Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Whats the best one?

Is there one you can wear all day to constantly calculate your calories burned?

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too - and is there a decent one that doesn't require a chest strap?
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The ones that use the chest straps are the most accurate so if you want a HRM, i'm not sure it is viable to spend the money on one if you don't want to use a chest strap as the estimates would be quite a bit off. Traditional heart rate monitors only work during exercise though.

For constant calorie counting, a BodyBugg (which really isn't a Heart rate monitor) or similar would be your best option.
  • kurita3025
    Options
    There are several different heart rate monitors that don't use the chest strap. However, the ones with the chest strap are the most accurate. Here is an excellent article about how to choose a heart rate monitor:

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/heart-rate-monitor.html

There are also several different typs of monitors that can be used to help determine caloric burn. Fitbit, Bodybugg, and Nike+ Fuelband are the most popular of these since they all have apps and/or links to other sites such as this one.

Hope this helps and good luck! :-)
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft7 it's a strap kind. I love it. But I wouldn't wear it all day. I also have a Nike Fuel Band. I love it, I do,wear it all day. The fuel band is actually pretty accurate on The calorie burned. It's almost identical to my Polar when I hike! The Nike is just a motivator to keep you moving. If you care about what your heart rate is, then. Chest strap HRM is the only choice. The Bodybugg does not tell you your HR, nor does a fitbit or Nike Fuel. Bodybugg is supposed to be accurate on the calorie burn, but do want to wear a thing on your arm all the time?
  • eduardoschoen
    Options
    I have the Polar RS300X (uses a cheststrap). Once you have it programmed and set-up to your individual statistics it will calculate calories burned throughout the day.

Good luck with your weight loss goals! Happy HR monitoring! :)
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I wonder if I am doing something wrong with my HRM, mine does not have a chest strap it is worn like a watch, I see people that do Insanity and they say they burn at least 250-300 calories minimum, when mine only says like 125 calories burned and I am drenched I work out hard. I do HIIT intervals, jumping rope, MMA, lift heavy, so I give it all I got. I know different people will burn different amounts, but could there be that much big of a difference? Just curious

27-F
    5'3