Absolutely ridiculous...

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Here's another thing to take in to consideration. I used to spend a LOT OF TIME on these forums, answering questions, providing links to medical studies, discussing the pro's and con's of this or that program or diet...etc. People however...usually don't want to hear the truth. If the answer I gave, wasn't what they wanted to hear...they often became offended. Arguments ensued, and I simply don't hold punches when it comes to stupidity, purposeful narrowmindedness, or flat out ignorance. This gets me strikes. Three strikes and a person is banned from the forums completely.

I have two, and have had two overturned.

So, in order to continue interacting with the people I CARE about in the forum threads that MATTER TO THEM...I limit my discussions on this board to the bare minimum necessary.

Thank you local moderators for that, and the self righteous, self centered people that have to cry at every little thing anyone else does that passes the slightest breeze across them to ruffle their feathers.

Have a nice day!

:flowerforyou:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    MFP set my daily calorie intake at 1200.

But mfp isn't god, and you can always adjust it... :-)

Also, MFP will have done this based on what you put in. If you've asked to lose 2lb a week, and set your lifestyle as sedentary, chances are you'll get a very low intake. For most people, this is unrealistically low.

MFP isn't GOD?????!!!!!!! Well that sure throws my Sunday worship time for a loop. Sheesh, no wonder my prayers haven't been answered.

MFP may well be god...but the devil is in the details. :wink:
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    I know the 1200 calories a day just were not cutting it for me. I would eat 1200 calories and then turn around and burn between 700-800 calories doing insanity, which left me with a very, very small net intake, and very hungry the next day. It wasn't until I learned about TDEE that I increased my calories, and now I'm feeling just fine. My diary is open I do believe so anyone can look at it, although ignore Sunday's because I use Sunday's as my cheat days, and it's not exactly perfect lol.

I can see basing my macros and micros on like a 40% 30% 30% or whatever, but since everyone is different, how do I know I am taking in enough fat, fiber, and whatnot? Everyone is different I understand this, but is there a link or research done that says the bare minimum required, not that I want to eat bare minimum, but so I can get an idea of what being in the middle of the requirements would be.

I'm only looking to lose 30lbs, so I don't need a drastic weight loss amount, although I am considered obese.

As far as my questions being long winded....I do apologize, I guess I have a problem with wording my questions. I like to be very specific and thorough when I do ask a question, that way I am not left having to explain myself later on in the post.
  • drwgal
    Options
    Here's another thing to take in to consideration. I used to spend a LOT OF TIME on these forums, answering questions, providing links to medical studies, discussing the pro's and con's of this or that program or diet...etc. People however...usually don't want to hear the truth. If the answer I gave, wasn't what they wanted to hear...they often became offended. Arguments ensued, and I simply don't hold punches when it comes to stupidity, purposeful narrowmindedness, or flat out ignorance. This gets me strikes. Three strikes and a person is banned from the forums completely.

So, in order to continue interacting with the people I CARE about in the forum threads that MATTER TO THEM...I limit my discussions on this board to the bare minimum necessary.

Thank you local moderators for that, and the self righteous, self centered people that have to cry at every little thing anyone else does that passes the slightest breeze across them to ruffle their feathers.

Have a nice day!

I have had the same issue here in a past post.....I had gotten bashed pretty heavily for being honest. It doesn't bother me though, it's who I am and I'm not changing for people I don't know :wink: I also always hear about confidence behind a computer screen....but yet, I am the same person when face to face. But that's an entirely different topic lol
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I know the 1200 calories a day just were not cutting it for me. I would eat 1200 calories and then turn around and burn between 700-800 calories doing insanity, which left me with a very, very small net intake, and very hungry the next day. It wasn't until I learned about TDEE that I increased my calories, and now I'm feeling just fine. My diary is open I do believe so anyone can look at it, although ignore Sunday's because I use Sunday's as my cheat days, and it's not exactly perfect lol.

I can see basing my macros and micros on like a 40% 30% 30% or whatever, but since everyone is different, how do I know I am taking in enough fat, fiber, and whatnot? Everyone is different I understand this, but is there a link or research done that says the bare minimum required, not that I want to eat bare minimum, but so I can get an idea of what being in the middle of the requirements would be.

I'm only looking to lose 30lbs, so I don't need a drastic weight loss amount, although I am considered obese.

As far as my questions being long winded....I do apologize, I guess I have a problem with wording my questions. I like to be very specific and thorough when I do ask a question, that way I am not left having to explain myself later on in the post.
    Try this method- eat 1 gram of protein minimum per pound of lean body mass, and 0.35 grams of fat per pound of body mass. The rest of the calories can be filled however you like- most people don't have any issue with carbs being too low, so you don't need to worry about meeting a minimum.
    As for fiber- a minimum of 25 grams is probably a good target. Generally more is better, unless you have some sort of extreme fiber diet where it can block the absorption of some nutrients. You'll get some serious gastric distress before you get to that point though.

The bare minimum for the individual nutrients are the 1200 calorie recommendations-in fact, that's how the 1200 cal number was established in the first place. I will go dig up some some basic nutrition information explaining RDAs and whatnot to clarify and re-post.
  • drwgal
    Options
    I am curious. This is a question for the people who are advised to follow 1200 calories diet by a physician. Did the physician give you a menu to follow or specific guidelines to follow? Do you need to take vitamins b.c of low caloric intake?

My doctor didn't give me anything. He checked my thyroid even though I know my weight issues were brought on by my own doing. He also checked my cholesterol, checked me for diabetes, routine physical, and I mentioned doing insanity, and he ran a stress test to make sure my heart wouldn't give me issues. I'm young, I will be 28 in Sept. But after living on your butt for 10yrs and consuming everything in sight, hard exercise can put a burden on your cardiovascular system. I do take a daily vitamin pack, just to ensure I get everything I need, in case I don't get it from my food.

Oh he did mention no more red meat as eating red meat will cause me to gain weight, even if eaten in small quantities, which I believe is false. There are lean red meats out there. I think he had me on the atkins diet.....I had a very hard time with the low carbs. I have not been back to my doctor for any of my nutritional needs since, but I have been in the search of a nutritionist in my area.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Have a nice day!

I have had the same issue here in a past post.....I had gotten bashed pretty heavily for being honest. It doesn't bother me though, it's who I am and I'm not changing for people I don't know :wink: I also always hear about confidence behind a computer screen....but yet, I am the same person when face to face. But that's an entirely different topic lol

Exactly...I'm the same person at work, at home, online, or off. I'm not changing who I am for the 'new rules' being enforced around MFP. And so I limit my replies, so as to be able to respond to the ones my friends find important.
  • drwgal
    Options

why you making it so complicated?? Just eat what MFP tells you and call it a day.

You want to find out your ratios?? Here's is part of an article i wrote to calculate macro nutrients. This is for muscle building so it says to add 10%. replace that with "subtract 15%" for fat loss.
    Search online for the “Katch-McCardle formula”. To use this formula you must know your body fat %. Keep in mind this is just an estimate. An estimate of how many calories you need, your LBM(Lean body mass) and your fat mass. You have to experiment and be patient if this number isn’t working for you. It’s a starting point.

Add 10% to what the Katch-McCardle told you. You will need to eat above how many calories you need to currently maintain your weight. You can’t build muscle with air, you need food. For example if the formula told you 2,000 calories, multiple 2,000 by 1.10. 2000 * 1.10 = 2,200 calories to consume.
    4. Calculate protein requirements.

If the calculator you used gave you a number such as 15% bodyfat, you must figure out how much muscle mass you have. If 15% of your body is fat, Subtract your body fat % from 100%. This will give you percentage of LBM. . 1.00(remember % are decimals) – .15 = .85. 85% of your weight is LBM. So now you know your LBM multiply your weight by this number. Assuming you weigh 180lbs 180 * .85 = 153lbs of LBM. People should add 1,0 – 1.5 grams of protein per LBM for muscle building. It’s best to be on the safe and shoot for 1.5g. So multiply your LBM by 1.5. This will tell you how many grams of protein to eat. 153 * 1.5 = 230g of protein.
    1. Calculate fat requirements.

This is easy, multiply your total weight by .40. In our above example 180 * .40 = 72 grams of fat to consume.
    2. Calculate carb requirements.

Multiple your fat grams by 9, and your protein calories by 4. There are 9 calories per grams of fat and 4 calories per grams of protein.

230 * 4 = 920 calories of protein.

72 * 9 = 648 calories of fat.

Now you add these 2 numbers up 920 + 648 = 1,568 calories of protein and fat.

Remember the calculator? it told you how many calories you need. Subtract 1568 from that number. 2,200 – 1,568 = 632 calories of carbs.

What you have now is:

Carbs = 632 calories.

Protein = 920 grams

Fat = 648 calories.

Total = 2,200.

If you’re counting macro nutrients. Divide carbs and protein by 4, and fat by 9. This is will tell you how many grams of each you should consume.

Once you do this, you get the calories of macro nutrients and divide by total calories * 100 which will give you a %.
    This will result in:

(632/2200) * 100 = 28.72% carbs
    (920/2200) * 100 = 41.81% protein
    (648/2200) * 100 = 29.45% fat

Total percentage is 99.98%. It's not exact due to rounding off to the second decimal place.

I'm a woman, I make everything complicated :happy:
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I only joined MFP because I was looking for an online, easy way to keep track of my food intake and exercise. The forums and all are extra! I enjoy reading some of the posts and replying at times, but it's not the reason I joined. I do my nutritional/health research elsewhere. We all have different temperaments, chemical makeups, learning styles, etc. so there will be many differing opinions that will work for some folks and not for others. No worries! Take what makes sense to you and leave the rest.

All the best to you and your journey!
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    You post something STUPID, you get a lot of responses.. that is how the internet works. You add FRIENDS so you can get questions answered. Or go do research..
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I totally left out my question didn't I? Sorry, I'm running off of mommy brain today.

I don't understand my Micro and Macros. I sort of know what they are, but as far as judging how much I should eat compared to how many calories I take in every day is just confusing. I know my TDEE and my BMR, but don't know if the calories I should consume are my net calories or my goal calories? I consume between 1500-1800 calories, varied because I'm a full time mom of 5 children. But I only net between 900 and 1200 calories, even though I reach the amount on the goal side of it.

Your net should be your goal. Don't worry about that BMR stuff. Weight loss has been done for decades without adding the confusion of the BMR. Your BMR goes down as you lose weight. So it really doesn't matter. Another issue on the forums is people ramble and argue about stupid stuff, such as 1,200 calories a day without even answering the question.

Yes, but how should the net be established?

Ironically, I don't think you actually answered the question. :-)

I think you're slightly confused about net. There is nothing to "establish" net is a "reflection" of the energy you consumed. Lets say your goal is 2000 calories(yes i know big numbers for an easy example). You have eaten 1000 already. Then you go and exercise and burn 500 calories(if you log it) it will say you net is 500.

Net = total calories - exercise calories.

So you get to eat 2,500 calories because you already burn 500. 2,500 - 500 = 2000(your goal).

Lets say the next day you don't exercise. You also eat 1,000 calories. Your net will be 1000 calories.

I get that you're trying to be helpful here, so am going to rein my response in a bit.... Suffice it to say, trust me, I'm not confused.

My point was that 'net' is not an absolute. It's dependent on other figures inputted, and is in that sense defined or 'set' by other information. You have to 'worry' about a BMR (or some other marker) to derive the figures that give you your 'net'.

I do hope that's clearer for you.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I only joined MFP because I was looking for an online, easy way to keep track of my food intake and exercise. The forums and all are extra! I enjoy reading some of the posts and replying at times, but it's not the reason I joined. I do my nutritional/health research elsewhere. We all have different temperaments, chemical makeups, learning styles, etc. so there will be many differing opinions that will work for some folks and not for others. No worries! Take what makes sense to you and leave the rest.

All the best to you and your journey!

Using MFP for research or to garner accurate information is like using wikipedia to do the same.
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am curious. This is a question for the people who are advised to follow 1200 calories diet by a physician. Did the physician give you a menu to follow or specific guidelines to follow? Do you need to take vitamins b.c of low caloric intake?

My doctor didn't give me anything. He checked my thyroid even though I know my weight issues were brought on by my own doing. He also checked my cholesterol, checked me for diabetes, routine physical, and I mentioned doing insanity, and he ran a stress test to make sure my heart wouldn't give me issues. I'm young, I will be 28 in Sept. But after living on your butt for 10yrs and consuming everything in sight, hard exercise can put a burden on your cardiovascular system. I do take a daily vitamin pack, just to ensure I get everything I need, in case I don't get it from my food.

Oh he did mention no more red meat as eating red meat will cause me to gain weight, even if eaten in small quantities, which I believe is false. There are lean red meats out there. I think he had me on the atkins diet.....I had a very hard time with the low carbs. I have not been back to my doctor for any of my nutritional needs since, but I have been in the search of a nutritionist in my area.

Very good idea. You should definitely see a dietitian or nutritionist. Physicians get very little training on nutrition and your doc is giving you questionable advice. He basically did what he was trained to do: check your labs, physical exam etc. If you want advice about food, go to an expert on food. Same applies with using MFP forums for advice. While some of the info here may be helpful, you're going to want to seek additional sources for your nutrition advice.
  • r5wr
    r5wr Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I feel.the same way! Maybe also.try posting them as status so us friends can see them earlier my time zone seems to be different then most.of my friends on here so.I.don't see stuff lol. I'm going.to.try and look up your forums to.see if I can help.
  • CozZaretta
    Options
    Macronutrients are the big boys of diet. They are where you get your energy. Macronutrients are Carbohydrates, Protein, and Fat.

Carbohydrates are your primary source of fuel (particularly for the brain). You get 4 calories for every gram of carbohydrates you eat. The USDA recommends 45-60% of your calories should come from carbohydrates. For a 1200 calorie diet that breaks down to roughly 540 - 780 calories or 135 - 195 grams of carbs.

Protein is the building block of your body. It is used to repair muscle damage/loss, helps your immune and hormone system function properly, and a host of other things. It also acts as a secondary source of fuel if carbohydrates are unavailable. There are 4 calories for each gram of protein (just like carbs). USDA recommends 10-35% of your diet should be protein. That ends up being 120-420 calories or 30-105 grams for your diet.

Lastly, Fat contains a huge 9 calories per gram. Fat aids in grown/development, helps you absorb certain vitamins (A, D, E., and K), and help maintain your cells. It is also a secondary fuel source. USDA recommends 20-35% of your diet consist of fat. That is 240 - 420 calories or 60-105 grams.

Micronutrients are all the vitamins, and electrolytes that you need to function (sodium, calcium, potassium, etc). There are recommended levels of those as well, and if you eat a varied diet you should be able to target them all.

Most people can build a healthy diet within these guidelines. If you have specific health conditions you should sit down with your doctor or a registered dietician before starting. There are many popular diet that tell you to severely restrict one macronutrient (like carbs or fat). They might have success stories, but I would be very careful. Your body is designed to run best on all three, you can adjust within the parameters to be healthy and satisfied. Personally, I have increased my protein and decreased my carbs, (pre-diabetic here) but still stay within the suggested guidelines.

I hope this helps. For something more specific you can look up the USDA webpage they have tons of nutrition information.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Would you like some cheese with that whine ;)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    1200 isnt healthy thats why. you should look into BMR's and why it's important to always eat atleast your BMR.

Yes it is. Is there an MD after your name? 1200 is perfectly healthy for a women, especially a shorter woman to intake on a regular basis.

And I still don't know what the question is.
  • drwgal
    Options
    Would you like some cheese with that whine ;)

I'm lactose....so I'd rather have some nutella or something ;)
  • drwgal
    Options
    1200 isnt healthy thats why. you should look into BMR's and why it's important to always eat atleast your BMR.

Yes it is. Is there an MD after your name? 1200 is perfectly healthy for a women, especially a shorter woman to intake on a regular basis.

And I still don't know what the question is.

You must not have read all my replies then, I was asking the difference between macros and micros. I understand that 1200 calories may be healthy for some women, but after trying it for roughly 30 days, It just was not working. It made so sense to starve myself all day every day, and wake up with absolutely no energy to do anything.

Now to everyone else since I can't quote or figure out how to quote everyone else- I really appreciate all those who have came here and offered me great advice. I do plan on seeing a nutritionist next week, so I won't be bothering with nutritional/health questions on a nutritional and health forum lol, But that doesn't mean I won't participate in the hottest guy on MFP either.

To all the crank *kitten* who replied....go eat something!!!! :tongue: You get a lot further in life with sugar than you would with vinegar! On a serious note, cranky or not, and regardless of what type of advice you gave, thanks for stopping by and posting nonetheless.

Now, I'm going to go eat some breakfast, and go workout!!!

Thanks everyone!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Everything you ever needed to know, and then some, about fat loss, muscle gain, dieting, and exercise can be found here:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/articles

It is as good of a starting point as there is for the information starved.