couch to 5k

Options
Anyone doing or done the couch to 5k and lose a signifacant amount of weight?
Been doing some walking but thought maybe that would kickstart the fat melting!!:happy:

Replies

• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it now. I've not found that it's directly helping with the fat burn; my strength training is doing that. I can tell you that my endurance is up, I feel GREAT and am having fun!

Remember that any activity that gets you moving is a good thing. :)
  • sotellmedarling
    sotellmedarling Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start Week 5. I can't say that the pounds are rolling off. Because they aren't at this point. BUT, it's helping so much with endurance. Also, for me, I've lost about 4 inches in my thighs and my butt feels a little bit firmer. Not sure if this is due to the C25K only or a combo with my other cardio - I haven't really been strength training very regularly.
  • maxnsc
    maxnsc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did it, and I'm glad I did. At first, I thought it was going to kill me, and my legs hurt like hell. For me, it took about 2-3 months to actually see any improvement in endurance because my work schedule kept me from being as consistent as I would have liked. I'm not sure I saw a drastic reduction in weight from it. I did notice that I feel a lot more energized after I run... and its a big deal for me to be able to say that I can run a mile. I'll never be a marathon runner, but I'm happy with what I got from CT5K!

Good luck with it!!!
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I started it too soon in my journey& ended up hurting myself. Got thru it & did the routine successfully. Now 100 pounds lighter, I still find myself going back to it!
  • TLCkirby
    TLCkirby Posts: 12
    Options
    I just started so I can't atest to any weight loss yet... but my thought is the more exercise and the more I move the better! It can't HURT!

Hoping to incorporate some light weight training as well which should help the inches/pounds fall off! Hit a bit of a plateau so looking to change things up!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Anyone doing or done the couch to 5k and lose a signifacant amount of weight?
    Been doing some walking but thought maybe that would kickstart the fat melting!!:happy:

I have done it, and yes, you will lose weight but you will also become much fitter,too!

It might not be a quick hit, but stick at it and you will notice the difference :-)
  • srslycolette
    srslycolette Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start Week 5. I can't say that the pounds are rolling off. Because they aren't at this point. BUT, it's helping so much with endurance. Also, for me, I've lost about 4 inches in my thighs and my butt feels a little bit firmer. Not sure if this is due to the C25K only or a combo with my other cardio - I haven't really been strength training very regularly.
    ( I've lost about 4 inches in my thighs)
    ^^
    Absolutely motivating! I've done a week of C25K.
    I started to get ready for the Color Run.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I would suggest picking up the book "The Beginning: Runner's Handbook." It was a 13 week 10K program, similar to the C25K program. However, this program was originally developed for medical purposes - helping people recover from injury, and for people who need to become active.

What this book has, that the C25K program doesn't have is information on technique, stretches, things to do after you've run the 10K, and more.

It's not expensive. I picked it up for $20 here in Canada. I'm going to be starting the program on Tuesday! I should be running my 10K on Christmas Day!!!
  • cyndimcd
    cyndimcd Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I never ran until I tried the C25K program. I loved this. I felt stronger and like I can do anything. I don't think it's helped in the weight loss but it's definitely helped me feel that I can be successful, and that has made a big difference in sticking to the calorie counting.

Edited to add:
    I'm training to run a half marathon next month. This weekend I did 13 miles in my training run.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I completed the c25k last spring (and am still running!), and it did seem to hep with my fat loss - my back fat disappeared during that time. :bigsmile:
  • ebonyrose316266
    ebonyrose316266 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am on wk 3 haven't noticed any drastic weight loss but I am not doing any strength training yet.

4 inches off thighs? I'll take that.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    On week 3 now, not sure if it's helping with weight loss since I also do other cardio and strength training but for sure it's helping improve my endurance and breathing.
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I would suggest picking up the book "The Beginning: Runner's Handbook." It was a 13 week 10K program, similar to the C25K program. However, this program was originally developed for medical purposes - helping people recover from injury, and for people who need to become active.

What this book has, that the C25K program doesn't have is information on technique, stretches, things to do after you've run the 10K, and more.

It's not expensive. I picked it up for $20 here in Canada. I'm going to be starting the program on Tuesday! I should be running my 10K on Christmas Day!!!
    I have a new book to look for... :) Thank you
  • jnamcelwain
    jnamcelwain Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well thanks to all of you for replying. Might get of the fanny and start in the morning:)
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am just starting week four. I haven't lost any weight but my food choices haven't been the most fantastic lately either. BUT... I had just gone down a size in both pants and shirts and now those new pants are falling off! I've noticed a huge difference in my legs - they seem more muscular. I would recommend it - I thought I couldn't do it, but so far, so good.
  • sotellmedarling
    sotellmedarling Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am on wk 3 haven't noticed any drastic weight loss but I am not doing any strength training yet.

4 inches off thighs? I'll take that.

I was completely shocked when I measured them! I haven't lost any inches in my stomach, but also 2 inches in my arms so the running is the only thing I can attribute the possible thigh loss too. I started biking too, but I've only gone riding maybe a handful of times compared to the 3 times a week C25K.

I should mention though that I've always had a track record of really good results in my legs. The leg press was my easiest area in my middle school/high school fitness class. So, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up if it's just a bit of luck I have with my own thighs being cooperative... Now if only my calves were nice enough too lol.
  • jnamcelwain
    jnamcelwain Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Weight loss would be good, but yes the fit part is much better. :wink: