250lbs+ down to ideal weight. Saggy skin?

Options
2»

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    From what i understand, your skin should still have its elasticity if you lose the weight slowly and properly. It's when people drop weight like crazy that the body doesnt have time to respond and the skin becomes saggy. My parents had the gastric bypass surgery and they had to deal with the saggy skin because of the rapid weight loss. If you do some strength training in addition to cardio, then it shouldn't be that bad because your skin will bounce back. :) I have worried about the same thing, and thats what my doctor told me. :)

While I agree with you that Weight loss patient that lose weight rapidly do have to deal with far more loose skin due to the skin not having time to adjust but the other side of the coin are people losing naturally and slowly and they too have to deal with loose skin issues... We are not immune to suffering the same results no matter how slow we take it off...... Best of Luck...
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yup. I went from 260 to 144.8 (my weight today) in about 13.5 months. I do have saggy skin on my lower belly and thighs. It sucks, but being over 250 pounds sucked a heck of a lot more.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    No sag issues for me so far, but I don't really care if I do wind up with some sag. I'd rather have some loose skin than 100 lbs of fat.

I'll just wait a few years, keep on with the diet, exercise, and moisturizer, and save up for a future tummy tuck.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm still working on my weight loss, so I'm worried about sagging skin, BUT...I think genetics might be on my side (for once).

My mother lost more than 100 pounds, and the only sag she really has is the one she got from having me!
  • jennajocummings
    Options
    Of course it depends on the person and how they carry their weight. It also depend on age and previous weight loss... ie yo-yo dieters. I weighed 260, got down to 175 and have saggy arms, stomach, and inner thighs. I am trying to lose the remaining weight now but surgery will be in my future. PS- FTR, It took me 2 years to lose 85 lbs and I strength train 4-5 days a week. Good luck!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I was 380 originally and now weigh 197 pounds...I lost the weight over 6 years and did weight work and cardio thruout...I do have excess skin but when you consider how much I initially weighed I dont think it is too bad :) I did do a post on my journal last year which really puts the skin on my stomach out in the open...its not pretty but feel free to look at http://kazzsjourney.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/excess-skin.html
  • redheadkirsty
    Options
    It's good to hear everyones experience.
    I drink a lot of water and am starting strength training shortly.
    I also think I have good genetics, my mum has a taut stomach after 4 kids. my aunt went from 240 to 115 with hardly any saggy skin and she didn't do anything to not have it.
    I'm still fairly young at 24 but I have had the excess weight for 9 or so years (the last 42lbs only the last 6 months)

Regardless I want the weight off so will have to see how it goes. I'm expecting it to be bad on my thighs and bum as that is where I carry all my weight. My stomach is fairly flat for someone my size. I'm an odd shape.