Dumb Strength Training Down for me

Options
I started the Couch 2 5k program, I did week one twice and I'm moving on to week two this week. I would like to incorporate some strength training, twice or three times a week.

I don't know what to do or how many of this or that to start with.

I have two pound weights and a resistance band. Can someone advise on an easy to follow routine to start with? Or point me in the right direction? I'm 5'5" and weigh 235 pounds.

Replies

• brandillyn
    brandillyn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    For my strength training I use Blogilates.com it's totally free, and the chick kicks *kitten*(:

Plus... No need to by weights or nothing.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    OK- here goes. If you can unload your groceries without assistance, the two pound weights aren't going to do much. A gallon of milk weighs roughly 8 pounds. The goal of strength training is to encourage the nervous system and muscles to make you stronger by the principle of overload- you over-stress the system with heavy things, and they respond by making themselves stronger to be able to handle it in the future.

SO, bodyweight training is going to be a great starting point for you. Squats, Lunges, Push Ups, Chin Ups, Dips, and some other smaller muscle group work using household items (like phone books and gallons of water) will get you started without a gym or much costly investment. If you spend money on anything, a chin up bar will be a great investment.

Pick up a copy of the book "You are your own gym" it has well developed full-body strength training program that use only yourself and items like I described above. For about $10, it's well worth it and will keep you progressing with strength training for a while: http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345410481&sr=8-1&keywords=you+are+your+own+gym
  • kekagel
    kekagel Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I carry groceries in no problem. That's the deal I have with my husband, lol. I carry them in, he puts them away. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check into the book.
  • lika_ulm
    lika_ulm Posts: 10
    Options
    If you have an Iphone or Ipod, download the app called Nike Training Club :) It has helped me a lot!
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    OK- here goes. If you can unload your groceries without assistance, the two pound weights aren't going to do much. A gallon of milk weighs roughly 8 pounds. The goal of strength training is to encourage the nervous system and muscles to make you stronger by the principle of overload- you over-stress the system with heavy things, and they respond by making themselves stronger to be able to handle it in the future.

SO, bodyweight training is going to be a great starting point for you. Squats, Lunges, Push Ups, Chin Ups, Dips, and some other smaller muscle group work using household items (like phone books and gallons of water) will get you started without a gym or much costly investment. If you spend money on anything, a chin up bar will be a great investment.

Pick up a copy of the book "You are your own gym" it has well developed full-body strength training program that use only yourself and items like I described above. For about $10, it's well worth it and will keep you progressing with strength training for a while: http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345410481&sr=8-1&keywords=you+are+your+own+gym

Good advice! Thanks for sharing! I recently started working out with a friend who'd been trained professionally. That's what we do: push ups, planks, walking lunges with weights, squats, dips, leg and chest presses. I;ve seen more of an impact on my body in a short time than when going to gym and using the "machines". Plus, I am losing lbs too, but just stronger. And it takes less time, too.

I am going to look into that book. too!.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Nike Training Club is a great tool. I also use BodyRock.TV .
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

I agree!

2lb weights aren't going to be a lot of use to you, unless you need paperweights. :wink:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

That is solid advice right there. Damn solid
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I started with 2lb weights over a year ago. I bought the Tony Little Total body circuit video and I still do the video but I've moved up to 8lb weights. I might have taken the long route but I am getting there!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I started with 2lb weights over a year ago. I bought the Tony Little Total body circuit video and I still do the video but I've moved up to 8lb weights. I might have taken the long route but I am getting there!

A year to get from 2lbs to 8lbs?

I had knee surgery in Feb. Before that I was only allowed to do body weight squats. After my 6wk post surgery recovery period, I've slowly worked up from body weight to 85kg (185lbs) squats.

I think you can probably work even heavier than 8lbs and I encourage you to. :wink:
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    thats not strength training, thats cardio...