Zumba

Options
Does anyone take Zumba classes?

Replies

• waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    YES! I LOVE ZUMBA!
    But then, I love latin/africano/carribean music. I met my husband salsa dancing, and now we have 2 salsero children.

Have you been taking classes? Or are you interested in finding out more info?
  • HeidiRodzen
    HeidiRodzen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I go to zumba 3 times a week. LOVE IT!
  • Citygirlx210
    Citygirlx210 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you wear special shoes for Zumba? Our local YMCA just started having classes recently, and it looks like fun.....but have heard that tennis shoes sometimes stick to the floor
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it once a week. It's an hour class and Im jsut curious as to how many calories I'm burning.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I did and LOVED it!!!! Then our zumba instrcutor got fired and they haven't gotten a new one :cry: So, now I take jazzercise :laugh:
  • kandyjo
    Options
    Do you wear special shoes for Zumba? Our local YMCA just started having classes recently, and it looks like fun.....but have heard that tennis shoes sometimes stick to the floor

Everyone in our class always were tennis shoes, but they do stick to the floor :laugh: Especially on the fun little turns...
  • kandyjo
    Options
    I go to zumba 3 times a week. LOVE IT!

I"m so freakin' jealous..... I MISS ZUMBA!!!! :sad:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it once a week. It's an hour class and Im jsut curious as to how many calories I'm burning.

Invest in a good HRM. There simply isn't a better substitution!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    Yah I just wear regular sneakers but I feel like it would be easier(and maybe look a little sexier lol) if you wore ballet type slippers or something.
  • hollyj77
    Options
    You can look it up and find that you burn 300-700 calories per 60 minutes. I think it depends on how hard you push yourself. You can definitely sweat and get your heart pumpin'! I love it too!
  • kandyjo
    Options
    Yah I just wear regular sneakers but I feel like it would be easier(and maybe look a little sexier lol) if you wore ballet type slippers or something.

The only probably with that is it would probably kill my feet... I like the support tennies offer :happy:
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    This thread makes me think about "woomba" http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/clips/woomba/229062/

Sorry, off topic. But funny, so I thought I'd share. :)
  • suezkue
    suezkue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I take a 45 min class of Zumba (fun, fun, fun). Its hard to determine the calories for you because everyone works out at their own pace. I suggest using a HRM, that is what I did to figure mine out. I do the high impact and I lose about 500 calories.
  • kandyjo
    Options
    This thread makes me think about "woomba" http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/clips/woomba/229062/

Sorry, off topic. But funny, so I thought I'd share. :)

ROFL!!!!!! :laugh:
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    I take a 45 min class of Zumba (fun, fun, fun). Its hard to determine the calories for you because everyone works out at their own pace. I suggest using a HRM, that is what I did to figure mine out. I do the high impact and I lose about 500 calories.

whats HRM?
  • kandyjo
    Options

whats HRM?

heart rate monitor
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I just wear my regular cross-training/running shoes. But I've seen some people wear ballroom sneakers.
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    I'm a zumba instructor :) It's given me my life back due to weight loss. I hear a lot of stories with similar themes. :)
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    I was monitored when I was teaching and I burn on the average, 700 calories per session.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi Zumba Lovers! I am a Zumba Instructor in San Antonio. My sister is also an instructor in Bluffton SC.

Your calorie burn will vary depending on your fitness level, intensity, age, etc. You can definitely burn from 350 to 800 cals in 1 hr of Zumba. For a more accurate number of calories burned, it is best to wear a heart rate monitor (HRM).

As far as shoes are concerned, it is best to wear shoes with little or no traction. They dont have to be dancing shoes. They could be court shoes, cheerleading shoes, some circuit trng shoes or again any other shoe that has little traction. Nike and other brands have some good ones. It will make it easier to turn, twist, pivot, etc.

Zumba Love!!!:flowerforyou: