So lost.. Am I doing this right??

Options
I've been doing this for about 11 days now.. I am a 21 year old female. I am 5'5 ... 137 pounds. I would like to lose a pound a week. My fitness pal calculated that I need to eat 1360 a day. So I have been meeting my calorie goals and eating back the calories that I burn during exercise. I weighed myself for the first time today since this started an it said 145.7(yes the same scale). This is my first time trying to eat better. Can you please look at my diary and give any suggestions? I am very new to this. I went from eating around 2500-3000 calories a day to no activity at all.. To a 1360 caloric intake and adding activity. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• pagella
    pagella Posts: 44
    Options
    Im not able to view your dairy. What time are you eating your last meal or snack?
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    try upping your water intake, lowering your sodium and opening your diary so we can help even more!
  • eric5150ii
    eric5150ii Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Also - are you weighing in the morning before any intake, or evening? Consistency is the key to accurate tracking, and I would recommend the AM before any consumption, but after the morning ablution.
  • agilitygirl1956
    agilitygirl1956 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to weigh yourself at the same time. I seem to alway weigh more at night than in the morning.

Watch that you count all the calories you drink, I can pass on food, it's the drinking that gets me. Coffee with flavored creamers and sweet tea are my down fall on most days taking me over my calories.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Also - are you weighing in the morning before any intake, or evening? Consistency is the key to accurate tracking, and I would recommend the AM before any consumption, but after the morning ablution.

Yes...same time on the same day every week. First thing in the morning after you "business" is done and make sure you're wearing similar clothing each weigh in. Also, factor in when you're do for your ladies days and remember that you can be as much as 5lbs heavier the week before you're due...
  • MyBodyMyMachine
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but what kinds of foods are you eating? Are you eating a ton of processed or packaged foods? Are you getting enough protein and trying to have a protein with each carb? Snacking, or only eating 3 meals a day? Working out?
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    I've been doing this for about 11 days now.. I am a 21 year old female. I am 5'5 ... 137 pounds. I would like to lose a pound a week. My fitness pal calculated that I need to eat 1360 a day. So I have been meeting my calorie goals and eating back the calories that I burn during exercise. I weighed myself for the first time today since this started an it said 145.7(yes the same scale). This is my first time trying to eat better. Can you please look at my diary and give any suggestions? I am very new to this. I went from eating around 2500-3000 calories a day to no activity at all.. To a 1360 caloric intake and adding activity. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
    This may be an obvious question but are you due for your period? I can go up 7lbs right before I get mine...it's all water and it regulates after a week or so.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    If you are doing strength training and starting out, you can gain up to 10 pounds (water) as you muscles try to repair the damage.

Also, MFP isn't the great at measuring some calories for exercise. At your weight you should be around 550 per hour of running etc. Half that for walking. And it's possible you are not using a food scale, and it s very easy to underestimate by as much as 60%.

Get a food scale and a measuring cup. it's usually food that is the problem.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Your diary isn't open.
    Maybe try not eating back your calories or just 1/2 the exercise cals and see if that helps
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    sounds like you arent eating enough to me.

your weight is already 'healthy' so a 1 lb loss per week prolly isnt gonna happen.

try strength training. toning can make a dramatic improvement in appearance with no weight actually lost.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Are you taking a rest day the day before you weigh? I know if I workout the day before my body holds a lot of water and I don't get an accurate weight.
  • Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If you are doing strength training and starting out, you can gain up to 10 pounds (water) as you muscles try to repair the damage.

Also, MFP isn't the great at measuring some calories for exercise. At your weight you should be around 550 per hour of running etc. Half that for walking. And it's possible you are not using a food scale, and it s very easy to underestimate by as much as 60%.

Get a food scale and a measuring cup. it's usually food that is the problem.

this is so true. Are you sore after a workout. Water retension may be the cause. Give it two more weeks and see if the weight starts coming off
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Im not able to view your dairy. What time are you eating your last meal or snack?

What time you eat doesn't matter.
  • spippin73
    Options
    Are you sure all your data in your profile is correct? I am 5'5" with a starting weight of 165. I have lost over 9 pounds in 8 weeks, but my allotted daily calorie intake is only 1200. Also, make sure you are not exceeding your carb and fat amounts. A little extra protein with exercise is probably ok. Weigh the same time each day. I know this program works so hang in there!!!
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ljk3rcOSgg1qbqrtb.gif

1. As everyone else has stated, make sure your weighing yourself at roughly the same time each week -- after going to the bathroom, before showering, before eating or drinking, and in the same clothes (or without clothes at all).

2. If you're tracking calories burnt without an HRM and using MFP's estimates or an exercise machine's estimates, STOP. They're not accurate. Get an HRM with a chest strap if you can afford one. If not, work your exercise calories INTO your daily goal. Try Scooby's Calculator. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

3. Finally, go for strength training! You haven't got much to lose, and strength training would be great to tone up in this case. You'll see progress with loss of inches, which can be the same thing or even better than losing the weight itself. The pounds aren't the problem, the fat is.. Right?! :D Right.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Yes, please open diary so we can give you better advice.

I too suffered from a similar issue a month ago and was gaining with eating back my exercise calories. So I stopped eating them and what do you know? Of course, losing as I was hoping. In full disclosure, I'm male, much older than you and a whole lot tubbier so it's very easy for me to create a large deficit. That said, I do eat some of my calories back, IF AND ONLY IF, I'm hungry. I do this with an understanding (and commitment to myself) that IF I stall I need to start eating more of them.

One thing you could do for the next 2-3 weeks is try not eating them back (or perhaps half) and see what that does for you. If it works, continue doing so until you stall. When that happens add 200 calories for 2-3 weeks and see if that breaks the stall. If not, add another 150 - 200. So on and so forth.

The other thing I would do is change your Macro settings (if you haven't already). MFP has the Carbs really high (55%) and protein very low. Shoot for 40% Carbs/40% Protein/20% Fat or 40%/30%/30%. You can do this by going back into your goals and doing Custom settings. Simply change the %'s for these fields. When losing weight it's often good to balance your macro nutrients as carbs (for many people) are part of the problem.

Lastly, without even looking at your diary make sure these items are making up 80% of your nutrition. It isn't always just about the number of calories but rather where they come from. Think Whole foods, i.e. stuff that has little ingredients and doesn't come in a "box".

Dairy--Low fat cheeses, greek and reg lowfat yogurts, milk, cottage cheese...if Lactose intolerant or other reason swap Almond/Coconut Milk

Whole grains--These should be your primary carb sources; Whole wheat breads and pasta, quinoa, whole grain rice, etc.

Fruits and veggies--Have one of these with every meal if possible, i.e. banana or fresh fruit with other items for breakfast; protein/carb/veggie for lunch and dinner; Could be salad for lunch with protein and a whole wheat pita or turkey on whole wheat bread sandwich plus a handful of carrots or celery; If you can more veggies than fruits (more carbs and sugar in fruit); Sweet potatoes over white.

Protein--Lean meats including chicken, eggs, turkey, lean beef, fish and shellfish; Dairy foods also have a lot of protein especially cottage cheese; Beans are another good source

Fats--Fat doesn't make you fat...too many calories do. Focus on good fats such as nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews), nut butters (all natural peanut butter, almond butter, etc.) and good oils like olive, coconut, sesame and canola. Fats make you feel very full and I always use an oil for dinner such as sauteing vegetables.

The last tidbit (and there's lots of controversy on this one) is try to avoid eating 3 hours before bedtime. If you have to avoid Carbs like the plague.

Here's the caveat to the above: If you work out first thing in the morning doing above gives you the ideal fat burning scenario beyond all other suggestions. Why? You're body burns carbs 1st and foremost. When you sleep you deplete the carbs and glycogen (stored carbs) as they fuel your body. In the morning after you've "fasted" for 8+ hours, metabolically your body is in a state where it has no other choice but to burn fat. Make sure you eat a balanced meal after your workout that contains both carbs and proteins (my staple is eggs, 1 slice whole grain wheat and 1-2 cups of fruit).
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you all so much ! I will figure out how to open my diary
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I haven't been recording my water intake - but I drink roughly 2000 ml of water daily. Hardly ever anything else.. My last meal is usually between 5-6 pm
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ljk3rcOSgg1qbqrtb.gif

1. As everyone else has stated, make sure your weighing yourself at roughly the same time each week -- after going to the bathroom, before showering, before eating or drinking, and in the same clothes (or without clothes at all).

2. If you're tracking calories burnt without an HRM and using MFP's estimates or an exercise machine's estimates, STOP. They're not accurate. Get an HRM with a chest strap if you can afford one. If not, work your exercise calories INTO your daily goal. Try Scooby's Calculator. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

3. Finally, go for strength training! You haven't got much to lose, and strength training would be great to tone up in this case. You'll see progress with loss of inches, which can be the same thing or even better than losing the weight itself. The pounds aren't the problem, the fat is.. Right?! :D Right.

I don't think you're eating enough... Definitely checkout the calculator mentioned above. Hope that helps!