How to motivate my partner?

Options
I've been with my partner for 5 years now and during that time we both got comfortable and porked up by a couple of stone. I've worked hard to shift the first stone of that (and am working on the second stone), but my partner is continuing to eat crap and seems to be gaining even more weight.

I know everyone's journey starts differently and in their own time but I want to be able to enjoy life for a long time to come with my partner so want him to be healthy.

Any tips to gently nudge him towards a healthier lifestyle? He's a very fussy eater so getting him to eat any veg is nigh on impossible btw.

Replies

• mdjoubert03
    Options
    This must be a very sensitive topic. I had a partner once tell me i could lose some weight and it was terible, but he was right (although at the time i felt he was rejecting me). The result was me gaining weight cause i was stressed about not being attractive anymore.
    I think if you communicate love and understanding, and not with a judegemental, rejectful tone, then your partner might take it better.

Also what about trying out small changes. like not saying anything at all, preparing slightly healthier meals or doing couple activities that are fun and active. therefore the hole thing will be a positive experience and not a negetive experience.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Most men are not super sensitive about their weight (at least the ones I know), so it's not a necessarily off-limits topic.
    I know that with my wife, I'm only allowed to be concerned for her health, not her weight. I tell her I want her to live at least as long as I do. She tells me that I'm fat and she likes it that way. :)

Maybe rent "Forks Over Knives" and "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". That got me super-motivated to eat healthier.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Its a tough one to broach, not helped by us not eating any of the same food (I'm pescatarian and he's a self proclaimed meat and potatoes man).
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    Most men are not super sensitive about their weight (at least the ones I know), so it's not a necessarily off-limits topic.

Maybe rent "The China Study" and "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". That got me super-motivated to eat healthier.

Worth a go!
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options

Maybe rent "The China Study" and "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". That got me super-motivated to eat healthier.

Worth a go!

Oops, Sorry for the mistake on movie title. It's actually "Forks Over Knives", not the China Study. It's a documentary about the China study. Both movies are on Netflix right now if you've got it.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Convincing a significant other can be harder than working out for your self..

In my opinion you should focus on you .. Don't cheat yourself and your results will show.... Most cases your significant other will probably jump on board by being afraid to be left behind..
  • MandyMcAwesome
    MandyMcAwesome Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I lied and told my husband there was a guy at the gym hitting on me. He now goes with me EVERY time.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    I lied and told my husband there was a guy at the gym hitting on me. He now goes with me EVERY time.

LOL.

I'm in a open relationship so that's not going to be of much help in my situation!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    Convincing a significant other can be harder than working out for your self..

In my opinion you should focus on you .. Don't cheat yourself and your results will show.... Most cases your significant other will probably jump on board by being afraid to be left behind..

I hope so.