Going slightly over calories

Options
When you are over calories for the day, by 15-20 or so calories, do you worry about it? Do you adjust for it the next day, or do you not really worry about? I figure since i was under on yesterday's calories it all evens out, but I hate seeing those red numbers at the end of the day.

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it....everything is an approximation anyway. Carry on....
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I hate seeing them as well but don't stress. As long as you're not way over on unhealthy fats, sugars and sodium then don't stress that small amount of calories! I don't tend to adjust the next day, I just make a promise to myself to do better. Some days your body NEEDS more though, so it's good to listen to your body and respond with healthy foods. Good luck!
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm betting your deficit from TDEE is greater than 15-20 calories so. No.
  • EK2828
    EK2828 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I figure my calories are more of a range... I try to stay close to goal, but some days I'm over and some I'm under. As long as I'm not consistently over or seeing numbers that are very significantly far from goal (either way) I figure it's okay. It's worked for me so far. :)
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I figure my calories are more of a range... I try to stay close to goal, but some days I'm over and some I'm under. As long as I'm not consistently over or seeing numbers that are very significantly far from goal (either way) I figure it's okay. It's worked for me so far. :)

Beautiful baby!
  • Spanntastic12
    Options
    I try not to sweat it. Long as I am within the range. Besides your settings are built to have you lose weight anytime you are exact in your calories so with a 15 to 20 overage on a day it's not really going to have that much affect (make you gain or anything).
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    ??????? Jump up and down a few times they're gone. Sweating the small stuff leads to defeatist thinking and behavior.
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Considering your limit is inclusive of a deficit of atleast 500ish~ going over by even 100 won't make bugger all of a difference.

Don't even worry about it =]
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If I'm within 100 calories of my goal, over or under, I consider that a win.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Everything on here is an estimate. There's no way you are burning exactly 1XXX calories every day, so to say you're over by 10-15 isn't going to make a lick of difference. Even your exercise calories burned when using a heart rate monitor is just an estimate.

Don't worry about it, and just try to keep your weekly intake near what MFP tells you to and you'll be fine.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    It's no big deal to go over. It' is not 100% accurate anyway. Just use it as a guide to help you make healthy food choices and to stay in a healthy range. It's nothing to get uptight about.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    When you are over calories for the day, by 15-20 or so calories, do you worry about it? Do you adjust for it the next day, or do you not really worry about? I figure since i was under on yesterday's calories it all evens out, but I hate seeing those red numbers at the end of the day.
    If you set your calorie goal via MFP they already give you a large deficit. You could likely go over more then 500 cals and not gain any fat. My body tends to be smarter then mfp numbers. If my body feels like it needs calories the next day I eat them. If I don't I don't. I don't worry about it.
  • EK2828
    EK2828 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Beautiful baby!

Thanks! Need to update the picture... she's two now and I have another! :)
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    20 calories over? No way do I worry about that. It would still be under the calories I burn during a day. 100 calories over wouldn't be a stress either.
    It's important to not get too obsessive and hysterical about these things as well, that makes a lifestyle change so much harder. And stress is in no way good for the body.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Considering the whole 'create a 3500 weekly calorie deficit to lost 1lb of body fat' is so ludicrous and not based on any kind of solid science I would not (and do not) care about a few hundred 'extra' calories here and there as long as I am eating whole, natural, unprocessed food.

I am, in fact, deliberately eating more right now just to prove this thing wrong.

Check out Zoe Harcombe's website (and free book) for why this prevailing strict calorie deficit idea is so flawed.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    yesterday I was over by 100 or so cals but it didnt bother me for a few reasons. 1) I did all the workouts I wanted to this week. 2) it was my rest day and thought I did well only going 100 over 3) Im usually under 98% of the time

Your body cant go on a steady 1300 (or whatever your number is) Ive read on this site that having a few over days actually helps with the loss because your body isnt "expecting" it so shocks it a bit!