 1200 and not to eat back my exercise cals. I ride 10 miles per day , by the time it was lunch time I felt really bad , dizzy when I stood up etc I spoke to my dietician and she told me to up my cals to 1500 and try and get snacks between meals with the extra cals . I sometimes feel 1500 isn't enough if I've really pushed myself on the bike . I am still considered morbidly obese but only have a few lbs to being labelled severely obese lol
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm not angry, just frustrated. It is so hard to read stuff online and understand the true emotions behind it. Meerkat- I have posted a question about my net calories, eating back exercise calories(answered on someone elses thread), and I think one other question got unanswered. I am fairly new to the whole "forum" thing, the closest thing to a forum that I have ever been on is FB sadly lol. So as far as forum etiquette goes, I sadly lack in that category. I know how to post questions, and search around, but as far as marketing as someone mentioned, I suck.

I know someone said to stay out of the chat area if I don't like those types of topics....it's not that I search them, but when I got to the forum home page, the category is on the main page, and brings up the most recent thread that has been posted on.

So again, I am not angry....I'm frustrated, and not entirely frustrated with MFP, but I think I am also frustrated at the lack of my forum etiquette.

Sorry if I pissed anyone off.....
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Now that that's settled, who is your vote for hottest guy on MFP?

:wink:
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Not true, depends how overweight you are.

I did 1200 for awhile with no problems at all as have many others here.

I'm not sure if I agree with that , I am 6 foot tall was more than 300lb and the dr I saw told me to drop my cals to 1200 and not to eat back my exercise cals. I ride 10 miles per day , by the time it was lunch time I felt really bad , dizzy when I stood up etc I spoke to my dietician and she told me to up my cals to 1500 and try and get snacks between meals with the extra cals . I sometimes feel 1500 isn't enough if I've really pushed myself on the bike . I am still considered morbidly obese but only have a few lbs to being labelled severely obese lol

*shrug* it may have not worked you, but you missed my edited part
    In my fact, my doctor asked was I was doing because my numbers improved so much (BP, choles, etc) after doing it for a month.
    it does work for a lot people, not saying it works for everyone who has a a lot to lose.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I hope this helps regarding intake:
    This site is designed to give you a net calorie goal. It asks what your activity level is outside of exercise, etc and a few simple questions. Although one of the questions you answer is how much exercise you PLAN to complete each week, that exercise is simply a goal and is not taken into account until you actually complete it.
    Having said that, if you want to use the site in the simplest way, the goal would be to try and net your initial calorie goal each day. So if your goal is 1200 but you burned 300 in exercise, you eat 1500 that day. I used this method from the beginning and was very successful in a short amount of time. And I didn't wreck my metabolism. So now I can just eat and eat :)
    I never ate below 1420 net and to be honest most of my weight loss came at 1600 or so net. But everyone is different. Many are probably given a goal of 1200 because they say they want to lose more than 1 pound per week. MFP will not give you a goal below 1200, so naturally many will be given that goal. But it is based on what you input. If you have less than 40 pounds to lose, you really shouldn't aim to lose more than one pound per week anyway. This will give you time to lose more of the weight from water and fat, not lean muscle. And if you complete strength training in the process, you will get even better results!
    Best of luck to you, just try the site out and honestly don't worry so much about BMR TDEE etc. The simplest use of the site can still give you great results. It's really about your own dedication and work.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Wild Wall of Text Appears!
    Trainer flees!
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    I haven't been around long enough....but the cowboy is pretty hot :blushing:

Yes, curiosity got the best of me....

Now I guess I may have got the TDEE BMR thing messed up. I have read the thread road maps, but I didn't understand a lot of it because I am so new to this, and really never even knew that there were "net calories" or eating back exercise calories. Once I started reading more and more, I found that being healthy is a lot more than just eating 1200 calories a day and working out.

I'm 4'11 and 131lbs. I started at 143lbs but lost a lot after I quit drinking soda, and actually eating. I was only eating one meal a day, as I made excuses to not find time to eat breakfast and lunch. But after getting startling news from my family, I decided it was time to cut out all excuses and take back the control over my life.

My BMR is 1340 and my TDEE is 2017. I have manually set my goal calories to 1500, as that's as low as I usually go, but I do sometimes go up to 1800 calories. I am about to start my second week of Insanity tomorrow.

As far as micro and macros go...What is the difference between the 2? I only thought micro's existed and never knew about macros until I read a post where someone mentioned macros but gave no explanation. I guess I can play around with my carb intake to see how much I can cut without suffering from dead tiredness and flu like symptoms.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Most docs don't have a clue about nutrition unless they've gone out of their way to get trained in it.

To answer your question - start here. You'll have to study it a bit but if you work through it methodically it should help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Second, your "net" is what MFP is geared to. The "goal" is a calculated intake _before exercise_ so if you're moving around alot or in a formal exercise program (or whatever) you burn additional calories which are then deducted from your goal number...requiring you to eat more to get your net closer to your goal. The basic idea is to fuel the body so you have more energy to get moving more, etc.

Hopefully Dan's "in place of a roadmap" will help.
  • birdies13
    birdies13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    MFP set my daily calorie intake at 1200.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    asking for help on an MFP forums is like being asked to get killed and eaten. ask in waters where no sharks swim.

Sadly so very true. Ask a question and you get answered by hundreds of angry "experts".
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ^ Notwithstanding the fact that this thread has spiraled off into the usual n=1 arguments, there's the answer to your question - it's in Helloitsdan's first post in the above linked thread.