1st half marathon help needed!!!!!

Options
Well I have actually plucked up the courage and booked my place in the Brighton half marathon in February! (eek!!) thing is I have only just started running and am doing c25k (week 4) but need any advice to help me along the way, I'm trying to go for 2 hours flat but don't know if that is too ambitious!!! Please please any comments welcome :0)

Replies

• BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I don't think 2 hours is too ambitious. I am also doing C25K, just completed week 5 day 2 like 20 minutes ago. And, I made it nearly 3 miles (2.7 miles) walking and jogging for 35 minutes. I know I'm getting faster every week. Just keep training. February is a long way off. You'll be ready by then.

Edited for multiple type-os.
  • Klizbeth81
    Options
    Good for you for signing up! 1/2s are a great distance to run because you really do have to train for them but you feel so good and proud of yourself when you're done. Plus race day atmosphere and events are awesome, so get excited! As for advice, find a source of accountability. A running buddy, a running group in your area, a social network like on this site, or whatever else might motivate you to clock those long run. Check out Hal Higdon's website and training programs. They are a fail-safe. And cross train. I don't know if it works for everyone, but it makes a huge difference in my running performance if I also swim, lift, and do other forms of cardio. Have fun and good luck!
  • sleepy184
    sleepy184 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing a half marathon next year too. I was talking to a friend who said five weeks before the day you should be aiming to run 5 miles a day, the following week 6miles a day, the next 7 miles a day. The week before 8 miles a day and the the week of the marathon just 5 miles a day.

It sounds like a lot but currently I am doing 5 k most days do just need to build on that.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    add some strength training in you off days if you arent already doing it strong core helps with balance just as much as strong legs
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I am the 2Hour pace runner for our local Half Marathon. Each year there are a number of first-timers that I chat with as they pace themselves with me. It always impresses me how many of them have had less than six months training toward the event and how well they have done so far.

The common theme to getting to the start line (and finish) seems to be:
    1) Consistent runs (not necessarily long or fast, but getting out regularly - say 4 or 5 run a week)
    2) Sensible approach (do not get obsessed with missing a planned workout, take a rest day if you "feel" you need one - or two)
    3) Good Shoes (this does not necessarily mean expensive, but get your foot / style assessed professionally and wear the recommended shoe)
    4)Have a support group (friends that run with you, bike beside you as you run, generaly motivate, encourage and support you while you train and on the day)
    5) Have fun.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It is a mistake to tray and pick a goal time for your race right now because you have no basis for determining if it is realistic or not. You might even be able to go faster than that.

What you need to do is finish c25k and then follow a half marathon training plan. Sometime around Nov or Dec enter a 5k or 10k and race it as fast as you can. That result will give you a realistic idea of how fast you can race a half marathon at that stage of your fitness journey.
  • revjames
    revjames Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    did my first half in may at age 47 and been running for about a year. wanted sub 2 hrs but had awful pain in the right hip (IT bands) due to lack of proper stretching at the start. Ended up at 2:12 which I was happy with. Brighton will be a fairly flat route? I am training on hilly routes (I live in wales!) and my current times would give me about 1:58 but as the Bristol half next month and it is flat I am aiming for 1:50 this time
  • wndfrancis
    wndfrancis Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!
    My first half marathon is in one week, though its the second one I've trained for.
    My advice is to train for the distance, not for a time goal. Last year I trained hard, aiming for a specific time but went too hard too fast and ended up with a hip flexor injury and had to cut back to a 10k race instead of the half because I lost too much training.
    This year I'm aiming to finish - my time will be slow but I'm not bothered about that, I know I can do the distance and I'm going to enjoy the day.

Some more advice:
    - Find yourself a training program to follow, I've been loosely following the marathon rookie one
    - Build in at least 2 rest days each week, and mix up your training a bit with some different exercises (strenghth, walking, swimming, cycling etc).
    - make sure you have good shoes and bra
    - get music, poscasts or audio books to entertain you on the long runs.
    - enjoy!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It is a mistake to tray and pick a goal time for your race right now because you have no basis for determining if it is realistic or not. You might even be able to go faster than that.

What you need to do is finish c25k and then follow a half marathon training plan. Sometime around Nov or Dec enter a 5k or 10k and race it as fast as you can. That result will give you a realistic idea of how fast you can race a half marathon at that stage of your fitness journey.

^^ This

and make sure you run consistently in keeping with your training plan, as a new runner you're not only working on your aerobic fitness but also just conditioning your body for the long run.
  • mother_of_brigade
    mother_of_brigade Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bumping...training for the half in feb. in second week of training!