CHEAP sources of protein?

Options
bjdw1
bjdw1 Posts: 140 Member
Protein supplements are very expensive in NZ, and even eating cans of tuna is getting expensive. Got any suggestions for low fat lowish carbs sources of protein that are cheap??

Thanks.

Replies

• firedupfriend
    firedupfriend Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My FAVOURITE place in the whole world, with the best rugby team ever!!!!

I am in SA and I find the cheapest option here is Haddock (smoked hake)
    It has no fat, no carbs abd lots of protein.
    I am not a fish eater and I prefer chicken breast which is also awesome.
    Fat free greek yoghurt and cottage cheese.

Good luck
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    We got 6 frozen basa fillets (fish) for £3.99 in tesco!
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    bump
  • metre30
    metre30 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The main sources of protein I eat are egg whites, lean ground chicken or turkey, shrimp (cheap when bought frozen), white fish, and boneless, skinless, chicken thighs. I mostly buy all of my meats in the family packs and then portion them out into ziplocks and freeze them. I find shopping this way really keeps my grocery bill down.
  • Red7Basil
    Options
    What about TVP? Textured Vegetable Protein. It looks kinda like dried mushroom pieces and is flavorless. You can add your own flavoring or after re-hydrating it, mix it with ground meat to make your meat go farther. There are all sorts of recipes for this online. I can get it in bulk for under 5 bucks a pound where I live and a pound is a LOT because it isn't a heavy product.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    sometimes a whole chicken will be cheaper. shop sales.
    brine it, roast it. viola! cooked chicken for the whole week.

then use the carcass, make homemade stock, and then toss the leftover chicken and veg in there.
    low carb chicken soup. i do broccoli, zucchini, cabbage, a few carrots, celery, green beans. really whatever is in the fridge.
    oh, if you need some sort of 'pasta' in the soup you could try quinoa which has less carbs. or barley if you can't find it.

=]
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I still get the "good organic meat" but eat meat only a few times a week and otherwise it's eggs, Greek yoghurt, nuts, avocado and so on! All good sources without eating bargain chicken which is mass produced and injected with water and other fillers!! Just an idea!! Good luck everyone!!