Floundering and Bewildered with the whole mess!

Options
Unfortunately because of a long history of abusing my body with dieting and exercising, I now find that in order to lose weight, I must eat at the very lowest limit and feel hungry at night. I don't mind feeling hungry for the hour before a meal, but the nighttime hunger is WHY I AM STILL DIETING year after year. It is simply not sustainable. I will lose to within 10 lbs of goal- never reaching goal, and then steadily over many months gain 10 or so lbs. When I got married I weighed 135 lbs @ 5' 7" - I have not seen that # on the scale since I had kids starting 28 years ago! Lowest weight in all these years came last summer after I brutely abused myself doing HCG diet- not once, but twice. I weighed 160 and would like to weigh 145-150. Currently at 170 and really really struggling to lose even another pound. Any thoughts on how I can make this happen and sustain it would be greatly appreciated. I workout 4 x week, usually cycling 12-15 miles/day. When I eat back exercise cals I do not lose anything and it takes eating very little to lose 1 lb/week. And I mean literally starving myself.

Sorry for long post, but I am confused and unsure of what I can do to lose this weight and get to goal. It truly seems IMPOSSIBLE!!

Replies

• MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Okay. I'm just going to say it. Are you crazy? I'm 5'4" and I want to weigh 150. I am going to be tickled pink when I reach 160. I might even stay at 160. I love being a nice size 8 or 10. Sexy mama! Age is the main thing that has slowed down weight loss for me. I just have to maintain around 1200-1500 a day with exercise and it comes off....eventually. If I eat more I also don't lose weight. I almost always eat a peach or a handful of nuts or even a PB&J right before I go to bed because I also hate being hungry at night. Although I don't eat much for breakfast just a cappucinno and fruit. So, I guess what I'm going to ask...is your goal weight reasonable? I'm thinking I don't mind having the 10 extra pounds. But that's just my opinion. So I try to maintain a good accounting of what I eat and do a reasonable workout and I'm losing. When I up the cals. or disregard exercise I don't lose. Pretty simple for me. Patience is not one of my virtues...I've had to learn the hard way by losing the same ten pounds more than once. I don't know of any other way but there are a lot of smart people on MFP that might.
  • xMillyLouisex
    xMillyLouisex Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    ^^ just a comment to the last post, maybe u r lucky how u carry ur weight but all i know is im 5'5 and currently 147lb and im a size 12 defs not a size 8 or 10, im not being horrible or nething im just saying maybe the OP doesnt carry the weight like u because i know i defs dont lol!
    x
  • jillebean60
    jillebean60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Okay. I'm just going to say it. Are you crazy? I'm 5'4" and I want to weigh 150.

LOL! Yes- it's quite possible that I am :D I did look 'okay' at 160 but I would truly like to get to 150 to have breathing room. Maybe it's just not healthy or doable at this age?? That's why I asked for input. Maybe to change my warped perspective. Thanks!!
  • phdcharlie
    Options
    Working out 4x a week is good--definitely keep that up. Like you said, you want to sustain the weight loss so eating only very few calories is not a good long-term goal. Maybe you are at a plateau and need to keep going? Your diet log looks good. What about trying to eat more vegetables? I wonder if that would help you feel more full?

I feel similar that the big question is how to keep going and to maintain the weight loss in the long run.

Try not to get too discouraged. For my body, I would be happy to be just north of the "normal" BMI if I could sustain it permanently. Do you think your goal is too hard or you are just in a plateau and need to either stick it out or shake things up?

Keep doing your best!
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    ^^ just a comment to the last post, maybe u r lucky how u carry ur weight but all i know is im 5'5 and currently 147lb and im a size 12 defs not a size 8 or 10, im not being horrible or nething im just saying maybe the OP doesnt carry the weight like u because i know i defs dont lol!
    x

Maybe you are right. Just giving my opinion based on what I know of myself.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    It sounds like you've had a past of more extreme dieting methods. I can only imagine what your metabolism has done in that amount of time. So, yes, if you increase calories at first, you are probably going to gain weight. Incorporate more strength training into your routine, eat more, allow your metabolism to "recover," and above all else, have patience. Feeding your body properly and exercising regularly is going to have a huge impact on your health, even if you don't lose all the weight you want to lose as quickly as you want to. And that is way more important.

Check out this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I think you have your carbs way too high and your protein way too low. I'm on 1200 calories too but eat back all my exercise cals.

My protein is set at 40% carbs 30% and fat 30%. I think having low protein and not enough veggies that will both fill you up is maybe why you aren't doing well.

Best wishes.