Cereal at night

Options
One of my fav parts of being an adult has always been able to eat cereal before bed at night. This is one of the first things I am trying to cut out. Capn Crunch..Applejacks, Frosted Flakes all beckon me after dinner.

How to resist!? Anyone else have this problem? My GF recommends eating carrots but I'd literally rather eat nothing at all. Think I just need to improve willpower/temperence/fortitude, but damn... I really miss me some Applejacks right now.

Replies

• seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,307
    Options
    If you have calories left over, then why not?....
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If you have calories left over, then why not?....
    i agree. maybe try unsweetened almond milk with it. it cuts the calorie wayyyy down
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I agree, if you won't go over your goal I don't see why not. This is why I love cereals like Cheerios, 1g of sugar opens so many possibilities.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm a fiber one girl with sliced strawberries on top for an added touch of sweetness. Not too many cals at all!
  • scowil03xx
    scowil03xx Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I too had a terrible cereal habit. I started by still enjoying cereal but just watching portions and type of cereal (healthier vs. less healthy). Then I started not allowing myself to eat after 2000 (8pm) with the exception of a casein protein shake and piece of fruit. So far it has worked for me. I have been able to kick the habit.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    If you love your nightly cereal, have it! If you have room in your calories, then enjoy it. You can't stop eating everything you enjoy or you won't be able to stick with your new eating plan.
  • Meliechandler
    Options
    I am a cerealaholic!!! I don't think that I couldn't have a bowl of cereal before bed...my secret is to make sure that I leave myself enough calories for the end of my day so that 1. I can enjoy a bowl of cereal guilt free at the end of the day and 2. stay under my calorie goal :) Good luck!
  • milkyskinn
    milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just like many others here I deliberately save cal space for cereal or some oats w/yoghurt at the end of the day. :) Just make sure they're not too sweet and adding things like almond milk or non-fat yoghurt are probably better choices than regular milk.

If I'd go on any type of crazy one-food diet, I'd eat cereal/muesli all day. If it fits in your daily cals, treat yourself!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i miss cereal, but it is way too carby for me to have right now.

occasionally i'll steal some kix or special k from my kids. mmm yum.
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Argh, late night cereal. I can never stop at one bowl.

I never even ate it before dieting/cal counting but now it's like the ultimate craving.

I think lots of calorie-counters are cerealoholics...wonder why? Something about the depravation that makes you crave that crunch/carb?
  • RunningWithoutAWatch
    Options
    Adjust your schedule. Sometimes I eat cereal and milk for dinner when I am craving it. Just don't eat a full dinner and then a bowl of cereal and milk. What kind of cereal do you eat? I use honey nut cheerios mixed with my homemade granola.

Jay

Recipe for my granola:

http://www.runningwithoutawatch.com/2012/07/homemade-granola.html
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I eat cereal every night. I stay within my calorie goal so I don't think it's a problem.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Fit the cereal into your calories/macros for the day.
    Keep losing weight while eating cereal.
    Profit.

I eat ice cream about 5 nights/week. Right before bed. Big bowls of it. Never seen the insulin fairy.

EDIT: Inb4 grainophobes.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't care what time it is! As long as it fits there's no problem. I don't eat breakfast most of the time, so if I have calories left at the end of the day I'll have my cereal (oatmeal) before bed.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Brush and floss after dinner, and go to bed a littler earlier.

I know exactly what you're feeling. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Get your measuring cups out and allow yourself one serving. Plan your daily calorie goal so that you have enough calories left at the end of the day. Problem solved. =)
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    I sometimes eat it for dinner, since I crave it every now and then! Also, it's good as a snack after a workout if you have the calories for it! If you have a cup of cereal and a cup of skim milk, it's really not that many calories!
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    Dude... cereal at night is the greatest.

You can honestly eat what ever you want whenever you want to as long as you stay within your calories for the day.

Timing really only has an effect if you are distance running or find that you are running out of energy at certain points through the day.

I recomend eating when you are hungry and eating what makes you happy.

You will find that this change of life will be much easier if you don't stress it too much.