Not sure

Options
I am fairly new to the site - been on about a week - and I have been reading the posts. I am really encouraged by the things I have read but I do not have a really good grasp of how to use this site. Any help would be appreciated.

I am 46 and need to lose about 140 pounds. I have always been heavy but I have been trying all year to lose weight and have managed to take off about 20 pounds in 8 months. It has been really hard and I do not have much of a support system. I am hoping for encouragement and ideas from others here.

Replies

• Shellhenning
    Options
    I have always been heavy as well and had a hard time losing weight because I am a juvenile diabetic. I have found if I eat smaller meals every few hours, it is easier on me and boosts my metabolism! I also have found that small amounts of food can be really calorie laden so I am learning to eat combinations with less calories and allow bigger portions. I also have founs making my own Italian dressing offers less calories and tastes better.
  • 780ck
    780ck Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am a working mom of 2 boys. I have been here for 7 weeks & love it. Could use some support & I also will try to motivate!
  • misskristy30
    Options
    Congrats on the 20 lbs! That's great! Are you using the sight to track calories? Feel free to add me!
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Spend some time reading about nutrition and CALORIE DEFICITS in google, just spend a good couple of days reading, trust me it will do you a world of favour having all that information to manifest a plan for yourself =]
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Eat less, exercise more.
  • mkcreek
    mkcreek Posts: 10
    Options
    I use the site to track everything I eat. I've been a member since early January and have lost 35 pounds. I also have been able to go down two sizes in pants/dresses so far. My original motivation was my son's October wedding. I bought my mother of the groom dress in March, and just returned it yesterday for the same dress two sizes smaller. I also feel 100% better than I did when I started.

Feel free to add me as a friend! This site does work. My favorite part is at the end of the day, when you complete your food diary, it tells you "if every day were like today, you'd weigh ____ in 5 weeks." That prediction has been very motivating for me, especially once I realized it was accurate!

Best of luck! You will have lots of friends and lots of support here!
  • cathiaflock
    cathiaflock Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've finally learned to use my food scale instead of guestamating what a serving size is. It isn't easy- I've been using this site since December as well and am .4 away from 20 lbs. It is hard work but you choose your hardness =)

Cathi