Nuts Are A Rubbish Source Of Protein

Options
Hendrix7
Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
I see a lot of people recommending nuts as a snack for people who want to bump up their protein intake. Imo this is a poor choice once you realise the volume of fat you need to consume to get a decent serving if protein out of them, and a poor choice for dieters generally.

For this I will consider 20 grams of protein a 'decent serving' of protein and take 2 typical nuts cashews and almonds.

Almonds
per 100g
Energy kCal 653
Protein 25.4g
Carbohydrate 26.5
Fat 55.8g

In order to get 20 grams of protein you would need to consume about 80g of almonds which comes with almost 50g of fat.

Cashews
100g
Energy kCal 637kCal
Protein 19.5g
Carbohydrate 26.5g
Fat 49.4g

same for cashews.

Considering most people here are on calorie restricted diets, such a calorie dense food really is not a good choice. A hand full of nuts, which is a tiny serving, could well be over 400 calories and will not keep you satisfied whatsoever.

But what about fats, they must be good for that right right?

Well, the majority of the fat in nuts are omega-6's which most people already get too many of compared to omega-3.So even as a fat source they are.....meh.

In summary, nuts = overrated.

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Nuts are good, but yeah, there are much better sources of protein if you're trying to get a "high protein" snack! Thanks for posting. Although I guess I don't agree that they are overrated altogether.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Well, the majority of the fat in nuts are omega-6's which most people already get too many of compared to omega-3.So even as a fat source they are.....meh.

Depends on the nut. Macadamias are mostly Omega 3 and not 6.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Well, I just love nuts....and I justify eating them by saying that it's for the protein, don't go ruining it for me, sheesh!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    The fats in many nuts (especially almonds) are very healthy and should not be restricted as long as you are within your calories. They are not loaded with protein, but they are a good opportunity to incorporate some protein into many diets that are often filled with processed foods.
  • mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree. I only eat a small amount of nuts if I need a quick, fatty snack to tide me over for a few hours.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    There are a multitude of benefits to nuts other than protein and fats. I don't eat them for the protein, although it doesn't hurt that it exists.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Bump interested to hear responses
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Specifically for protein, I completely agree. Too many nuts and nut butters can get you into trouble with concern to calories.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow.

FTR, I think that the popularity of low carb dieting has confused the masses between fat and protein. People tend to think that things allowed on low carb diets are high protein by definition.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I've defended MFP posters as being positive and supportive. Now, I see the evil side. :devil: I'm not listening, and my nuts are staying! :laugh:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Except for the part where the fat from nuts is healthy for you.
    Except for the fiber that a serving of nuts provides.
    Except where nuts are filling and prevent people like me from hitting the candy machine for a Twix bar some other such bad food. Except for the part where eating nuts has been shown to have a positive effect of cholesterol levels.
    Except for the part where nuts have been shown to have a beneficial effect on heart health.

With those slight exceptions, I agree with every word of the OP.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't think people plan to get in a whole 20 grams of protein from a small nut snack. A handful of nuts is a snack, not a meal. I find a small handful to be a very satisifying snack-
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Well, I just love nuts....and I justify eating them by saying that it's for the protein, don't go ruining it for me, sheesh!

lol.. yes.
  • ThatMrs99
    Options
    There are people out here who eat for overall health - myself included. So for me, nuts are great :)
  • blwalton70
    blwalton70 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Could not have said it better myself! AMEN! I love nuts!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people recommending nuts as a snack for people who want to bump up their protein intake. Imo this is a poor choice once you realise the volume of fat you need to consume to get a decent serving if protein out of them, and a poor choice for dieters generally.

For this I will consider 20 grams of protein a 'decent serving' of protein and take 2 typical nuts cashews and almonds.

Almonds
    per 100g
    Energy kCal 653
    Protein 25.4g
    Carbohydrate 26.5
    Fat 55.8g

In order to get 20 grams of protein you would need to consume about 80g of almonds which comes with almost 50g of fat.

Cashews
    100g
    Energy kCal 637kCal
    Protein 19.5g
    Carbohydrate 26.5g
    Fat 49.4g

same for cashews.

Considering most people here are on calorie restricted diets, such a calorie dense food really is not a good choice. A hand full of nuts, which is a tiny serving, could well be over 400 calories and will not keep you satisfied whatsoever.

But what about fats, they must be good for that right right?

In summary, nuts = overrated.

I'm on the fence with this one.
    I've hated almonds all my life... recently tried them again.. and I LOVE them... way more than I should.
    They have healthy fats... but I find that its hard for me to eat a small handful and they take up a huge amount of cals.
    I still add them to my diet... But I def have to be careful with them...
    I can't give up the nuts. :laugh:
    Pistachio's are my other weakness!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I tend to recommend shrimp.
  • fluffeesquirrel
    fluffeesquirrel Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I actually find nuts to sustain me for quite a while... but, if that's your opinion based on the fat content and calories, that's fine, however it doesn't change that they still have protein in them and they're not BAD for you. I agree that things such as lean chicken have more protein/less fat/less calories and will even concede that they're better if your goal is protein... But, as a personal preference I would rather get protein from things that naturally have it than to add protein powders and things of that nature. Maybe it's crazy and it might make no difference nutritionally but, I just feel like it's more "worthwhile" and wholesome or something.