Healthy Dips and munchy foods advise?

Options
Hi everyone. I have always been more into snacking than huge meals, and until I started a weight loss journey I enjoyed various dips (ones with cheese or cream base usually) with chips, bread or crackers soooo much. It was one of my favorites, and it took me a while to refuse at events or get togethers because I knew if I started I would end up eating way more than intended. I understand its not the best way to spend calories so I have substituted with some of the Laughing Cow cheese products and multigrain crackers for a good while now. I also have trieddifferent flavors of hommus and veggies or low cal crackers..its ok but not my favorite. Guess I am just wantin something new so please enlighten me on your healthy dip of choice (if there is a such thing lol) or other healthy options??thanks!

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Tomato salsa
    I make a bunch of different dips with mango or peaches and peppers, spices, bean sprouts
    Black bean or chick pea dips
    Low fat yoghurt and spices

Low fat sour cream with a can of tiny shrimp. Put the liquid in for more flavor
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Tzatziki dip is my choice.... its a yogurt and cucumber/garlic dip.

I usually use some sort of cracker/chip whatever fits into my cals for that day.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    This dip isn't healthy, but Dean's Ranch Dip is only about 30 calories for tbsp, and it tastes really good. It's pretty strong, so you don't need a ton.

I've heard of mixing dill into plain greek yogurt as a good dip. Never tried it though, since I hate greek yogurt with a passion.
  • SEishen
    SEishen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Like peanut butter as a dip? Mix a little bit of it with your favorite low-cal vanilla yogurt, just enough to get your peanut butter craving taken care of. Works really well with celery.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Pico de gallo or mango salsa with tortilla chips
    Carrots, celery, bell peppers, etc
    Popchips, Lentil chips
    Wasa flatbread
    Laughing Cow light cheese
    String cheese
    Yogurt
    nuts
    Apples, oranges, plumbs
    Peanut butter!

(I'm a snacker, too)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Salsa is the king of dips - it's low cal and flavorful. I mix hummus and salsa sometimes. My other go-to snack is air popped popcorn. Crunchy, high fiber and low-calorie for a decent portion.

ETA: grapes are my new go-to sweet treat. I always keep some in the fridge and they make a nice snack.
  • LarsyRagnhild
    LarsyRagnhild Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Babaganoush and hommus. Make them at home with little oil and you should be fine. Cut up many more carrot and celery pieces than you need.
    I'm a bit wary of dips when losing weight. They seem a bit empty and pointless. They never fill me up anyway.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    sour cream, garlic and fresh herbs! Let it sit overnight and YUM!
  • grover
    grover Posts: 1
    Options
    Try frozen grapes
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Sour Cream and Onion dip, if you're not afraid of fat, is a delicious snack. 4 oz of dip -- a huge portion -- is only 245 calories and add in another 20 of so calories for veggies to go with it. Yum!

There's sugar and msg in the soup mix though which is unfortunate but there's only a few of these types of foods left in my diet so I'm ok with it. I am looking for a powdered beef bouillon without all the crap so I can make my own soup mix but so far I haven't had any luck.
  • htalexander
    Options
    Oooooo ya'll are making me hungry! Thanks for the ideas so far..the light sour cream with garlic and herbs or plain greek yogurt with stuff mixed in sound so good. I never even thought of that!