Just getting started and need all the advice I can use!

Options
Tomorrow will be my one month mark on my diet. But just started using this program and definately would like advice from people. I am almost 40~ sparking my motivation to take some pounds off, barely over 5 feet tall. I am down 12.5 the first month, and have a goal of 15-20 more pounds off. I am sure because I am using Phentermine currently that I have lost more the first month. I have not been sticking to my 1200 calorie diet...only using about 600-700 daily due to loss of hunger and excercising with walking 5 miles outside at least 6 days a week. Eating those few calories was strictly out of ignorance...I am not someone who diets alot so with lack of research and no hunger from the pill..I thought not eating was a good idea. Now after this website I will be changing that but need advice on what good things I can be eating daily to fill those calories. Been getting so many mixed ideas from people it has been making me frustrated on what to eat or not eat. When I see the break down of carbs, protein, sodium, sugar and such on the app~ are there some that are more important than others to not go over? Do I simply worry about calories? What fruits are best to have...learning that bananas I should steer clear of. Any sample food diaries on here? With my work schedule and family life...to say that I will NEVER eat processed foods, dairy, wheat, is not realistic. I need something that I can make a realistic lifestyle change and stick with it. I have cut out my Diet Coke addiction in attempt to stay away from the artificial sweetner and so far that has not killed me, lol but would like something tasty other than water to choose from and unfortunately I do not like tea. Someone also told me that TOO much walking was burning off my muscle and hindering weight loss? Just need some advice.

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    my advice is to IMMEDIATELY increase your calories to something sustainable and healthy--at least 1200, more if you're exercising. this is a process. don't expect overnight results. nourish your body and it will reward you.
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Give yourself some fuel, and continue to put it to good use! I'm the same age as you are and only recently fixed my diet after many failed attempts at fitness programs. This time it's sticking (or rather I should say it's coming off and staying off)! Lots of support here on this site, and lots of good advice from people who have already fought the battle and won or are currently working the pounds off. Feel free to add me if you'd like, we can trade encouragement.
  • scb18
    scb18 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have tried so many diets over the years as I've always battled with my weight and I can honestly say MFP works. Cutting out the diet soda is a big step! I had an addiction to soda as well but realized that it's bad for your body and actually makes you more hungry. Drinking enough water is a huge thing as it helps flush out your system. I still eat processed foods - I grew up on them and I know I'll never be able to eliminate them. It's just about moderation. Try to eat more fruits and veggies and fill up on those. I personally just pay attention to the calories and grams of fat. Either way, it's important to not go over your numbers for everything else. There are some days where I'm negative in one or two things but I don't let that discourage me. I've still been losing weight regardless. Good luck! :)
  • ntarrence
    ntarrence Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Any examples of what type of foods you eat in your day?
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    I was diagnosed earlier this year with high blood pressure and diabetes. MFP has been the best thing to come along for me. I've lost over 30 pounds now and am doing great! I have reduced my meds and the doctor is VERY pleased with my progress. I eat "normal". I don't freak out because I go over one day. I walk every day and will begin to add some resistance bands into my routine soon. I have my goals set for 1500 calories with my carb, protein and fats set at 40/30/30.
    You can do this! The most important part is what you've already done! Now keep it up!
  • Ellegirl22
    Ellegirl22 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just signed up on here today. Was shocked at how many calories I had already consumed by lunch of my allotted 1200! I hope being more mindful of what I eat helps because nothing else seems too!! After 3 kids and just turning 43 I am frustrated with how difficult it is to lose weight and then keep it off. Wish me luck!
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    I just signed up on here today. Was shocked at how many calories I had already consumed by lunch of my allotted 1200! I hope being more mindful of what I eat helps because nothing else seems too!! After 3 kids and just turning 43 I am frustrated with how difficult it is to lose weight and then keep it off. Wish me luck!
    First of all good luck! You can do this! I remember when I first got on MFP, I started searching all kinds of foods on the database and was just SHOCKED at how much I had been eating in the past! I never ate a lot of food at one sitting but the quality of the food I ate was the problem. MFP is awesome. You're gonna love it!
    Y'all are all welcome to add me as a friend, too.