Fruits and Veggies

Options
Hi Everyone,

I asked support this question and they wouldn't/couldn't answer me. Many weight loss programs like Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers do not count fruits and veggies into their calorie count for the day. What are your suggestions out there? I have been counting them and lost 47 lbs so far since February 10 but, as my weight goes down so don't my calories and I'm finding it very hard to stay with in the daily count. Just wondering what you all do...

Thanks! :)

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Everything counts.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they count. All the "good" fruits that you actually want to eat have insane amounts of carbs...Strawberries are pretty good...if you feel like you have to binge on something to satisfy a psychological itch you can pound a container of strawberries, and it will be something ridiculous like 100 calories.
  • doloreskent
    doloreskent Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    HI, It all counts! What do you mean you find it hard to stay within the calorie count? If you are going past your maximum of calories , it's not because you are counting fruits and veggies but because you are eating others things that have high calorie count per serving. I would like to suggest that you cut those foods out and keep counting your F&V. Eat lots of them!!
  • Dplum27
    Dplum27 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks everyone. If they all count why doesn't Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig count them??? 1200 calories a day isn't much, not when you work 12 hour shifts, it's not that I am binging or eating bad foods. I haven't lost 47lbs by doing that. Just asking a question here, not looking to be lectured. Thanks again.
  • krauts1
    krauts1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow 1200 calories, no wonder!!! I am on 2000 and this is a big positive change for me! Only early days but already feel much better and in control. Good for you!
  • ociiana
    ociiana Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi DPlum27 - I did Jenny Craigs a few times over the years and they definately limit your fruit - because it is high in sugar and definately does count. Veges were free though. Weightwatchers - been there too and yes you are right, fruit and vege were free there. Their philosophy though is not about calorie counting though - unlike MFP. They make them free to provide incentive for people to fill up on the right types of foods first before using up all their points on high calorie low nutritional value foods. Hope that explains things a little better for you. I would recommend getting at least a 30minute walk in a day which will give you those extra calories you need. Or get a fitbit - I'm not sure what your job is but a fitbit pedometer automatically syncs to mfp giving you extra calories based on how many steps you do in a day. Its good incentive and if you are busy on your feet might give you those calories anyway. 48lbs - awesome!!
  • Dplum27
    Dplum27 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you! I have a very busy job on my feet most of the 12 hours most every night!!! I do try to NOT eat my "exercise calories" though that way if I do go over the 1200 I don't feel as guilty. :) I do remember Jenny counting fruit now that you say it and it's understandable. I was just really wondering, curiosity did kill that cat, didn't it??? :)

Keep up the good work people!!!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Someone posted the other day that on their WW points they'd be allowed around 900 cals, the extra cals would come from 'free' fruit and veg so that's why they don't count them on WW. Unless you eat stupid amounts of fruit then you're likely to be around 1200 cals on WW too.