Replies

• rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    youre_gonna_love_my_nuts_772.jpg
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I actually find nuts to sustain me for quite a while... but, if that's your opinion based on the fat content and calories, that's fine, however it doesn't change that they still have protein in them and they're not BAD for you. I agree that things such as lean chicken have more protein/less fat/less calories and will even concede that they're better if your goal is protein... But, as a personal preference I would rather get protein from things that naturally have it than to add protein powders and things of that nature. Maybe it's crazy and it might make no difference nutritionally but, I just feel like it's more "worthwhile" and wholesome or something.

It's the fat that makes them satiating.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Also... recent studies (a lot of which have been posted on MFP, do a search) have shown that most the fat and cals of nuts are not absorbed by the body... therefore tending to have less calories and fat than previously thought or even posted on the bag... just sayin' ...and I'm sticking to it.. because I love nuts. lol
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    According to my dietitian, you are right. Accordingly, nuts are to be used sparingly as "condiments" (nut butters) and "snacks," and are not to be relied upon as a primary source of anything.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I'd recommend eggs. Nuts are a better recommendation for people who need more fat and calories.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Nevermind. I can't read.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I usually recommend nuts to those that have trouble eating enough calories. But I agree i do not eat nuts for protein
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Nuts are good for the healthy fats and a natural source of vitamin E (as well as other vitamins and minerals such as zinc).
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Except for the part where the fat from nuts is healthy for you.
    Except for the fiber that a serving of nuts provides.
    Except where nuts are filling and prevent people like me from hitting the candy machine for a Twix bar some other such bad food. Except for the part where eating nuts has been shown to have a positive effect of cholesterol levels.
    Except for the part where nuts have been shown to have a beneficial effect on heart health.

With those slight exceptions, I agree with every word of the OP.

Except for the part where the OP didn't offer a better alternative? What gives? You're gonna go telling everyone nuts are a bogus source of protein, but not offer up your thoughts on what is better?
  • boonognog
    boonognog Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a very healthy alternative to any processed snack, with the added benefit of actually providing a more satiated feeling than any other snack food I know.

(I don't know anyone who actually is substituting their primary protein in a meal with nuts... that would be less than effective for long term sustenance.)

Plus they taste great!
  • dkweathington
    dkweathington Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I counts nuts as a fat
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I actually find nuts to sustain me for quite a while... but, if that's your opinion based on the fat content and calories, that's fine, however it doesn't change that they still have protein in them and they're not BAD for you. I agree that things such as lean chicken have more protein/less fat/less calories and will even concede that they're better if your goal is protein... But, as a personal preference I would rather get protein from things that naturally have it than to add protein powders and things of that nature. Maybe it's crazy and it might make no difference nutritionally but, I just feel like it's more "worthwhile" and wholesome or something.

^^^^^^^^^^This right here. Not only are nuts healthy, they are 10,00,000x better than the snack alternative many of us would choose. My weight loss got a great bump this year when someone recommended nuts to me. I don't even LIKE nuts, but I gave them a try. Before I'd need a snack to get me from 2pm to 5pm, and I'm looking for the candy bar. Know the big problem with a candy bar? It makes you want another candy bar. So I'd have 2 candy bars and if dinner wasn't hot, ready and in my face by 5-6pm I'd ravage the cabinets for more garbagey snacks.

Enter peanuts. Cheap, can sit right on the corner of my desk or in a drawer. No refrigeration or special packaging needed. No fork, spoon or plate needed. No microwave, water, or shaker cup that's gotta be washed later. One or two handfuls of nuts, and I don't even think about food for the next several hours.

Is lean chicken a better source of protein, why yes, it is, BUT has somebody been running around saying eat nuts instead of chicken breasts? Have I missed that meme?

Interesting. I'd recommend eggs. Nuts are a better recommendation for people who need more fat and calories.

I'm gonna try to keep a carton of raw fresh eggs on my desk at work for a week. Let you know next Friday afternoon how it goes.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    edited just because
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it has been said, but nuts provide healthy unsaturated fats (omega-3's & omega-6's). It just so happens that they also have a fair amount of protein. The fats in foods are not in direct correlation to the kind of fat that your body stores. Without dietary fats, the body presumes that it is starving and releases the hormones grehlin and cortisol. Grehlin generates the appetite and causes the constant feeling of hunger. Cortisol is a stress hormone designed to make the body perform more efficiently. Cortisol can be caused by other things, but dietary deficiencies is a common cause. Now, you are correct that there are better sources of protein, but that doesn't mean that nuts don't serve their purpose.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    It depends if your eating a balanced diet and need healthy fats. I tend to go with pumpkin seeds since they have a 1:1 ratio
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on nuts as a protein source but as a source of flavor and crunch in a healthy little package.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you feel like a nut...
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I eat nuts every day.
    They stop me from eating the things I usually would go or at either 11am or 3pm. They are crunchy and just enough to stop me munching.
    They are also a good way for me to value portion sizes.
    I'd rather those with all the stuff they come with than a packet of chips or something of the like.

Don't you poo poo on my nuts!
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    Except where nuts are filling and prevent people like me from hitting the candy machine for a Twix bar some other such bad food. Except for the part where eating nuts has been shown to have a positive effect of cholesterol levels.
    Except for the part where nuts have been shown to have a beneficial effect on heart health.

^^^ this

And for the record ... almonds are not nuts. They are a seed.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

I never said nuts were unhealthy
    I never said nuts didn't have fibre
    You finding them filling is purely anecdotal
    Again, so has omega 3 consumption, which most people lack

So your post kind of missed the point of my post, but other than that I agree with your every word

Satin that 'well it's better than eating a chocolate bar' sort of missed the point also. I am aware a nut is better than a mars bar, I'm not claiming otherwise.

Someone said that I didn't offer alternatives

Fats
    Eggs
    Salmon and fatty fish
    Avocado
    Coconut oil

Protein
    Any lean meat lamb, chicken beef etc
    Fish again
    Eggs again
    Protein powder

^^ I'm sure someone will call me out here for recommending a processed food over a whole food, however remember we are talking solely about sources of protein here
    To use a common example, whey is doubly processed in the sense that it’s not only a powdered form of milk protein, but it’s a separated fraction of milk protein. Yet, when combining the results of standard ranking methods (biological value, protein efficiency ratio, net protein utilization, and protein digestibility corrected amino acid score), whey has a higher total than all other proteins tested, including beef, egg, milk, and soy [5]. Furthermore, research has shown not only its benefits for training applications [6], but whey has a surprisingly wide range of potential for clinical applications as well [7-10]. Therefore, despite whey being a refined/processed food, it has multiple benefits and minimal downsides.

See article for references http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/