Gain 5lbs in 3 days?

Options
Can you gain 5lbs in 3 days? That's a short amount of time to gain that much weight right?
I havent been eating the best and havent done any major exercising these past days but i just cant believe that in 3 days i've gained all of 5 pounds.

Do you think i need a new scale or i'm just living in denial. sigh it really is a de-motivator :(

Replies

• SandysNewLife
    SandysNewLife Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Sounds about what happens to me. Yes, you can because of sodium.
  • cgirlygirl
    Options
    Water weight could be the culprit. I can't tell you not to weigh every day (because I am guilty of it myself) but don't give up :) Get plenty of water, eat well and then see what happens :) Good luck!
  • shaunpgillespie
    shaunpgillespie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Your daily weight can change so much from day to day. Most people recommend only weighing in once a week so you do not get discouraged.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You'd have to have eaten 17,500 more calories than you needed - that's almost 6,000 calories a day above your burn -

Likely some or most of it is water, particularly if you switched diets - I came back from 5 days of travel last Tuesday weighing 4 pounds more than when I left - it was gone by yesterday.

Get back on the path and forget it :)
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Yes possible . Excess sodium intake and not enough water perhaps.
  • darjeff
    darjeff Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Happens to me every time I visit my parents for the weekend! Don't be discouraged!
  • dlbinin
    dlbinin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I doubt it. You would have had to eat an excess of like 17,000 calories to do that. Probably mostly water weight. Salty foods will do it. Is it TOM. That alone will add 3-5 lbs temporarily. Watch your food choices, watch your salt intake and drinkn your water. You should see it come back down.
  • Spunky50
    Spunky50 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I gain and lose weight like that all the time, especially after I've been exercising. The body has a tendency to hold on to fluids to repair the muscles after working out. As long as you are eating your allotted calories, I wouldn't worry about it. Just stay with your plan and don't worry what the scales say!! Remember this is not a diet but a lifestyle change!!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    yes, you absolutely gained 5 pounds of fat in 3 days.

don't even think about food and liquids you consume or the fact that you may need to poop.

that would be crazy talk!
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    you need to eat 3500 calories above and beyond your daily allowed intake to gain 1 lb of fat. So unless you have eaten 10,500 calories above and beyond your daily intake, its not fat.

If you have not been hydrating, eating lots of sodium and things of that nature- you are probably retaining water. Drink more water (yes I know this sounds weird) it will help flush out your system and help with the retention. You will see the scale go back down.
  • CozZaretta
    Options
    Check your sodium levels first it affects water retention. Then, if you are a suitable candidate (didn't look at your profile) it could be hormonal. I gain 3-5 lbs around my period and lose it right after. It's still water weight, but with a different cause.