Gluten-Free Dieting?

Options
Can someone inform me on the pros and cons of Gluten-Free Dieting? I've read a few articles on it - about how dropping Gluten can have beneficial effects on the body.

Replies

• MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've recently begun a GF diet....I can tell you I have had tremendous results. I've dropped excess weight quickly and in a healthy way just by cutting gluten out. I am less tired, sleep better, have a better attention span and overall aches and pains I have felt are diminishing tremendously. I would highly recommend it to anyone!
    Cons are that it is much more difficult in a social setting to be GF
  • Shopgirl9337
    Shopgirl9337 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Going gluten free has been the best decision I have ever made for myself. I agree with shinelikevega, though, it does make socializing more difficult. Most social events revolve around food and most of that food is full of carbs and gluten. That being said... you can work around it by either bringing your own stuff or by meeting up after the food portion of the event is completed. You could get more information about the benefits of going gluten free from Google than any of us answering your questions on here. The only added benefit to here is that you'll get lots of personal testimonies about how great going gluten free makes you feel...
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I love being gluten free. Started 2 years ago and never looked back. I dropped about 20 lbs right away. Now losing is hard but I don't gain weight anymore. I feel good after I eat now. Gluten made me extremely tired and I am extremely addicted. It never made me full either. I am so happy to be done with it and I could never be successful with weight loss if gluten were back in my life. I am certain of that.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Gluten free diets are only necessary if you have celiac disease or another gluten sensitivity. If you needlessly cut out gluten, you can actually cause yourself to develop a gluten sensitivity. Not to mention gluten free diets are not inherently healthier, and gluten free substitutes are often expensive and sometimes lee healthy than their gluten counterparts.

If you think you may have a gluten sensitivity, check with you doctor. Otherwise there's not reason for you to eliminate it from your diet.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I was trying out a GF lifestyle and it's true, you feel wayyy better instantly, and the weight flies off. However I struggled a bit at first with temptations, particularly in social settings, thinking just a few bites won't hurt.

Then I read the book "Wheat Belly" and it totally changed my life!! I am now 110% GF and NOT missing it or tempted by it at all! When I see something like cake or cookies or bread it doesn't even look like food anymore, all I see is a mental picture of cancer an rot inside my body (sorry to be so dramatic, but ts true!)

Try it out!
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Gluten free diets are only necessary if you have celiac disease or another gluten sensitivity. If you needlessly cut out gluten, you can actually cause yourself to develop a gluten sensitivity. Not to mention gluten free diets are not inherently healthier, and gluten free substitutes are often expensive and sometimes lee healthy than their gluten counterparts.

If you think you may have a gluten sensitivity, check with you doctor. Otherwise there's not reason for you to eliminate it from your diet.

Going GF also helps get rid of internal inflammation, which is my reason for doing it. There are many reasons to go GF even if you don't suffer from Celiac or other gluten sensitivities. I also don't recommend substituting pastas, breads and other things with the GF option. They can be more unhealthy than gluten itself.
  • skinnybefore
    Options
    I've been gluten free for a few weeks now. My feet don't swell anymore and I just feel healthier! I lost 8 pounds in that time. Most of my snacks are fruits & veggies now, whereas before I snacked on a lot of processed foods.

I have to echo what most others have said on here though, it is a bit of a challenge eating at restaurants, potlucks, get-togethers, etc. But I believe the pros outweigh the cons.

Hope it goes well for you!