Injuries Anyone?

Options
Hey, so I am currently nursing a knee injury and was wondering if anyone else on here has had to overcome any kind of injury? What did you do? Did you feel like you had taken a step backward in your success? I put it under motivation and support because I feel like injuries can make us feel discouraged, and I wanted to know what other people thought, and how you overcame it.

Replies

• kclarkss
    kclarkss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had a knee injury well kinda. I started working out in June. Since I hadn't run in quiet awhile, I started out slow by walking, the next week I added in a run. So I walked for a song and ran for a song. Then I got up to running with a break to breath and run again. Well, my knew went out on me and I ended up hobbling for a week. I haven't tried running again. I also have a back injury and it hurts to walk, run and housework and elliptical. So I force myself to work the elliptical for at least 30 min. I tried for an hour and it hurt too much. I also have a shoulder injury and I can't do push ups or lift. So I mostly do leg lifts. I am hopeing with my back that it is just an overweight issue and when I lose a few pounds that issue will go away. As for my shoulder I am working with a therapist and see how it goes from there. Hopefully nothing serious, just time to let it heal. Same for the knee, maybe it was too much weight to run too soon. But yeah, ugg, I feel like 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards at times.
  • timarii
    timarii Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was lifting pretty heavy back in November and I'm pretty sure my chronic back pain in the first quarter (and severe back pain now) is an injury result of exercise. I kept learning that doing AB exercises was a waste because it we lose fat everywhere and doing crunches won't burn the fat on your stomach. So I wasn't strengthening my core but was doing risky moves like dead lifts with a weak core.

I Saw a quack-opractor (he was a joke) and it only made it worse, held me up in march with serious tailbone pain as a result of my treatment and I was stuck laying on my stomach for a week.

Now I know better so I'm hoping I can avoid any further injuries since I have now incorporated a TON of AB movements alternated between my strength training movements. It did set me back (pun not intended) because I have made little if any progress for the entire year so far but I have learned from it and am moving forward.

Good luck with your knee. It's a bummer but you'll get through it. Use the off time wisely to walk if you can (walking burns more calories FAT than cardio) and keeping motivated by reading the board, Pinterest, creating a gameplan for when youre better, setting S.M.A.R.T. goals and/or writing in a journal? (just some ideas)
  • dinoskycm
    dinoskycm Posts: 267
    Options
    Oh wow, yea I had a back injury quite a few years ago from a car accident, and physical therapy helped me with that, so maybe your physical therapist can help with that too. My muscles had tensed up in the accident, so they had to put these little electrodes on my back and do massages to get the knots out. So I definitely understand that. Where does you back hurt? Have you tried icing it?

As for my knee, I was walking and running as well with my best friend on a trail and i tore my meniscus. It's been like a week and a half so far and I've heard it can take up to three weeks to heal, so I'm just trying to ice it, hoping it will heal without surgery. It really is discouraging though sometimes.

Have you tried taking glucosamine and chondroitin? It's a supplement that's really good for joints and tendons so I'm hoping that will help too. haha :)
  • nokuperus
    nokuperus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, yea I had a back injury quite a few years ago from a car accident, and physical therapy helped me with that, so maybe your physical therapist can help with that too. My muscles had tensed up in the accident, so they had to put these little electrodes on my back and do massages to get the knots out. So I definitely understand that. Where does you back hurt? Have you tried icing it?

As for my knee, I was walking and running as well with my best friend on a trail and i tore my meniscus. It's been like a week and a half so far and I've heard it can take up to three weeks to heal, so I'm just trying to ice it, hoping it will heal without surgery. It really is discouraging though sometimes.

Have you tried taking glucosamine and chondroitin? It's a supplement that's really good for joints and tendons so I'm hoping that will help too. haha :)

I played roller derby and found out that i tore my ACL and Menisquis- ended up with surgery but for your case take Glucosamine it will help create new and also look for a fish oil vitamin - it will lubricate your joints and help with the healing as well.. as or the ice/heat - dont do it too long because it will make you stiffen up - rotate ice and heat 10/15 minutes each. . if you can and it doesnt hurt try the Elliptical on level 1 no hills no nothing just manual level one until you can gradually build up strength. - when i started up after surgery i did about 10-15 minutes 2/3 times a week. if your doing weights do very very very light ones and more reps but i wouldnt suggest that until 4-5weeks in.. start with leg lifts laying on your side or back and work your way into the weights.. sorry if i rambled hope this helps :)
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm currently struggling with femoral acetabular impingement. Basically my pelvis is tilted incorrectly and the head of my femur doesn't fit well in my hip socket so my bones rub together. It has really deterred my weight loss. I do intense PT twice a week and have been doing it for almost 18 weeks. However I have a very active job and some days when I get home I cannot even get up the stairs. Being my age (21) it's been a hard journey. I'm awaiting hip surgery which will knock me down even further. It can be hard to find motivation on days you cannot even move. I feel your pain!
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Well I seem to have hypermobile joints although haven't actually been to a Doc for an official diagnosis but my sister has and my joints are similarly freaky so I guess that I do. Have had pain in various joints most of my adult life. Currently it's my left shoulder and right hip giving me the most problems but the knees, lower back and elbows all like to remind me that they're there from time to time, too.

I guess there's nothing to do but get on with it for me, really, though. Meh....I try not to do something that I know is gonna really annoy the sore bit but just try to fit in exercise the same as usual most of the time.