Nervous newly diagnised Diabetic HELP

Options
Hi Just joined this great site and hoping for any help and support out there,
Quick history need to lose 6 stones(I wish) have twice lost 5 stone (Atkins and starvation)
both times weight went back on and more.
Have been very ill and had hospital stay of 4 months because of pancreatitus
with complications. 2 ops later and just beginning to feel a bit better when the latest
bombshell DIABETIC Type 1. Feeling very very nervous but hoping food diary and message boards
will help.

Cheers

Replies

• 1BRIGHTCHICK
    1BRIGHTCHICK Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Howdy! Well, I just learned of my Diabetes on 7/28 after experiencing DKA with a glucose of 998. Somehow, I drove myself to the hospital and stayed in ICU for 6 days as a result of this new discovery. I also have PCOS, and just 6 months ago, my Endocrinologist said I was pre-diabetic, but that's all. Well, my Pancreas in my doctor's words decided to "poop out" and stop producing insulin. Hence, the episode on 7/28.

So, I've been home since 8/3 and it's been a total lifestyle adjustment to say the least. I now take a very high dosage of Insulin 4 times a day, I ride the stationary bike 30 minutes a day in the morning, cook almost every day, eat 6 times a day, my eyes change almost every day, my right ankle or foot hurts when it feels like it, and my blood sugar drops ridiculously about 1-2 times a day. With all that said, I'm pretty accepting of the new lifestyle change and am just ready to get back to some type of normalcy. Besides being overweight and having PCOS, my father and grandfather who recently lost his leg both have Diabetes, so there was no reason for me to be surprised by the recent diagnosis. I'm just grateful that I made it to my 37th birthday last Friday! I'm home on short-term disability until Sept 7th bored out of my mind. Since my body continues to go through change, I'm pretty glad I'm not experiencing these changes at work. Anyway, that's my story. I look forward to sharing experiences here with all the Diabetics. It really hasn't been too difficult, just a complete lifestyle change and reminding myself of that fact.

TK
  • 1BRIGHTCHICK
    Options
    So far I have found this site to be very helpful with calorie and carb management. I wish you well and good health going forward.

TK
  • shanda1295
    Options
    Hello nice to hear from you I started zumba,power walking and running. I started new eating habits and changed my mind set and my health improved within three months. Hope I helped u with my answer
  • sarakat44
    sarakat44 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic, but wanted to wish you both luck on your journey to better health,
  • Natsume
    Natsume Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am the wife of a Type 1 diabetic, and we have been married for 4 years. The good news is you can eat almost whatever you want, as long as you take your insulin. The best advice I can give is test your blood sugar regularly, take note of your blood sugar before/during/after a work out, keep orange juice or honey in your house at all times (just in case), learn to listen to your body, and keep your family informed. They will be a good support system, and that may help with some of the food they cook when you come over. I hope you find this information useful.
  • angusmike
    Options
    I was diagnosed at the end of May with diabetes. My glucose level was 279. With exercise, diet and medication, I'm averaging within the 120's overall. My A1C is 8.9 but its still early and I think that I can improve this.

Bottom line, watch the diet, exercise and take your meds. This will require some life style changes, but you can do it. This time last year, I weighed 220 lbs. This morning I was 193.

You can cope with this. This web site is a perfect tool for managing your diet, weight, and exercise. You also have a large support group herein.

Best of luck!
  • 1BRIGHTCHICK
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement!
  • sdstargazer
    Options
    Hi bc,

Type 2 here. :) Joined this because I need to lose about 30lbs. I have heard some type 2's get off insulin w/exercise and weight loss. Good luck to both of us!
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    As a weird and slightly stupid note... messing with the medication in certain ways can make you lose weight...

Stupid to do so, very much but yea...

Anyway, good luck on your journeys, and be safe and healthy.

Sad thing is, I might be displaying some symptoms but because I am stubborn am not checking out as I got an ultra marathon I am running and if I am told not to, I will quite happily kill someone out of frustration because of all the training, blood, sweat and tears I have had to endure to get to ultra marathon running....
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    My son is a type 1 diabetic, since age 4. The bad news is that, if properly diagnosed, that you'll never go off insulin, no matter what you eat. Even worse, your insulin needs are going to go down, way down, in the remission phase (aka "honeymoon") and this is might make you think that the diagnosis was a mistake. The good news is you can eat what you want, and a healthy diet for a Type 1 is a diet healthy for a non-diabetic.

Learn everything you can. I highly recommend "Think Like A Pancreas" by Gary Scheiner. Read this intro -http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/type-1/diabetes-causes/think_like_a_pancreas

and get the book: http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Managing/dp/1569244367

You are not a type 2, so you have to ignore all the information out there about type 2.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Follow your doctors advice on food choices - especially carb levels. MFP is for everything else - counting calories, group support, etc.
  • brutalrage
    brutalrage Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have so far been lucky enough to dodge the diabetic bullet so far which is surprising with my family history. My mother is diabetic and my uncles both have become diabetic because of their obesity, it surprises both me and my doctor that I have yet to become it though it still a good possibility that I may get it if I don’t loose more weight.

I know it’s not easy and can be scary when first diagnosed with it but your taking the first step in monitoring what you eat and how much. Diet and exercise can go a lot way in controlling your disease. Hope for the best for you and welcome to the myfitness club.
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am not a diabetic, but it runs strong in my genes. I will never forget what my father went through with his. All I can say to you for encouragement is BE DILIGENT. Keep your numbers under control. It's totally understandable that you are scared, just remember to always manage your blood glucose levels.

All the best!
  • lovelessofme
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! This is a great place to be...diabetic or not.

I am a type 2 diabetic and for me my diagnosis was welcomed...I know it sounds odd... but let me explain.. I had been feeling tired, sluggish, no energy, etc.... Once I started with meds I started feeling better.

Then earlier this year I was put on insulin... my numbers were 400-500...way to high when they had been typically 80-150...I started here in March...and by April I was off my insulin (granted I was on 10 units, plus januvia and glipizide).

Now I now only in januvia... but I feel better than I have in a few years.

I am sure you are scheduled to see a nutrionist, and listen to what s/he says. Check your bloof sugars often and watch your carbs.

You can friend (and anyone else) me if you like and I wish you the best...

My highest A1C (3 month average) was 10.9 my current is 6.2.

You are not alone....we are with you.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your diagnosis, but I want to encourage you by telling you that a healthy life IS possible! I was diagnosed with type 1 five years ago this month. I weighed 198 pounds, hated the way I looked, had no energy to keep up with my four kids, and was terribly angry, depressed, and ashamed of my diagnosis. I spent about 4 months feeling sorry for myself and trying to learn how to eat and dose my insulin, after that I decided I had to try and change things. I started learning about diabetes and healthy eating and began working out in my garage, with a nordic track and a total gym. I began losing weight and started to feel a little bit better. People started noticing my weight loss and that encouraged me to keep going. I began doing the lean version of P90X and began getting stronger and leaner. One round of P90x led to another round, and then another. After that I began running. First a 5k, using the couch to 5k program, then a 10k, and finally a half marathon. Finally I was hooked. I kept running, lifting weights, using kettle bells, doing kickboxing...then swimming. This spring I completed a 39.3 series (3 half marathons in 4 weeks) and this summer I have done two sprint triathlons. I eat healthy, check my blood sugar, take my insulin, and I now weigh 141 pounds! I love the way I look and feel. It hasn't been easy, and losing weight while on insulin is a very slow process, but it can be done! Do your research, learn how to eat, and have your family eat that diet with you. When you want a treat/dessert, share it with someone and only have a couple of bites instead of the whole thing. When you get invited to someone's house for dinner, bring a long a side dish or salad that you know you can eat and enough to share with everyone else. Don't be afraid to let people know what you need and to seek help/support. Feel free to send me a friend request and let me know if I can answer any questions or be of any help. This site is a great tool and it makes it easier for me to count my carbs and determine my insulin dose with each meal. Good luck to you!
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have some close friends with Type 1 and I second the recommendation to read "Think Like a Pancreas"!.
  • Candano
    Candano Posts: 16
    Options
    I have been a Type 1 since the age of 11, so 26 years. Add me if you like.
  • jensedun
    jensedun Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My daughter is type 1 and I want to second everything this person said. Type 2 and type 1 are very very different, so the information that you get needs to be geared to type 1 and not type 2. The resources mentioned here are good ones. For simplified type 1 resources, check out the pink panther diabetes book. You can read it online at http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/centers/BarbaraDavis/OnlineBooks/books/Pages/UnderstandingDiabetes.aspx.
    You are not a type 2, so you have to ignore all the information out there about type 2.
    My son is a type 1 diabetic, since age 4. The bad news is that, if properly diagnosed, that you'll never go off insulin, no matter what you eat. Even worse, your insulin needs are going to go down, way down, in the remission phase (aka "honeymoon") and this is might make you think that the diagnosis was a mistake. The good news is you can eat what you want, and a healthy diet for a Type 1 is a diet healthy for a non-diabetic.

Learn everything you can. I highly recommend "Think Like A Pancreas" by Gary Scheiner. Read this intro -http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/type-1/diabetes-causes/think_like_a_pancreas

and get the book: http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Managing/dp/1569244367
  • bcnana
    bcnana Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks your very kind. Have been struggling so here goes again.