A male friend is eating 600 cals a day.

Options

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    another option might be not to mention the calorie thing at all, but mention that if he is on the path to a healthier lifestyle, it might be time to head to the doctor for a check up, blood work, all the things overweight people are supposed to do when making big changes. Mention to him that he might want to tell the Dr what he's be doing to get to this point so far, and ask if the Dr has any recommendations. Totally non-confrontational, nothing for him to get upset about or resent, and when/if the Dr recommends a different course of action, it might be easier for him to accept that advice because it's from a "professional"
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I would direct him here:

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/FatsAndOils/Fats101/My-Fats-Translator_UCM_428869_Article.jsp

The American Heart Association does not recommend a person eat fewer than 1200 calories per day unless they are an invalid restricted to bed or wheel chair.

Not only will it slow his metabolism and will cause his body to go into starvation mode (his body will start hording calories); it will also destroy his organs. He is only looking at the short term "gains" that are not sustainable. He is technically heading down the path to anorexia. Anorexia can be not eating enough calories not just eating nothing; I do know this; I had anorexia as a teenager fortunately for me my parents were very attuned to what was going on before it went too far. Don't let him continue down this path without help.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    How long has he been eating this way? Given he is very over weight he should be able handle a steep calorie deficit better than a leaner individual.

I doubt he'll be able to sustain it for very long unless he develops a full blown eating disorder so he hopefully shouldn't come to any harm.

That said please tell him the bulk of his low intake must come from protein and he should take vitamin supplements.
  • rach7turtle
    rach7turtle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Stay out of it.

Agreed he is going to learn the hard way unfortunately......

Yeah but as a good friend you should at least express concern and not stand by silently while they harm themselves. If he still refuses to change anything after the talk then there is nothing you can do but at least try to have a discussion with him. Good luck
  • JupiterJune
    Options
    Whoa slow down kids.

Instead of jumping on the guy.(through the x-girlfriend.) Take a step back.

The man can actually do 00 calories for a period of time with no long lasting adverse effects. There are tons of fasting programs for cleansing the body that have even fewer calories than that up to 30 days.

What I would say to this young man is that he can sustain this diet for several weeks in order to jump start and cleanse. After that I would suggest upping activity and calories. Create the deficit through exercise.

He is in no immediate danger, and as long as he does not go long term he will be fine.

He's been doing that since January apparently.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If he were a girl and wasn't already very overweight, I bet people wouldn't be telling you to "stay out of it." If he's been only eating that much for quite a while now, he could feasibly drop dead any second from heart problems, liver problems and more. It's anorexia if he's been doing this for a prolonged time, whether people believe someone who weighs 300 pounds could be anorexic. And anorexia is a disease that no one gets help for without help from others. I'm not exactly sure what you can do yet since he's an adult, but I don't think your concern is unwarranted or you being a busybody. And it's sad to me that people think so.
  • JupiterJune
    Options
    I find it hard to ignore this. I'm talking about a person I love, that I would consider getting married with and having a family. Please, try to take that in consideration. I know he'll do what he wants, but I just can't stay passive to that.
  • JupiterJune
    Options
    If he were a girl and wasn't already very overweight, I bet people wouldn't be telling you to "stay out of it." If he's been only eating that much for quite a while now, he could feasibly drop dead any second from heart problems, liver problems and more. It's anorexia if he's been doing this for a prolonged time, whether people believe someone who weighs 300 pounds could be anorexic. And anorexia is a disease that no one gets help for without help from others. I'm not exactly sure what you can do yet since he's an adult, but I don't think your concern is unwarranted or you being a busybody. And it's sad to me that people think so.

Thank you very much.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    Have you discussed the issue with him?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

He's been doing that since January apparently.

Then he's in trouble.

Whilst a very short term VLCD made up of mostly protein can be done with minimum harm if supplemented as well, doing so for many months at a time is a very, very bad idea.

You do need to say something. Tell him to read this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7223697

If that doesn't scare him into stopping nothing will.

Hopefully he has been under reporting his intake (which is very common) and so is actually eating more than he things he is (fingers crossed.)
  • JupiterJune
    Options
    Have you discussed the issue with him?

That's what I'm trying to do :) I'm wondering whether I should just be blunt and have the risk of getting him defensive, or try to talk to him another way. That's why I wanted help. Maybe someone else here have been through that, which apparently is the case.
  • vancemcdaniel
    Options
    So he says he has been doing 600 calories since January.

No way. If he had been doing that for 8 months he would have lost a lot more weight and been one very tired and pissed off boy.

I have a feeling your x-boyfriend has been telling you a few fibs.

Starting tomorrow . if a male weighing 300 pounds 6 foot 2, age 34 who was moderately active ate 2863 calories per day they could expect to lose 70 by March 7, 2013.

That's eight months. Your x states he has been doing this since January. Hmmmmm.. That is also about eight months.

Sounds like something is a foot.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If he's unwilling to accept anyone's help, or look on mfp, or talk to a doctor, there isn't much you can do.
    I would have told them they are on the wrong path, that he needs to be patient, but if he won't listen, I wouldn't say anything more than once.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    If he's unwilling to accept anyone's help, or look on mfp, or talk to a doctor, there isn't much you can do.
    I would have told them they are on the wrong path, that he needs to be patient, but if he won't listen, I wouldn't say anything more than once.

this.

he's an adult. all you can do is express concern but beyond that what are you going to do, kidnap the guy and force a feeding tube into his stomach?

600 cals isnt sustainable for a long period of time so odds are he will come to his senses on his own. plus at 300 pounds it's not like he's going to shrink away to skin and bones within weeks.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Point him in the direction of this site. Don't say it's because you are worried about him, just tell him it's really useful and hopefully if he reads enough posts hopefully he will realise what he is doing is wrong and unhealthy!

This could be the best route. Also, since you are an "ex" GF, it may be harder for you to get him to see it; perhaps if you could clue in a trusted mutual friend or relative that would be helpful.... You care enough about him to make sure he is healthy. This is good; just have to find the best way to get your point across.
  • amgill81
    Options
    I used to weigh over 300lbs. I get where he is coming from. Developing an eating disorder whether not eating or binge eating is easy to do. I can say this, provide him with healthy information, but from experience....he will not listen bc his being thin is what is impt to him right now. When obese, you will do anything to be thin....it is a dangerous feeling and desperation to have. Just be supportive and if you see him get in a dangerous area..contact his fammily or really sit him down with some good hard facts about health and that we need calories to fuel his body. I would recommend him some multi vitamins and calcium
  • IceDragon72
    Options
    If I were you, I would approach him out of genuine concern and humility. "Look, I am very happy for you on your weight loss, but I'm worried that you might harm yourself if you don't eat enough. I don't think you are a bad person or are doing anything 'wrong'--or that I have all the answers--but maybe you should check with your doctor and see if this plan is OK for you."

Because, even without all of our knowledge, his doctor will know more.

Approach him from a position of humility and compassion, and the conversation should be much easier.

Good luck amiga :drinker:
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ignore it, but I also wouldn't start giving him unsolicited advice, because that can get people's backs up, and make them more likely to stick stubbornly to what they're doing.

I'd simply ask him questions, to learn more - that shows you're not making assumptions and you want to understand better. I'd ask why he's chosen the number 600, and how he's managing to sustain it without getting exhausted, and how long he hopes to sustain it. And how he's getting all his nutrients. There are some people (called CRONies - Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition) who do live sustainably off 600 calories a day, as the BBC Horizon documentary discussed, and it makes them healthier in many ways, and their bodies are younger - but they need a very strict regime of very specific food in order to get all their nutrients, and also it has some negative side effects like physical coldness, constant hunger and possible sexual impotence. You could maybe somehow bring this into the conversation - asking if this is the type of diet he is working towards, and whether he's worried about the negative aspects.

I'd maybe ask him whether he's also doing strength training, and how he's going to feed his muscles. I'd share with him how my own weight loss journey is going, and the number of calories that is working for me, and what I struggle with and what is going well. Just have a conversation about it, where you find out more, and ask questions that get him thinking a bit. He's far more likely to change if he's thought of it himself than if you've told him - so you have to subtly ask things that will enable him to challenge his assumptions and come to his own conclusions and decisions.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that did that. He lost 100 pounds in a few months. BUT he had terrible stomach ulcers. He also had to figure out a way to eat like a normal person once he was at a weight he was happy at.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Probably the best you can do is be an example darlin. If he sees you eating more and still losing maybe he will get the "bug". Some never do though. At the same time, if he asks, be honest, imo. It is hard all the way around seeing loved ones hurting themselves. Ever hear that saying "Id rather see a sermon than hear one"? Kinda the same deal, "show" him how to do it right rather than trying to tell him.

denise:drinker: :drinker:
    I'm very worried. A friend of mine, also my ex-boyfriend, who started losing weight in the beggining of january, recently told me he eats around 600, at most 700 cals a day. He is 6'2 and weighs over 300 lbs.
    I don't want him to feel like I am unsuportive of him. He has lost over 70 lbs and obviously I'm happy for him, but I don't know how to tell him that that's absolutely unsustainable.

We started this together, and he's doing much better than me (well, i only need to lose 20 lbs) so I don't want him to feel like I'm just envious or trying to slow him down, you know?