Spouse Eating My Low Cal Food!

Options
I told my husband I was going to tell on him for this!

I buy "diet" food (i.e.- low calorie snacks that fit into my low calorie lifestyle), and he always wants to eat it!

His opinion is that we can afford to buy more so it shouldn't matter that he eats my rice cakes, or weight watchers items, or other things I buy as a treat for me, but it drives me INSANE!

I think it is because he can eat anything he wants (and by anything I mean we are talking about a man who eats a sleeve of Ritz with about a tablespoon of peanut butter on each as a snack), but he thinks he has to eat my low calorie treats!

Note: The vast majority of our food is fair game, we eat same meals, etc.

Would this drive you crazy?

Replies

• bbmkr3
    bbmkr3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    YES YES and YES it drives me NUTS! I have been trying to buy things for me as meals, snacks and as treats and it seems that everyone in my house enjoys them as well. I guess I shouldn't complain that the kids are eating the healthy stuff as opposed to junk but I then have to go out shopping again to get more because they seem to devour it!
  • Lizajane42
    Lizajane42 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    True that is better than them eating junk!

My husband even said he likes the taste of my fiber gummies supplement and would to have them too- not for the fiber boost, but because they taste good!

Silly man! :laugh:
  • recbutterfly
    Options
    God yes. My husband does this too without remorse. He's not on here either. But I am proud to say that he has lost 25 lbs since I started MFP 4 mos ago (whereas I have lost 18). We have changed the food purchasing/ out-to-eat dining habits. So I look at it this way--if he is making the lifestyle change without my nagging, less crap entering the house, I am more likely to succede. I remind him to add my stuff to the shopping list, or else he will pay dearly.:wink:
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    my kids do this! i buy them their own ice cream but they are too lazy to scoop it out for themselves and end up eating my skinny cows! wtf?? lol oh well. as long as they dont eat ALL of them and leave me none, its all good.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't bother me. I would just buy more if he liked it and cut out some of the junk on the budget.
    I don't like having food that is just mine
  • bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I get upset when I count out my chips or crackers, or weigh something and then someone wants a bite or TAKES something off my plate!! Ergh!!
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My husband ate all my Popcorners one time, and when I went to buy more the store no longer stocked them. Believe me, it was not pretty! :explode:
  • Lharley220
    Lharley220 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    HELLS YEAH! It beyond drives me insane. I am always like dude are you serious you really could eat the full fat, full sugar, full calorie crap that you always eat. I want to literally curse him out but then I say hey he just saved me the extra calories. May it stick to his bum with glee>..........but that still means less good for your stuff for me. They just want you have cause we make the stuff look good!:noway:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    My son does the same thing. Drives me nuts to buy 10 of something and only get 1 before they are gone. I now have a special drawer in the sideboard where I keep the things that should be just for me and my husband. We have a ton of other stuff my son can eat, so it's not like he will starve if he doesn't get my protein bars or gluten-free granola.
  • Lizajane42
    Options
    I think I should give my hubby the credit he deserves too- he is extremely supportive and tries to say all the right things. We truly don't keep a lot of junk in the house- I buy the crackers and peanut butter for him and the low cal stuff for me- that is really it. We only keep baked chips in the house if I plan to include them in a meal, we don't buy candy or ice cream...

So definitely kudos to him for going along with all of that!

Bridge- it also drives me batty if he wants a bite of my weighed out stuff! :tongue:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I get upset when I count out my chips or crackers, or weigh something and then someone wants a bite or TAKES something off my plate!! Ergh!!

I get the same thing! I measure out x number of grams of something, and heck no, you may not have any! Get your own! :-D
  • bbmkr3
    bbmkr3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

^This! I had one of my kids try to grab a piece of something I just counted out (as she sat there and watched me), I actually yelled at her to get her own if she wants it but leave mine alone lol!
  • Lharley220
    Lharley220 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No my kids eat all of mine first then eat theirs. They make sure that this is nothing for me...........gotta love them!
  • WarningBell
    Options
    I'm dealing with a limited budget (decreased salary for summer) and my mother eats the healthy/expensive food I buy myself.. then she has the nerve to complain that she doesn't like it. Drives me effin' NUTS! >:(
  • Jenn09870
    Jenn09870 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My husband and daughter eat 'my food'. My daughter eats more like I do anyways most of the time.
    Rather than making an issue out of it, I try to make sure we buy enough for everyone.

If my husband goes shopping and forgets something I wanted/needed/usually get, I go to the store and get it.

I understand if it's a money issue, mainly this sounds like it might be the inconvenience factor.

My yogurt isn't as low cal as his is, but mine tastes awesome. If he eats some, no biggie. I buy enough for me and my daughter mainly for the week, but if I ran out, he wouldn't care if I had some of his (even though it's gross). If I can, I just go get more.

I guess being more active than I used to be, a trip to the grocery store is not a crisis.
    And though I used to feel that way, I dont think i look at food as 'mine' any more.
    I might feel differently if I had multiple teenage boys that could devour all the groceries before you can finish unpacking them. Ive heard they can... :noway:
  • WarningBell
    Options

Story of my life! haha
  • Lizajane42
    Options

I understand if it's a money issue, mainly this sounds like it might be the inconvenience factor.

I don't think for me it is even the inconvenience- I go to the store frequently- I think it is the mental factor of knowing that I bought something low cal or high in fiber (or whatever other random macro I am trying to watch that week!), and then the man who can eat whatever he wants with no weight concerns, wants to eat my "special" items.

I am sure in the long run, it is no big deal, it just makes me a little crazy in the moment.