How do I make sure I don't gain anymore during pregnancy?

Options
I'm 7 months and 3 weeks and have already gained 22 pounds. I had only gained ten until this past month when I started eating a lot of peanut butter and jelly and gained 12 more! I don't mind the 22 during pregnancy, I just don't want to get over 35. Advice please?

Replies

• babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!! I understand your anxiety about the gain...I gained 90+ with my first. My second, third and fourth...I was able to either maintain my weight, or even lose with my last.

As I'm sure many will say, consult your doctor before doing anything drastic, but, I can tell you, your baby will get everything it needs FIRST, so, no worries, your baby is safe even if you are looking to limit your caloric intake.

If its cravings you're having...my rule of thumb was, the first and last bite were always the best anyways do, indulge and enjoy those 2 bites! Other than that, find what works for your needs. I ate LOTS of fresh veggies. Broccoli was one of my favorites. Also, the babybel lights are good for munchies.

My absolute BEST wishes to you and your growing family!! I loved being pregnant, even when I was pretty big. :)
  • pilatemom
    pilatemom Posts: 111
    Options
    Thank you so very much! :)
    I can't say being pregnant is my favorite thing between the sickness and back pain but definitely worth what awaits :)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Please, please talk to your doctor about this. Obviously, weight gain is going to happen with pregnancy and the rate depends on a few factors. Not wanting to gain ___ pounds might be moot point for you.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, you're pregnant you're going to gain.. I think the health and well-being of your baby would come before gaining 'too much' weight.. Maybe it's just me?
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    set calorie goal to 2000 and do lots of walking

edited to add and dont worrie about going over
  • nc90
    nc90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    In my nutrition class, we learned that many women can expect to gain about 30lbs during pregnancy, and that calorie increase during the second and third trimester should be about 200-300 calories extra a day.

As with the above poster, check with your doctor to see what is best for you and your body, but remember there is a baby growing in there!! :) That little bundle of joy in itself will weigh 6-9lbs on its own, in addition to the fluid and everything, which you will lose as soon as they come and meet the world!
  • pilatemom
    Options
    I definitely will discuss this with my doctor. Last we talked she just told me to slow down and cut back on the jelly. She was a little concerned because I gained 12 in one month, which is pretty fast. I'm definitely puting my babies health before me maintaining my weight, I just feel it's perfectly fine for me to maintain at this point by some of my weight coming off very slowly and her weight increasing. And 2000 calories and walking sounds pretty good. Thanks :)
  • pilatemom
    Options
    nc90 - I've actually gained 22 already and I guess that's why I'm a tad concerned. & Thank you :) Can anyone in here tell me how much the babies fluid generally weighs?
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    nc90 - I've actually gained 22 already and I guess that's why I'm a tad concerned. & Thank you :) Can anyone in here tell me how much the babies fluid generally weighs?

During the last trimester of pregnancy as you get closer, you should gain 1lb a week.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    you will gain more, but around 35 total is still realistic for you...but don't let it stress you out too much...pay attention to eating healthy, but don't restrict yourself too much! at 7 months into your pregnancy, you should be eating 300-500 calories over maintenance to properly fuel yourself and baby...unless your doctor tells you to limit your intake, cutting calories shouldn't be on your mind...continue to exercise and you will be in a good place once baby is here...i am the proud mommy to an almost 5 month old baby girl and i gained around 45 lbs during my pregnancy, i was worried about being over 35 lbs, but my doctor re-assured me that i was gaining healthy weight for my daughter and told me that she would let me know when i needed to worry...she also told me that sometimes people gain weight while pregnant at a different rate, i gained quick and then slowed for a while and then sped up again closer to my due date...but now i am within 6 lbs of my pre-pregnancy weight already and fitting into all of my clothes even though my weight is still up :) i think i was able to get back in shape again because i stayed active while pregnant :) best of luck!! being a mommy is the best!!!
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you just make sure you are eating healthful, nutritious food with lots of quality protein and definitely plenty of fruits and veggies. I've heard that sprinkling some ground up sesame seeds on salad or veggies is a good way to be sure you get plenty of calcium. No expert here -- just read that somewhere in one of those healthy lifestyle books(one of the thousands that I've read since I began having a weight problem). Anyway, it's tasty and probably can't hurt. Please avoid super low calorie fad diets and those that are limited to one or two food groups for baby's sake. Best wishes to you and give your little one loads of love and attention when the time arrives. You can't spoil a baby with too much love -- only with too much indulgence of material things. Enjoy your mommy experience!
    P.S. A nice long walk every day is also good for you and baby. It will help your recovery time after birth.
  • EchoKnight09
    EchoKnight09 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I gained a total of 50 pounds in my pregnancy. And only 3 pounds in the last trimester. I was pregnant for the holidays and definitely did not hold back eating all the treats. But once I realized I had gained so much in so lil time I knew I needed to do something. So I started drinking TONS of water, tracking everything I ate, and stopped drinking juices and eating sugary things. I didn't restrict anything else. Also, I started walking like a maniac! At the mall on rainy days and at the park trails every other day.
  • pilatemom
    Options
    Thank you all :)
    If my babies going to start gaining one lb. a week starting now, I guess I should allow myself to get to 203 by the end of pregnancy but in that case not gain ANYMORE than that because that'd just be my own fat. That would mean I gained 31 pounds while pregnant, which is around what I'm healthily allowed to gain during pregnancy. Thank you all for the feedback and all the congratulations on my pregnancy. I'll definitely go with all the tips. :)
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    If my babies going to start gaining one lb. a week starting now, I guess I should allow myself to get to 203 by the end of pregnancy but in that case not gain ANYMORE than that because that'd just be my own fat. That would mean I gained 31 pounds while pregnant, which is around what I'm healthily allowed to gain during pregnancy. Thank you all for the feedback and all the congratulations on my pregnancy. I'll definitely go with all the tips. :)

remember that the 1lb/week is an average, so if you do gain a little bit more than 203, it doesn't mean that you have necessarily gained too much!
    there are so many other things to focus on while pregnant, in the grand scheme of life a few extra lbs gained aren't worth stressing over :)
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Everyone gains differently. Eat healthily, eat enough, but don't over indulge. Stop weighing yourself (I know how hard that is). Unfortunately, you've gained what you've gained, and you still have to gain healthy amounts from here to the end. But I don't think you're in too much trouble as long as you eat sensibly.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

remember that the 1lb/week is an average, so if you do gain a little bit more than 203, it doesn't mean that you have necessarily gained too much!
    there are so many other things to focus on while pregnant, in the grand scheme of life a few extra lbs gained aren't worth stressing over :)

^^^^This. Their are lots of factors, however 1lb is average. You might gain a little more, a little less. Just enjoy this time.
  • hopsywopsy
    Options
    Hi and congratulations! Not long now until you get to meet your baby!

As above posters said, do talk to your doctor first. I was told I only needed about 200 cals extra in the last trimester (http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/nutrition/diethealthypregnancy/) so perhaps you could still check your calories but not focus so much on your weight?

If you are having cravings, there is one theory which is that your body is telling you it needs something in your diet (e.g. potassium in peanut butter). You could look into other sources of what you get from a peanut jelly sandwich and see if that helps your cravings? Might be worth a go.

Mainly remember most of your weight is the baby, placenta and all the fluids. If it makes you feel any better, I LOVED weighing myself the week after having my son as I "lost" 7lbs in about 5 days. Obviously all water but the scales have never moved so fast for me before or since:-)

Good luck!
  • sophieclarev
    Options
    Just one point I wanted you to consider - If you breastfeed you will be using lots of energy to produce food for your baby. Not to mention all the other health benifits to you and Baby, it really helps lose that baby weight!!!
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just one point I wanted you to consider - If you breastfeed you will be using lots of energy to produce food for your baby. Not to mention all the other health benifits to you and Baby, it really helps lose that baby weight!!!

...just a note...

I gained all my weight after I had my babies, while nursing. Every body is different.

...mind you, I wasn't exercising when I was nursing. I thought it was such a rip off that not only did I not lose weight while nursing, I actually GAINED weight. :/ Sigh...but, when you look at that little baby WHO CARES!! Ha!
  • QOso03
    QOso03 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

...just a note...

I gained all my weight after I had my babies, while nursing. Every body is different.

...mind you, I wasn't exercising when I was nursing. I thought it was such a rip off that not only did I not lose weight while nursing, I actually GAINED weight. :/ Sigh...but, when you look at that little baby WHO CARES!! Ha!
    I also didnt lose weight from breastfeeding ... everyone is different and nursed on demand... my daughter is still thin but very very active... needless to say its made me second guess nursing past 3 months this time around