Freeweights vs Weight machines

Options
Whenever I go to the gym I do about 20 minutes of cardio to warm up (usually on the crossramp, at a high level) then head to the weight machines. The machines are fine, but I was wondering if there was an advantage to freeweights? Also, if anyone could give me some good introductory moves that would be great—there's never any ladies in that section of my gym :P

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I can't explain the details, but free weights are way better than machines.

I know some of it is you need to use more muscles when using a free weight to stabilize the weight. But not sure if thats all of the store.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Girl's are good with free weights too. Just be careful. I always make sure I have a partner to spot me when I lift heavy. Why injur yourself. So if I'm by myself I use the machines.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It explains in great detail why free weights are better than machines, and also gives you detailed instructions and plans for beginning a free weight program. There is a great group on MFP if you want to know more.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Using free weights is like pinpointing your routine, machines are more general and as the previous poster stated there is a more intense balancing act to free weights. Combinations of both with balance balls, etc is great!
  • mrsains
    mrsains Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hey... there are lots of resources online to help you build a free weight routine.

Try this site: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/women.html

I know it can be intimidating to enter that section of the gym -- women are scarce -- but once you get into your routine, you'll find your rightful place :)
  • jacquerd
    jacquerd Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Machines have their place, but I mostly use free weights and body weight. As already stated, free weights cause you to use more muscles than the machines isolate. Do as many compound exercises as you can rather than isolation. :)
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    2 things:

1. Lifting free weights engages a lot of stabilizer muscles, particularly in your core area when you're doing squats, cleans, etc.
    2. Lifting free weights allows you to use a natural movement path (which is not always a straight line up and down, in the bench press for example)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am sure you will get a lot of positive repsonses from all the people that use the free weights. I gather they give you a more comprehensive work out.

I use the machines myself because I have a back problem and am worried about my form, however I find I am getting pretty good results so I am happy.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I do 30% machines and the rest free weights. definately prefer free weights, I find I engage my core much more and use much better form.
  • tosmoothash
    tosmoothash Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I just made the switch. There are several benefits. One, free weights require you to learn better posture / position when doing them. I was finding the higher I went on the machines, the more I was contorting to do the manuever. Second, free weights will shape your faster (per my personal trainer), and third, free weights work you muscles even harder.

Lastly, if you have a brain injury, free weights can be used to re-train the brain.

So I would definitely get a trainer and go with the free-weights.

Good luck!
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I use a couple of machines but mostly the free weights. I was not getting the results I wanted by just using machines so my trainer put together a program for me and it used some free weights...boom suddenly I'm getting major results :)
  • chloekiyoko
    chloekiyoko Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good to know! Thanks! ((:
  • UNTOLDSMILE
    UNTOLDSMILE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Free weights offer more range of motion. I like them better.
  • keeponsteppin
    keeponsteppin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Free weights are better , however until you have done weights for a little while, the machines are good you are less likely to hurt yourself and you can be sure you are doing that particular exercise right.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Free weights are good for a number of reasons.

1) Machines can often put you in an unnatural position thus making you prone to injury
    2) Machines don't let you train your stabilizer/core muscles which can make you more prone to injury
    3) Free weights have more versatility. Your muscles can get used to a machine but changing angle, position and exercise which works the muscles can challenge your body.

I'm a big fan of free weights but sometimes machines do have a place in rare instances.

With free weights, you will be using less weight but that is perfectly ok.
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Free Weights vs. Machines

Machines are perceived as "safer" (and are, in a way) to free weights as they restrict your range of motion (which can be a pro or con). They mostly force you to have the right form (or go as far as they can to get you there). Less range of motion = no extremes/easier to keep form correctly, especially as they sort of mold you into the right position to use the machine correctly.
    They isolate a certain muscle (or two, on some) and ONLY work that specific muscle. (this applies to MOST machines, tho there are a few that you can use in a wide range of things, like pulldown/pullout types).

Free Weights increase the need for good form, as injury is easier when you have to do it all yourself, (for this reason it's good to have a workout partner/spotter, because they can see your form while you're doing the exercise and correct you if need be, including pushing or limiting the body part you are using to keep your form correct). Free weights give you a greater range of motion, allowing you to work the muscle better. Free weights have a lot of compound movements (depending on what you're doing, there are plenty of isolated ones). Compound movements move several, if not many, muscle groups at the same time to accomplish the lift or move. Lift heavy for one exercise and work 4 or 5 or 6 muscle groups ? Hell yeah !

Free weights (and full body workouts) are great for beginners because you're starting with a blank canvas, so to speak. You can only get better. Machines (and isolated FW movements) are good for working on weak areas. When you can no longer progress in a lift or move, it is often one or two muscle groups limiting you because they are weaker than the rest of the muscles used in that movement. Then you can add the machines to specifically work your weak areas, to help you progress in the free weights.

HTH

(beginner myself, but have been doing a crapload of reading)