Half Marathon training

Options
nyy03
nyy03 Posts: 652 Member
Hi, I'm dong a half marathon (my first) May 16. I've been looking at training programs on the web and haven't decided which to follow. There are some that have you running all week with maybe 2 or 3 rest days. then there's another, Jeff Galloway that has you running Tues and Thurs for 30 min and then a long run on the weekend. Any suggestions on which one to do. Has anyone followed Jeff Galloways training?

Replies

• michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Hal Higdon's plan. I used it for half marathons and the full.
  • shannahrenee
    Options
    I'm training for a half as well. I haven' t decided which program to use yet so I figured I would tag this so I can look at other people's responses :smile:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    You don't want to run less than 3 times a week for your training and honestly 4 is a little better for most people. But the most important thing to remember is that you MUST make time for cross-training and lots of stretching. Also, google 'Royal Victoria Marathon' and check out their schedule. It's a very good one!
    Have FUN!! I LOVE the half marathon distance. It's an incredible and rewarding race :D
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I actually use the Smartcoach on www.runnersworld.com. It works for me!
  • tamietch
    Options
    my friend and i are doing the training that has you run tues, thurs approx 30 minutes to start out and long runs on one weekend day. we just started a last week and this seems to be the best way too go. you get plenty of rest time, but the runs really do their job.
  • lbragg
    lbragg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also training for a half-marathon. The race is actually through my grad school and they have this training program listed on the website:

http://www.towson.edu/campusrec/leadstronghalfmarathon/2009_LEADSTRONG/REVISED TRAINING PROGRAM 2009 LEAD STRONG.pdf

This training program is for those who have never run a half-marathon before! Hope this helps & good luck with your training :flowerforyou:
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I ran a half marathon last Feb. in just under 3 hours. I was very happy with my time since I had just 5 months previously. I used the Galloway method I was in a run 1 min. Walk 1 min. group at about a 14 min per mile pace. I was also going to spin classes once or twice a week and started swimming once a week. I ran in Jr High school PE because we had to and never ran after that (20 years) I am training for the full marathon in Feb. this year. We started the training in August for the full. I am in a 3 min. run 1 min walk 12:30 pace group this year. The thing I like about the Galloway method is we have a group here in Jacksonville. There are about 200 of us training for the marathon and about that same number training for the half. It is very helpful to train with a group. Since August I have missed 2 days of our long runs. I did them on my own so I could report back to my group that I had done the runs. A couple weeks ago we did a 20 mile run and it rained during the run. Nothing brings a group together like a shared experience. Last week it was in the 20's and one of our group members didn't show up so we called her and harassed her a bit. Nothing like 10 people giving you a hard time at 9 am. I bet she will be there Saturday morning rain or shine.

I may not be very fast and I am ok with that. But as someone who never ran before it has been great training with a group of people that were in about the same place I was. Plus I now have running friends. I can get people to go do my weekly training runs if I want. I would suggest finding a group of people to train with what ever method you decide on.
  • AlexisMacDonald
    Options
    I'm also intereseted in doing one in August so am tagging this so I can access it later. :smile:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I agree with finding a group to run with. Check your local running store for clinics that they might be operating. When I ran my first half marathon I met 3 people who have become VERY important friends!
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    Options
    I would love to run a half-mary, it has been my goal since I started running 2 years ago. We still aren't sure my body can handle it (I have leukemia) since I consistently hit a wall at 6 miles. I am interested to see all the available training programs out there though!