What to do with chicken breast?

Options
sivankeren
sivankeren Posts: 105 Member
So, I just got a lot of chicken breat (schnitzel), and I need to make it soon. How should I make it so it will taste good but not add too much calories?

I'm making it in an electric pan (doesn't use oil!).
Also, I keep kosher, so I can't use yogurt/cheese. Any ideas?

Replies

• butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Chicken nuggets?
  • Jenny_Lou20
    Jenny_Lou20 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was browsing on www.skinnytaste.com today for chicken cause its my fav thing...I'll list some recipes here for you and you can modify them to your needs. I haven't tried any yet but dang do they sound and LOOK delish!!!!(also visit her site :))

Coconut Chicken Salad with Warm Honey Mustard Vinaigrette

Servings: 3 Serving Size: salad with 2 chicken tenders
    Calories: 397.6 Fat 11.0g Protein: 26.8g Carbs: 32.5g Fiber: 4.4g Sugar: 10

Ingredients:

*6(about 12 oz)chicken tenderloins(you can make your own from the breasts)
    *6 Tbsp Sweetened Shredded Coconut
    *1/4 Cup Panko Crumbs
    *2 Tbsp crushed Cornflake crumbs
    *1/3 Cup egg substitute or egg whites
    *pinch salt
    *olive oil spray
    *6 Cups mix baby greens
    *3/4 Cup shredded carrots
    *1 Large Tomato, sliced
    *1 small Cucumber, sliced

Vinaigrette
    *1 Tbsp Oil
    *1 Tbsp Honey
    *1 Tbsp white vinegar(balsamic would work too)
    *2 Tsp Dijon Mustard

Whisk all vinaigrette ingredients; set aside.

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine coconut flakes,panko, cornflake crumbs, and salt in a bowl. Put egg whites or egg beaters in another bowl.

Lightly season chicken with salt. Dip the chicken in the egg, then in the coconut crumb mixture. Place chicken on a cookie sheet lined with parchment for easy cleanup. Lightly spray with olive oil spray and bake for 30 minutes turning halfway, or until chicken is cooked through.

Place 2 cups baby greens on each plate. Divide carrots, cucumber, tomato evening between each plate. Which chicken is ready slice on the diagonal and place on top of greens. Heat dressing in the microwave a few seconds and divide equally between each salad; a little over 1 Tbsp each.

Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets
    Servings: 4 Serving Size: 1/4th of nuggets
    Calories: 164.9 Fat: 4.6g Protein: 22.1g Carbs: 7.7g Fiber: 0.9g Sugar: 0.1g

Ingredients
    *16oz(2 large)skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into even bite sized pieces
    *Salt and pepper to taste
    *2 Tsp olive oil
    *6 Tbsp whole wheat Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs
    *2 Tbsp Panko
    *2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese(you could easily omit this)
    *Olive Oil Spray

Preheat oven to 425. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray.

Put the olive oil in one bowl and the breadcrumbs, panko, and cheese in another.

Season chicken with salt and pepper, then put in the bowl with the olive oil and mix well so the olive oil evenly coats all of the chicken.

Put a few chunks of chicken at a time into the breadcrumb mixture to coat, then on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the top with olive oil spray then bkae 8-10 minutes, Turn over then cook another 4-5 minutes or until cooked through.

Grilled Chicken and Spinach Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
    Servings: 4 Serving Size: 1/4th
    Calories 183.1 Fat: 8.1g Protein: 17.5g Carbs: 11.7g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 1.7g

Ingredients:
    *4 boneless skinless chicken breasts(3 oz each)
    *7 oz bag baby spinach
    *few thin slices of red onion
    * 1/2 sweet red bell pepper, sliced into strips
    *1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced in half
    *1 carrot, sliced into ribbons

For the Marinade:
    *2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
    *1 Tsp dried oregano
    *1 Tsp garlic, crushed
    *kosher salt to taste
    *fresh ground black pepper to taste

For the White Balsamic Vinaigrette:
    *1/4 Cup basil leaves
    *3 Tbsp White Balsamic Vinegar
    *2 Tbsp chopped shallots
    *1 Tbsp water
    *2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    *pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
    Combine the marinade ingredients - lemon juice, oregano, garlic puree, salt and pepper and pour over chicken, let it marinade in the fridge a minimum of 2 hours, but preferably 4-6 hours or longer.

Place all the vinaigrette ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.

Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill to medium-high, make sure your grates are clean and lightly oiled to prevent sticking. When the grill is hot, lay the chicken on the grill. Cook the chicken until well browned on both sides and firm, but not hard to the touch. Transfer to a plate when done.

Divide spinach, onions, carrots, tomatoes, and peppers on 4 plates. Top with the chicken and drizzle with balsamic dressing over each.

All these recipes are from www.skinnytaste.com.
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas! Mmmmmm
  • sivankeren
    sivankeren Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was browsing on www.skinnytaste.com today for chicken cause its my fav thing...I'll list some recipes here for you and you can modify them to your needs. I haven't tried any yet but dang do they sound and LOOK delish!!!!(also visit her site :))

These sound great, I'm thinking of doing a combination of the nuggets and the grilled, but I'll check the site for more options, thanks!
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I've been recently doing it with rice and wild raspberry salad dressing. Tastes like sweet n' sour chicken to me. :-)
  • TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Chicken enchilada soup.... make it without cheese.

Chicken salad

Lemon pepper chicken
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I like to take a chicken breast and slice it into thin strips, slice up some mushrooms and julienne some carrots and then I stir fry them quickly in a TBSP of chinese black bean garlic sauce (with a few TBSP of water added as well).

So yummy and super quick. It takes less than 10 minutes once it hits the pan.
  • cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bumping for later!
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Top chicken breast with 1/4-1/2 cup salsa. Bake in preheated oven at 350 for 30 min. I top with shredded cheese for the last 10 min. Serve with tortillas chips, beans, etc. Easy and yummy.
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Apply heat.
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I cut it into bite size pcs - put it on the grill and cook it - when it is almost done I brush it with BBQ sauce. I also put a little BBQ sauce in a small cup to dip just in case I want a little more sauce. Yummy!!!
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Chicken nuggets?

This made me think of another thing I do! Little bit of Mrs. Dash lemon pepper + Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb, and Whole Wheat Flour. You can do as much flavoring as you want proportionate to your flour. Dip the chicken in egg whites, coat them, dip again, coat once more. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes! no added salt and comes out awesome!!
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love Caribbean food, I think some of it might match your needs. I cook from their food all the time. Most of these recipes can be done with chicken breasts.

http://caribbeanpot.com/category/chicken-recipes/
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've been recently doing it with rice and wild raspberry salad dressing. Tastes like sweet n' sour chicken to me. :-)

Ohh this sounds good! Im going to have to try!
  • SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Explanation: I'm really lazy in the kitchen and I hate spending ages at the stove. Dishes. Urgh. This is my default chicken starter, which can then be thrown into a salad, or combined with stir-fry vege, or wrapped up inside sushi rolls, or picked out of the pan, hot, and eaten in your fingers. The whole exercise should take 10 minutes.

You will need: electric pan, stirring implement, chicken, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, crushed ginger, sesame seeds

Quick fix chicken:
    Turn pan onto medium high
    Slice up the chicken, toss it into the pan
    Slosh a spoonful of vinegar and soy sauce over the chicken and stir. It should be sizzling nicely by now.
    Add a large spoonful of crushed ginger
    Add a teaspoon of sesame seeds
    stir again, wait until sauce has caramelized (gone dark brown) and check that chicken is cooked through.

Optional extras: garlic, mushroom, onion, lemon juice, chilli
    Getting fancy: wrap each small piece of chicken in a sliced of pickled ginger, add a spring onion shoot and a couple of bean sprouts, wrap again in a lettuce leaf. (it's like sushi for low-carbers)
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the kosher part, but today I boiled chicken breast, cut it into pieces and shredded it when cool. I layered long grain brown rice, the chicken, the steamed broccoli, repeat and on top a mixture of sauteed onion, celery, cream of chicken soup & a cuip of skim milk and baked for 30 minutes. It made 7 almost 9 oz servings at 315 cals.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I like mine with lemon pepper seasoning, baked in a casserole dish topped with stuffing, seasoned with "Jamaican Jerk Seasoning", brushed with a bit of olive oil and sprinked with Italian seasoning and baked or grilled, marinated in Italian dressing and grilled. We don't like chicken around my house.:happy:
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I usually grill it in a skillet (with alittle pam spray) and put on brown rice - though I am a pretty plain eater
  • maisfree
    maisfree Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    this recipe makes a juicy and tender steamed chicken breast! (it's modified from the original recipe --> you can refer to http://cookpad.com/recipe/1066655. it's in Japanese though!)

1. wash chicken breast, stick with fork several times. marinade it in ~1 tsp of ground/smashed garlic and ginger for ~30 min in frige. You can skip the 30 min part and go to the next step if u wanna be quick.
    2. boil water in a pot. place chicken breast, boil on high for 5 minutes without lid.
    3. Turn off heat, put the lid on and wait for 20 min.
    4. wash chicken under running cold water if you want to serve it cold.

you can use any type of dressing, but if you like asian/japanese type of flavors you can try the following sauce to go with the chicken:

2.5 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp sugar
    1 tbsp sesame oil
    0.5 tsp ground garlic
    1 tsp chopped scallion

you can pour this sauce over the chicken or marinade it for ~15 min or so. i put this chicken and the sauce over salad, and it's delicious =)
  • dizneedana
    dizneedana Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    put it on a tortilla with lettuce, a little cheese, and some low fat ranch