New to weights

I know how to use weight machines and properly lift free weights but I'm unsure as to how many reps and sets and what weight to use so that I Feel like I am doing something! Help greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Go for 5 sets of 5 reps, with steadily increasing weight. Your 5th set should be just barely doable. After a month of that, go for 5 sets of 8 reps with similar weight progression.

Low weight high reps are for bodybuilders, but a 3-5 x 8 will give you good strength gains with a little bit of hypertrophy.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Do some looking up on Strong lifts 5x5's .. go get some barbell action..girl! :) It's not just a man's world anymore..
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Do some looking up on Strong lifts 5x5's .. go get some barbell action..girl! :) It's not just a man's world anymore..

^This. I REALLY like the 5x5 format, but I'm in love with this quote. Probably going to steal it and use it as if it were my own brainsauce. :wink:
  • SLally
    SLally Posts: 33
    k awesome! thanks so much guys, will try this after the soreness from the spartan race wears off :)
  • Feisty_Red

^This. I REALLY like the 5x5 format, but I'm in love with this quote. Probably going to steal it and use it as if it were my own brainsauce. :wink:

Ooooow! Do I have a fellow 5x5er? I'm gonna add you! I need my lifter women with me on here ;)
  • Apocalypse_Meow
    Apocalypse_Meow Posts: 90 Member
    I'm trying to get started lifting, but the trainer at my gym is terrible! She's like freaking fitness barbie. "Um like just use the machines' NO I WANT TO LIFT HEAVY *****! sorry...I got excited. Do you ladies have any pointers on how to get started? I just ordered New Rules of Lifting for Women but ANY and all advice is so appreciated.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I'm trying to get started lifting, but the trainer at my gym is terrible! She's like freaking fitness barbie. "Um like just use the machines' NO I WANT TO LIFT HEAVY *****! sorry...I got excited. Do you ladies have any pointers on how to get started? I just ordered New Rules of Lifting for Women but ANY and all advice is so appreciated.

NROL is a great starting point. Is she the only trainer there?
  • Feisty_Red

New rules is a great start for a new lifter..It can get a bit confusing..and complicated...I started out on that..then I switched to strong lifts ..its more simple..I can do it in my sleep..and I have found I have more results in a short time with Strongs..verses New Rules...but EITHER is better than the standard..lets throw around some free 8 lbs weights and do some bicep curls...

Key with strong lifts is learning the correct form. It works with power racks and barbell training...no free weights..

I would watch youtube videos over and OVER and I would practice form with just a barbell(which fyi is 45lbs on its own) practice is key

Strong lifts has an app for free for ipod..ect.. I use it 3x week..

I advise going early am..or late at gym...men hog that area.. and especially if you are new...you dont want any eyes..if you know what I mean..

Oh..and maybe skip the barbie doll girl and ask a dude for help if you need :)

Msg me...either of you ladies..I'll help any way I can..I wish all women would lift! :) Its soo good for you!!!
  • Apocalypse_Meow
    Apocalypse_Meow Posts: 90 Member
    She is the only trainer. My gym is fairly busy too I so want to get started tho! I'll check out the stronglifts app :)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    I use the strong lifts app too, but I only fill it in when I'm done, wouldn't want the buff boys to think I'm texting or something ;)
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    What they all said! I have a Trainer who's been working we me now for 18 months (though only the last 6 months or so on some serious weights). I don't use any of the programs out there for lifting, but go by what my trainer suggests.

Feel free to FR me anyone who's into lifting and strength training for us gals! :bigsmile:

Us gals have gotta wipe those sh!teating grins off the boys faces! :tongue: lift and lift heavy!!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    I got NROL but found the structure of the workouts confusing. I've got darling of a trainer who pushes me hard but never beyond what I can manage- its me that underestimates my ability. I do 3 x 1 hour workouts a week which consists of 10 min warm up, stretches, squats 110 lbs, dead lift 110 lbs, chest press 33 lb dumb bells, lunges 22 lb dumbells 3 sets of 12 reps for each exercise, then I do abs, cool down and stretches. Its only been 2 months but am loving it! It's amazing how much you can sweat from lifting heavy stuff.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    General rep ranges;
    Strength: 4-6
    Hypertrophy: 8-12
    Endurance: 12+

The more weight you're moving, the more you're burning, so it pays dividends to invest time in strength.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    New Rules is great, but if you want simple and straight forward, Starting Strength is good as well. Its similar to Stronglifts but a 3X5 format instead of 5X5. It might be good to start with this then move to Stronglifts, and finally new rules for some variety.

Do it. you will NOT be sorry. And also lifitng "heavy" means challenging for you, not anyone else.

best of luck

Jules:flowerforyou:
  • SLally
    SLally Posts: 33
    All great advice! Thanks again!