Does anybody do Kickboxing??

Options
Tonight will be my first kickboxing lesson which i am really excited about. I decided to log it early so i wouldn't forget and it told me i would burn 1104 calories in 90 minutes. 1104 calories seems a lot for 90 minutes and now I'm worried that tonight is going to kill me!

Does anybody do kickboxing or has done it before? And is it really as good as it sounds for weight loss!?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Can I add you? I want to start kickboxing and would love to hear back about how you got on...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine, but the entry you used must be for people actually kickboxing. If you were actually kickboxing in your first lesson, it wouldn't be for long.
  • Louttie
    Louttie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Just added you miss_dannii ! :)
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb is for every 10 mins of INTENSE cardio, you burn 100 calories, so that calorie count does seem high. Since it is your first class, you will need to stop and watch what the instructor is doing, so you will probably burn even less. It is also just like any other form of exercise, do what you can and modify it for your fitness level.

That being said, I do kickboxing and have for years. I love it!
  • Sampadan
    Sampadan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing is a fantastic exercise ! I do kickboxing and Wing Chun Kung Fu - I enjoy both as much as eachother, but Kickboxing provides a brilliant workout, shreds fat and gives you confidence!

You go and enjoy your first session and I DARE you not to get addicted......

Let us know how it goes and GOOD LUCK :)
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Have fun! I do taekwondo. There is a martial arts group here if you want to join.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I do muay thai. It's good for weight loss if coupled with the right diet.

The kickboxing in the database here I don't think is very accurate. Most classes have a lot of easy warmup, calisthenics, etc.

So if you split it up for like 30 minutes aerobics, 10 minutes calisthenics, 20 minutes kickboxing-- probalby more accurate.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I teach and train in muay Thai, along with other forms of fighting. The amount you'll burn depends on the intensity of the class. I've had instructors that teach a 60 min class of non-stop brutal pace. Others may have more technical focus.

Just use your head when entering. And enjoy!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing is a ton of fun and a great workout. MFP tends to overestimate the calorie burn. Personally, I burn about 600 calories an hour when doing intense training with limited breaks. That's not counting blood loss from sparring. ;)

I train in muay thai about 2-3 days a week, feel free to add me if you are looking for friends.

Good luck!
  • cehinton
    Options
    kickboxing is really great for weight loss. Not only are you getting your cardio exercise in, but when you're impacting that big heavy bag, a LOT of muscle mass is put into play which really burns fat and cranks up your metabolism. A guy at my gym lost 40 lbs in a few months, and others have done similarly.
    However, we did have an instructor or two with a belly, but it just goes to show, you can actually be "in shape" even when you're "shape" is a bit round....
    No worries, just kickbox. The results will find you.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    kickboxing? so you get to kick and punch things?
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I do and love it! Its the best Im totally addicted, I go to the gym and do it there with a trainer I do at home, shadow box and do the kick boxing on fitness evolved cadio boxing. Its great fun, I never knew Id love hitting things but I do! You will have to build up to it, I also go to the YMCA and do it, with the coppers there great. Its a great work out all the squats and leg kicks really define your legs and abs and arms, so its a total body workout. :) Enjoy add me if you like xxx you will get addicted lol
  • Andrew2Smith
    Options
    I am Andrew Smith form Gold Coast. I am a kickboxer. My school is Final Contact Muay Thai Kickboxing Personal Training Gold Coast
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Depends how much cardio is in the workout & how much time is spent being inactive (Watching the demonstration, resting, breaks, etc). I've been to kickboxing at 2 different places. In one I was sweating, breathing hard, heart racing almost the whole time. In the other, not a drop of sweat or a gasp of air.

The first place had us jog in between quick push-ups, triangle push-ups, clap push-ups, sit-ups, hip raise, toe tuch, leg lifts, scissor kicks, etc. Then we'd do lunges, side lunges, hand walk, front kick, push kicks across the room & back. Then the last half hour was doing punch-kick-knee-elbow combinations with a partner holding targets, then switch turns. Then the last 5mins was burpees, jumping jacks, jumping squats, KB swing, russian twist -OR- we'd do sprints & "squares."

The second place started late, did easy stretches, had an easy obstacle course (Climbing under a bench or hopping over 1 tire) & then punch-kick combinations. No warm up, jogging, push-ups or half the stuff the first place had.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I do! I love it. I have found that the kickboxing estimate on MFP is very high, though. I usually log about 3/4 of my time, and I don't eat back all of my calories. Seems to work for me!
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Have fun! I do taekwondo. There is a martial arts group here if you want to join.

I do TKD as well

Here is the link for that group......

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/301-martial-arts-and-sport-fighting
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the Kick Boxking! I do Tae Kwon Do, tho I did look at doing Kickboxking when I had to take a break from TKD.
  • Nmorfitt
    Nmorfitt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to my kickboxing class!!! 5 weeks down at 3 inches off my waist!!!