Help! Don't wanna succumb to 1200cals!

Options
Okay I'm fairly new to this forum and I know there's alot of diehard 1200cal eaters and that's fine for them, but I wanna have a easier time loosing weight and substaining it. I came across helloitsdan's post about road map 2.0. I will eat from 1500 to 1600cals which is between a 25-30% deficit. Then i will go to a 20% deficit once I start working out (which is 1800cals). I want to do this right. So what are healthy ways to eat that many calories? I am a vegetarian and just veggies and fruit will not get me there without filling me up on such low calories. I have a pretty lazy lifestyle right now. And I cannot afford to buy weights or a gym membership- so if you know any body weight workouts that will be great too! P.S i LOVE carbs. I love a bagel with cream cheese and yogurt for breakfast. Should I eat bagel thins instead? Thanks!

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 calories as a vegetarian and have no problem. I eat about 300 calories every 3 hours.

A bagel isn't very filling, at least for me, so I wouldn't recommend just eating a bagel. A store bagel is also around 400 calories unless you are eating a lender's bagel. How about half a bagel with peanut butter? Or hummus?
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    ETA: Oh, sorry. The second half of your post just soaked into my brain. Nevermind! Best of luck!
  • keychick25
    keychick25 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ETA: Oh, sorry. The second half of your post just soaked into my brain. Nevermind! Best of luck!

ETA?
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm fairly new to this forum and I know there's alot of diehard 1200cal eaters and that's fine for them, but I wanna have a easier time loosing weight and substaining it. I came across helloitsdan's post about road map 2.0. I will eat from 1500 to 1600cals which is between a 25-30% deficit. Then i will go to a 20% deficit once I start working out (which is 1800cals). I want to do this right. So what are healthy ways to eat that many calories? I am a vegetarian and just veggies and fruit will not get me there without filling me up on such low calories. I have a pretty lazy lifestyle right now. And I cannot afford to buy weights or a gym membership- so if you know any body weight workouts that will be great too! P.S i LOVE carbs. I love a bagel with cream cheese and yogurt for breakfast. Should I eat bagel thins instead? Thanks!

You cant eat nuts, nut butters, beans even,oils? and you eat cheeses. Even fruits like banasas and avacados are high in calories Not sure why you can't reach that many calorie. Hell eating bread and dipping it in olive oil will get you half way there
  • laurwillbelovely
    Options
    I read your post and felt like I I was listening to myself! Boy, do I know how you feel!

I'm addicted to carbs to and a vego too. I've started a plan of my own that has really been great, so I thought I'd share below...

But can I recommend not having too many bagels, only because they are so calorie dense and have a high glycaemic index (unless you're having rye or wholegrain ones which are hard to find) so you'll get hungry very quickly. I tend to have one as a treat on sundays and I know it's weird but peanut butter and chopped strawberries is amazing!

So, if this helps at all here's my normal menu... It all adds up to between 1300 and 1600 calories a day, includes carbs, is sustainable and yes there is dessert.

BREAKFAST:
    either two piece of wholegrain toast with vegemite (I'm Australian, what can I say?) or peanut butter or avocado and garlic seasoning

small bowl of oats with chopped almonds and half a banana.

poached eggs on one piece of wholegrain toast

special K cereal with some strawberries and blueberries

(and I do have COFFEE!!)

MORNING TEA
    8 almonds and a peppermint tea and an apple

OR

small organic licorice stick x 2 and skim milk latte or more herb tea

LUNCH
    either
    leftover tofu stirfry (or any of the dinners below brought to work!) and an orange (vitamin C!)

pumpkin soup and a smallish bread roll with an apple

toasted sandwich with either lite cheese and tomato or sometimes egg salad and a pear

AFTERNOON TEA
    8 almonds
    OR
    handful of walnuts
    OR
    Banana AND
    herb tea or an english breakfast tea with skim milk

DINNER
    tofu stir fry, I get my tofu or quorn pieces or whatever protein I feel like and marinate it in a little soy, chilli and a small teaspoon of sugar free peanut butter then add veggies.

Quorn mince san choi bao (this is amazing and so good for you) with ice berg lettuce. (cook quorn mince in a fry pan with some olive oil, add spring onions (shallots), tomato sauce (just a teaspoon), soy sauce (two teaspoons), chilli, and chopped peanuts (about 10 or so, or a spoonful of 100% peanut butter), heat it all up then serve in lettuce cups)

roast vegetables (any you like) with tzatziki (yoghurt/ garlic and cucumber dressing)

veggie soup and a bagel with low fat cream cheese

omelette with toast (2 eggs, mushrooms and tomato and herbs)

pita pizzas (I have roast pumpkin a bit of fetta and some pinenuts and basil (YUM)

DESSERT (YES!)
    weight watchers pudding with a spoon of ice cream

home made apple crumble (oats, stevia, sultanas, cinnamon and apple and pear stewed) with low fat ice cream.

fruit salad

WORKOUTS:
    Elliptical/cross trainer for 45 minutes 3-6 times a week
    OR

run around the block for 30-60 minutes
    OR
    Dance to some really bad music for an hour or so

Strength

pushups,
    crunches,
    pilates hundreds,
    reverse crunchs (lift those legs!),
    calf raises,
    squats,
    split squats
    arm weights (bicep curls, chest presses and if you own any weights (a litre bottle of water is a good start)) otherwise pushups work a treat for arms.
    a few yoga sretches
  • keychick25
    Options

You cant eat nuts, nut butters, beans even,oils? and you eat cheeses. Even fruits like banasas and avacados are high in calories Not sure why you can't reach that many calorie. Hell eating bread and dipping it in olive oil will get you half way there

Well bread and olive oil isn't very healthy. And I'm allergic to most nuts. But your other suggestions are good. Thanks.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Thomas bagel thin + ONE square of laughing cow cinnamon spread = 133 cals.
    I'm not really in the same boat as you, but I realized I didn't want to cut back the food intake that much (yet) so I just cranked up the cardio level...problem solved. All you need is a decent pair of shoes and you can go walking for free. Walking was really working for me, but it was too boring for my taste, so I got a bike...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're trying to eat more calories, don't switch to bagel thins...
  • keychick25
    Options
    Thanks u guys! This all helps alot!
  • neilegni
    neilegni Posts: 36
    Options
    I am a HUGE fan of smoothies for breakfast--and if you add a tablespoon or two of nut butter you can get a good number of calories. I don't know if you're allergic to all nuts, but if you are, sunflower seed butter is an excellent substitute. :) Also, try to find a whole grain bagel with a good amount of fiber, which will keep you fuller longer.

Do you like hummus? I think basically half my daily calories come from hummus! (well, that's an exaggeration but you know what I mean ;) )
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

ETA?

Edited To Add/Amend
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    im so glad you arent conforming to the 1200 cal trend! nourishing your body with food is the way to go

when i don't go to the gym i do things like, squats, lunges, planks, push ups, wall sits. i fill up a milk jug and use that as an arm weight. or a heavy text book. of course you could do sit ups and ab work too. there are millions of at home workouts on youtube, take advantage of them. there are also alot of good ones on netflix too if you have netflix.

good luck and happy weight loss!
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Google 'Hundred Pushups' and you will find HundredPushups.com. They have bunch of body weight exercises that will help you gain strength without a gym membership or weight set. There is also running or fast walking for your cardio workout.

Play around with them and hopefully you find something you like to do!

Good luck!
  • keychick25
    Options
    So many great ideas! I'm taking notes. I love hummus btw. I've had it once in my life with crackers it was soooooo gooood lol. Thanks for the workout ideas amanda! :)
  • keychick25
    Options
    Google 'Hundred Pushups' and you will find HundredPushups.com. They have bunch of body weight exercises that will help you gain strength without a gym membership or weight set. There is also running or fast walking for your cardio workout.

Play around with them and hopefully you find something you like to do!

Good luck!

Yes! Thank yoooooou!
  • doloreskent
    doloreskent Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I dont know how tall you are or what is your goal but bagels and cream cheese won't help you loose the weight or get good nutrition for vitality and energy. The 1200 calorie goal is not a trend, is reality. You can get high nutrition (no calories) in a 1200 calories per day and feel great and energetic. Your focus needs to be Fruits and Veggies (underlined) as a base for your meals and WHOLE grains (oatmeal, millet, buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, etc). Most people do not understand that the dryer the grain eaten the harder for the body to metabolize. So eat whole grains and beans (have lots of water in them- easy for the body to digest and metabolize) and little organic meats as complement to your meals and you can eat 1200 calories per day and BE NURTURED, loose weight and be vibrant!!
  • keychick25
    Options
    I dont know how tall you are or what is your goal but bagels and cream cheese won't help you loose the weight or get good nutrition for vitality and energy. The 1200 calorie goal is not a trend, is reality. You can get high nutrition (no calories) in a 1200 calories per day and feel great and energetic. Your focus needs to be Fruits and Veggies (underlined) as a base for your meals and WHOLE grains (oatmeal, millet, buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, etc). Most people do not understand that the dryer the grain eaten the harder for the body to metabolize. So eat whole grains and beans (have lots of water in them- easy for the body to digest and metabolize) and little organic meats as complement to your meals and you can eat 1200 calories per day and BE NURTURED, loose weight and be vibrant!!
    I guess you missed that im a vegetarian so meat is out of the question. The reason why I don't want to eat at 1200cals is because it's not healthy and under my bmr. I don't want a diet. When people diet they cut out things they like only to want and crave them again. I don't want that. That's why I asked about bagel thins. I'm sure they were made for a reason...And to maintain my goal weight I need to eat a hell of a lot more than 1200cals. I rather not slow down my metabolism. It's not worth it. In the long run it's better to eat more to weigh less. So please don't come in here promoting 1200cals because that's obviously what I don't want to eat. It's below my BMR. Not healthy.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Well bread and olive oil isn't very healthy. And I'm allergic to most nuts. But your other suggestions are good. Thanks.

Olive Oil isn't healthy?!!! That's a new one to me. I use that and coconut oil for everything. I cook with them, I use them in my daughter's skin, on my nails, That is what I use to condition and oil her hair.

I suggest bread because you said you eat bagels and like carbs.
  • keychick25
    Options
    Olive oil is fine i know but dipping bread in it? Sounds weird and not very appetizing at all. Not the healthiest of "snacks" either if that's what you want to call it. Thanks though.
  • tanfastics
    Options
    try http://www.fitnessmagazine.com It's full of little exercise + meal plans to help you achieve your goal in a way that suits you!