What exercise can I do with a ruptured achilles?

Options
So...I've torn my achilles (JUST as I was starting to enjoy running!) and don't want to stop exercising. I am currently in a moon boot with a high chance of being transferred to a cast on Wednesday. I'm smack bang in the middle of C25K and obviously can't do that for a while!

What exercises can I do? I'm going to have to be really strict on my eating so I still lose. ARGH THIS SUCKS!!

Replies

• otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Look up armchair workouts for starters. You can do some weight lifting from a sitting position or lying on your back on the floor. I would imagine you could do straight leg lifts lying on the floor or standing but I would check this out with your doc or PT. This is a pretty "out there" thought, but if you stay in a moon boot (which I assume is removeable) can you get it wet? I'm wondering about working out in a pool...
  • georgie_lou
    georgie_lou Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Look up armchair workouts for starters. You can do some weight lifting from a sitting position or lying on your back on the floor. I would imagine you could do straight leg lifts lying on the floor or standing but I would check this out with your doc or PT. This is a pretty "out there" thought, but if you stay in a moon boot (which I assume is removeable) can you get it wet? I'm wondering about working out in a pool...

I'll google it now!!

Yeah I can remove the boot, but even the weight of the duvet on my leg at the moment is pain like I've never felt! I considered swimming but apparently the resistance would be too much right now. Definitely on the list for when I'm moving better though
  • kellekaj
    kellekaj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I got Tendinitis of the achilles about 4 weeks ago. I was also half way through CK25 - and also just starting to enjoy running - it killed me to have to stop. I found the bike caused me no pain and other than that I walked slowly and did weights. I've been to the physio 3 times and have slowly added the cross trainer to my work out. Today was the first day I have been able to run with no pain or pulling.:) I wish you a speedy recovery.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have heard that is a very painful injury! I wasn't actually thinking about swimming, but I was wondering if you could wear the boot in the pool and do some water aerobics. Maybe that's a thought for further down the road to recovery. Good luck!
  • georgie_lou
    Options
    I feel your pain! I never thought I'd miss the gym...but I doooo!! I'm seeing my personal trainer tomorrow as planned...hopefully he has some ideas too.

Alternatively...if I just ate healthy, I would still lose some weight each week...say I go 12 weeks without exercise, when I start exercising again will my body jump start again and start to lose more weight? Could this potentially stop me from plateauing?
  • acmilan11
    acmilan11 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I had some injuryies and coulding run. If you have a friend who knows boxing, you can have a great workout hitting the mitts. Also, if your gym has TRX suspension training! I hope your recovery is quick!!!
  • misssarah_
    Options
    I got boxing gloves and pads and bag ;)
  • georgie_lou
    Options
    I got boxing gloves and pads and bag ;)

Sounds good to me!!! I can do it sitting down
  • Jacahu
    Jacahu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hey, sorry to hear about your injury. In the past I've blown out both of mine and had to deal with the recovery. Be patient and keep working at it. I was back to playing basketball and volleyball within six months, but it took a lot of work. Im sure if you keep at it you will be fine and be right back at it. It probably seems like forever right now, but it will go by and you will be back at it. Good Luck!
  • blackdahlia22
    blackdahlia22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can totally feel your pain. I have been in a boot for 6 weeks due to supposedly a severely sprained ankle, 5 weeks of which I have been confined to my bed keeping my foot propped. (My ankle is still swollen and they now believe something is torn.) I am now allowed to begin walking in the boot but in moderation. I have started back to the gym and been using an arm cycle as well as doing some weight training. I also suggest that when you can begin swimming. I encourage you to get as much activity in as you can because the 5 weeks I was confined to my bed I have had severe issues with sleep due to not expending my energy. Unfortunately it has only been 4 days since I was released from bed rest and I continue to have severe sleep issues.

Good Luck!
  • misssarah_
    Options
    Sweet its a date. Let me know when you wanna do it :)
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Lie on your back and pedal your legs like you're riding a bike =]
  • georgie_lou
    Options
    Lie on your back and pedal your legs like you're riding a bike =]

That might be one for a couple of weeks away haha. Everything hurts at the moment!! I'm making a list of al these ideas though!
  • almsha
    almsha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The Podiatric group I used to work for put ALL Achilles Ruptures on Non Weight Bearing status for at least 4 weeks if not 6 weeks; then moved them to partial weight bearing for 2 weeks before starting physical therapy to transition back to normal activity. This was if no surgery was required. If surgery is required can be up to 6 months. You do not want to play around with this. If it causes pain do not do it. As far as swimming, NO; bicycling NO...the "boot" is to immobilize the ankle area so the tendon is not used and can heal properly. Best of luck with your recovery.
  • roberttaniguchi
    Options
    I just ruptured my Achilles last week. I was wondering how long it took you to get back to working out again? Right now for me any strenuous exercise causes my foot to swell painfully.