Keep me away from the brownies... please!

Options
I've been working on this diet for almost two weeks now. I know it's early in, but early in is when I need to get motivated the most. When I'm at work and around my co-workers, I am extremely motivated! I eat better, I feel better, I think about going home and exercising! But... the problem I'm having is when I am home. Things are usually fine until around 8pm. That is when the "snack attack" happens. I want sweets!! So much that it almost seems completely out of control some days (even though it's not). Last night, my boyfriend wanted brownies. So, he went out, bought some, came home and made them. And then I ate two. TWO!!! And today I feel like complete crap!! Does anyone else have a sugar craving late at night and if so, please give me some tips to stay on track!!

Replies

• tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    No Pudge Brownies may be your saving grace! When my husband makes a batch of his 'regular' brownies, I whip myself up a single portion of No Pudge. Hits the spot, every time!

Otherwise, to curb late night snacking, sometimes I pop a piece of gum. It's sweet and keeps my mouth occupied.
  • kym_lewis08
    Options
    Snack Attack happens to the best of us so don't feel bad. :flowerforyou: When I feel like I absolutely need something sweet I usually grab a yogurt from the fridge..so sweet and yummy..and only 100 cals. AND..when I feel like I absolutely need my chocolate fix, I run up town and grab a Special K double chocolate bar. They have about 190 cals but they are worth it!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Last night, my boyfriend wanted brownies. So, he went out, bought some, came home and made them.

If I've ever heard of a situation where you are setting yourself up for faulure, this is it.

I don't crave sweets, but If I'm hungry, there's a plate of brownies sitting there. You can bet I'll have those before I get to the fruit.

You just have to keep it out of the house. Don't know any other way to solve your problem.
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    Two things struck me at this one....1. get your boyfriend on board! If he is in your corner then he wont eat the brownies in front of you, he will choose a better snack or he will forgo his want for your sake. If you can get him to support you then the at home time might not be so bad. 2. find an sweet alternative. There are a million "100 calorie" things out there - Im sure there are a brownie or cookie that would satisfy your craving....
    But at the same time - are you planning on going the rest of your life without a brownie? No (Imguessing) so learning how to have 1 instead of 1/2 tray (thats what Id do) or 2 instead of 10 -- is what you have to do. You had 2 - ok, you did it, its over move forward - dont let it ruin your will. Dont let it get you down - just remember this feeling and next time think about this when you are reaching for the snack.
    As for ideas -- my kitchen is closed after 8pm...everythign wiped, cleaned, lights off etc...we dont go in there or walk thru it - I understand that this may not be condusive to your lifestyle but to be successful you have to make some hard decisions. Good luck!!!
  • gummibaehr
    Options
    Sweets are my weakness, too. (Especially brownies!) I used to keep away from sweets all together and then I would lose control and have embarrassing binges. Now, I allow myself to have sweets in small portions and only on the weekends. And even then, only if it's offered to me. (In other words, I don't go out and buy sweets for myself.)

Trust me, I know how hard it is to have sweets in the house. I live with my parents and my dad is a fiend for cookies and cakes and all sorts of junk food. I don't touch it. I tell myself it's gross and it's not food and it's not worth it. When I'm tempted, I grab something healthy to snack on or chew a piece of gum. On the weekends, I spend time with my boyfriend and we sometimes bake or he buys a treat from the bakery. I have a tiny portion of whatever it is and eat it very, VERY slowly. I'm finding it's always enough to curb my craving and I never feel guilty about it. And I always feel better about it when it's homemade or handmade because it has better ingredients than packaged sweets. I haven't binged on sweets since I started doing this and I know my happiness level is much higher. I was always down in the dumps when I banned sweets all together and even more down in the dumps when I binged.
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I was reading a book the other day that said that we have a chemical in our bodies that craves carbs (sweets). The books theory was to be sure to eat a big high healthy carb breakfast to avoid the late night cravings... I've tried it for about a week and i don't think i've had ANY late night sugar cravings since... i hadn't realised that till just now. OH and i used to get them about every night
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    oh the breakfast they suggest is
    1 protein (under 3 g. fat thoug)
    2 Fruits or veggis
    3 servings of high fiber, low sugar, carbohydrates

It sounds like it would break the calorie bank of the day, but if you make good choices its not that bad (300-400 cal) and its way worth it!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Get them out of the house...have him take them to work with him that way you're not tempted.
    Also...if you do make brownies...don't use a boxed mix. Make them from scratch using half whole wheat flour/half white flour, good cocoa powder...and use applesauce for the oil.
  • kalwine
    Options
    I appreciate all the advice! I think I'm going to stock the fridge with some of that Boston Creme Pie yogurt and some of the Special K bars! Excellent idea! Thank you guys!!
  • kalwine
    Options
    PS -- AND I LOVE the idea of "closing the kitchen". I think that should be a rule for my entire family. Thanks again!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Strawberries, fruit with honey, etc.
    Crackers and hummus also help, or a cup of tea with lemon juice and honey, super hot!