Can't eat the right amount of calories

Options
I starve! I have tried everything. I got down to 124 pounds, I'm 5'5. I want to be 118. Well, after a weekend of eating I woke up weighing 136 pounds. A few days later I was 131. The problem is FOOD! I could eat all healthy food, I just want to eat way to much of it. I feel satisfied if I eat around 3000 calories a day! Way too much! If I try to keep it at 1200, my recommended weight loss amount, I am so hungry at night I want to eat everything. I eat fiber, fruits, vegetables, protein... I don't understand why I can eat so much. I exercise at least an hour a day, but still don't burn enough calories. I want to be thin and feel good, but if I eat what I need to to be thin I feel fatigued, tired and unable to work and do my schooling as well. (Work full-time and do online classes) What can I do! I am not eating unhealthy food. I don't have a hard time not eating junk, but I eat soooo much.

Please, advice anyone!!! I was so close to my goal, and blew it all in a week! I feel so discouraged and I'm running out of patience.
How can I reach my goal? Even appetite suppressors don't work!

Replies

• cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Check out "Eat to Live" by Dr Fuhrman. I feel satisfied on about half the calories I previsouly had to have to feel satisfied.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Can you try to cut down gradually? its only because you are used to eating 3000 that you are hungry when you don't, especially if you try to jump down to 1200.

Mabey try to scale down to 2800 one week then 2600 the next etc. by cutting portion sizes and if you are worried about putting on weight, scale up the exercise at first till you've hit about 2000 or whatever your maintainance is.
  • dlashawn5
    dlashawn5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Try drinking more water! Sometimes, our feeling of hunger is just thirst. If plain water is a turn off, flavor it with fruit or MIO or Crystal light. I find when I drink more water I don't snack as much. The first week I tried that, I lost about 2 pounds.... When I see myself snacking like crazy, I stop myself, get a drink a full glass of water and that usually quinches my desire to snack. Other tricks, brush your teeth after you eat, or buy a pack of sugar free flavored gum to stop that desire to eat sweets. I hope that is helpful!
  • eden2760
    eden2760 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi there. :)

So I make sure I'm hearing you right: You say your goal is to lose weight, yes, and you're having trouble staying around your recommended deficit because you're very hungry over 1200 cals?

I would probably have a few questions for you:

1. What type of exercises are you doing, and what are the frequencies of those exercises? You said an hour a day, every day, but can you be more specific on that?

2. What is your diet like? I know you said fiber, frutis, veggies, protein, but can you be a bit more specific?

3. Do you have a specific range of macronutrients you're trying to reach within your caloric goals (protein, fat, and carbs)... not necessarily "canned" ratios, but particular numbers chosen for a reason?

Also as the poster above mentioned... drink lots of water. I get a 64 oz jug and try to drain one before lunch, and one after. Helps with keeping that "full" feeling and making sure you're not mistaking thirst for hunger.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    What are all these numbers?
    Aloha,
    I ran your numbers on a spreadsheet and found you have a BMR of 1436 cals a day (that is being comatose) and your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is 1723 a day, and that is if you are sedentary! which by your post, you are not!
    I had no idea how to go about losing weight the correct way, without hurting myself and without being hungry all the time. I found out from all the knowledgeable folks here on MFP that neither situation has to occur if you are losing the weight the proper way. I read the newbie posts on the forums a couple of times, which is where I ended up the these spreadsheets and all the stuff in this folder.

JamaicaLady gave me these spreadsheets to figure out your numbers (which really made a difference), and HelloitsDan’s instructions on weight loss. It helped me quite a lot and made a big difference in what my goals were and are today. I can’t thank all who helped me learn what I needed to learn to get healthy and hopefully stay healthy.
    All of this is located at: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3kFzsaVmRjmd1k4YjA1SlVWaFU/edit

Please feel free to download, copy and SHARE anything in the folder. I believe in “Paying it Forward” as HelloItsDan says….
  • AjlalMarie
    Options
    At least an hour of cardio a day. Either an hour on the elliptical or walking/jogging for an hour and a half. Plus I do light weight training, maybe thirty minutes, a few times a week. Honestly, often I work out for two hours or more a day. It just depends on if I have time. If I am really hungry one day I'll work out for two hours so I won't gain because I know I'm gonna eat a lot. There are some days I make my calorie goal. Its not impossible. But I kinda have a cycle, two days of 1200 calories, one day of 3000. Repeat. Sometimes two days of 3000, one day of 1200, repeat. It just depends. I eat protein shakes, whole wheat breads, oatmeal, fruit, bananas lately. But also strawberries, blueberries, apples, oranges, grapes, etc. Plus salads, no dressing. Raw vegetables like carrots and celery. I run into problems with peanut butter sometimes. I eat to much of it. I feel like I am a binge eater because I'll consume a large amount of food very quickly. I just don;t purge later and the food I binge on isn't junk food. I have all the same habits as a binge eater though, except they probably don't want to do it every day. I have tried appetite sup resents, good expensive ones. They don't work. Maybe its psychological? But I swear my body feels like it need the food, even though I know it couldn't possible really need so much.
  • eden2760
    Options
    This is also a pretty good (if in-depth) read. It's not too overly complicated and breaks things down pretty well. I encourage checking it out. Can also post questions in this thread.... Emma has shown herself to be very knowledgable and helpful with things.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
  • eden2760
    Options
    Strictly speaking... since you're doing some (light) weight training... I would say make sure you hit a good amount of protein. Based on your weight... I'd shoot for around 120 grams... this should keep you well satiated.

After that, I'd say play around with your carbs/fat however you want. You can eat more fat/less carbs as long as you stay within your calories adn vice-versa. Since you're doing quite a bit of cardio, it would probably be better to veer towards more carbs, but don't sell yourself short. It goes without saying that more fat means you get to eat "less" as fat is so calorie-dense by it's nature... but don't be afraid of eating fat :p.

Also, with as much cardio as you're doing...are you taking into aco**** of re-eating the amount of calories you're burning? You can probably get away with that (say if you burn 400 on the eliptical, you could probably reuptake a large portion of that without gimping yourself).

It /almost/ sounds like you're doing a leangains type of thing with your alternating the amount of calories you're eating. You might consider checking it out (www.leangains.com) as a lot of people have good results from it. Plus it allows you to "eat more" at one sitting as well as research suggesting it has some other positive benefiits. I'd advise to check out the site.

I try to veer away from broscience as much as possible, so take this with a grain of salt: But listen to your body. If you're eating wisely, getting enough protein... and you're still feeling hungry a bit after you're done eating, maybe you need to eat more.

Remember that this is a long-term thing. Make some changes, and maybe up the calories a bit to help your hunger... track your progress for a week or two and see if you don't still lose weight. If you don't maybe you'll start to recomp (lose fat, gain muscle) instead. You can always adjust back if the scale / mirror doesn't put you where you want.

In other words, don't be afraid to play around with your calories and what you eat and see how it goes. Keep your expectations in check... if it takes a little longer to reach your goals while you try some different things, don't sweat it. You'll still be making progress, right, and finding out better what works for your body. It does sound to me like maybe the amount of cardio you're doing is significantly increasing the amount of calories your body burns and that you should eat more to compensate.

TL/DR: It's a marathon, not a sprint. Try upping the calories / playing around with your calories and find out what works for you, then make other changes accordingly. Don't be in such a hurry that you don't take quality time to find out what really works for you.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Stop doing extremes. Your options are not 3000 calories or 1200 calories. Try 1800 calories of healthy food. And throw in some exercise for good measure.
  • eden2760
    Options
    Try to make sure you read the posts above... she's said several times that she does exercise, and what types. :D
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Firstly, assuming you're moderately active, 1200 calories is not enough IMHO, that's around a 600 calorie deficit for your height, weight, and age.

If it were me, I'd be looking for a 300 calorie deficit and eating back exercise calories myself.

Second, nobody (well, almost nobody) can gain 12 lbs of real weight in a weekend, that would be 42000 calories over your maintenance. Which would be relatively impossible for most of us unless you started chugging crisco bottles. So I'm thinking most of that weight gain is water weight, which explains the second weight soon after. Sounds like you may have had some high sodium meals over the weekend (quite common) and your body retained some water because of it.

also, if it were me, I'd examine why you're worried about the difference between 124 and 118 so much, it's probably not even noticable by others, minimally if it is, and for my clients, once they get into the healthy range, I make them focus on body fat %, and exercise related goals (times, distances, weights, speeds...etc.) as weight is so arbitrary (see the first paragraph).

If it helps, I've been maintaining my weight for over 3 years, and I fluctuate between 180 and 191 on a regular basis throughout any 3 day period, our bodies just aren't designed to sit at 1 weight, they move based on enviornmental conditions, that's quite normal. you can wake up being 1 weight and go to bed gaining 6 lbs and none of it is real weight.
  • AjlalMarie
    Options
    I wish I knew my body fat percentage. Do men fluctuate less than woman? My husband never fluctuates like I do. It makes me feel like its not normal.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew my body fat percentage. Do men fluctuate less than woman? My husband never fluctuates like I do. It makes me feel like its not normal.

it's not gender dependent, but if your husband is bigger than you, or has a better electrolyte balance, he may fluctuate less. Even if you both eat the same stuff in the same amount, that doesn't mean you'll gain and lose the same.

finding your BF% isn't hard, you call your doctors office and ask them where you can go for a caliper test (for a very general number, calipers can be pretty inaccurate, but in the hands of an experienced pro are generally within 5% of accurate), or google bodpod's and they have sites around the country, you can go and get a very accurate report done, it usually costs about 50 to 75 bucks, but you only need your body fat % done once every couple of months.
  • hannahhughes85
    Options
    A good thing to think about is whether you are physically hungry or psychologically hungry.
    I have massive problems with thinking I'm hungry when I'm actually not, I'm just craving food. For what reason I have no idea.
    I find when I'm keeping myself busy I don't feel hungry.
    Try to do different things with your day, keep yourself occupied etc and see if it makes a difference.

Another factor is protein. Try to get lots of protein in your diet through things like eggs, lean meat etc. It's a natural appetite suppressant and really helps, especially for breakfast.

Lastly, if you are doing an hours cardio then 1200 cals isn't enough, which might be a reason why you are hungry! Make sure you eat those cals that you've earned on a nice high protein meal!

Good luck :)
  • mangohead100
    Options

also, if it were me, I'd examine why you're worried about the difference between 124 and 118 so much, it's probably not even noticable by others, minimally if it is, and for my clients, once they get into the healthy range, I make them focus on body fat %, and exercise related goals (times, distances, weights, speeds...etc.) as weight is so arbitrary (see the first paragraph).

If it helps, I've been maintaining my weight for over 3 years, and I fluctuate between 180 and 191 on a regular basis throughout any 3 day period, our bodies just aren't designed to sit at 1 weight, they move based on enviornmental conditions, that's quite normal. you can wake up being 1 weight and go to bed gaining 6 lbs and none of it is real weight.

i'm also wondering why you are aiming at 118 lbs. i am also 5'5"; i weigh 136 lbs and am probably in the best shape of my life due to regular exercise such as weightlifting, swimming, running and yoga.
    if you are aiming at a healthy body, you may also want to consider using waist circumference, muscle strength, and/or cardiovascular fitness as a measure of your success.

to help the hunger, i drink lots of water and herbal tea before eating to make sure i'm not 'eating when i'm actually thirsty'. also, i find eating protein/fat in the morning helps keep my hunger at bay for the rest of the day.

good luck!
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Are you familiar with false hungers? They can happen when you are bored, dehydrated, or in deficiency.

I used to have those on a daily basis when I was in school. I took healty snacks, but it was too much calories anyway.

My solutions : keep a bottle of water on hand, take supplements and always ask myself "Am I really hungry" before I eat anything. It helps!
  • dcyr009
    dcyr009 Posts: 93
    Options
    You are so right about the "Eat to Live" Dr. Fuhrman. I've been eating his "gombs" diet and I lost almost 78 pounds. I went from 198 to 120 in a little over 9 months with no platues. I saw his infomertial and didn't buy the book and got some great advise just from that. My doctor was shocked when I saw her last week. She never saw anyone do that and I credit the gombs diet and lots of lean chicken and fish for this. The large salids really filled me up. My doctor said I am in excellent health. I'm going to buy his book for more info. I'm going to continue with this diet and logging in my food to help maintain my weight.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like you are experiencing hypoglycemic episodes. I gained most of my weight during the years when I had undiagnosed hypoglycemia because, when the blood sugar levels plummet, it makes you so hungry you could eat your car. You need to get tested. Or, if you are close to someone with a glucose monitor, check your blood sugar 1, 2 and 3 hours after a meal.

The best way to control it, at least what finally worked for me, was to eat 5-6 small meals a day and to limit carbohydrates. Particularly bread and sweets. Those would hit me the worst.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I starve! I have tried everything. I got down to 124 pounds, I'm 5'5. I want to be 118. Well, after a weekend of eating I woke up weighing 136 pounds. A few days later I was 131. The problem is FOOD! I could eat all healthy food, I just want to eat way to much of it. I feel satisfied if I eat around 3000 calories a day!

You're eating as an emotional fix. You need to learn to stop letting your emotions tell you when to eat and listen to your body. One thing you might try that I experimented with is intermittent fasting. Give yourself a 8 hour window during the day when you can eat and don't eat outside of that time-frame. I was only eating between 2 pm and 10 pm and only had a couple cups of coffee outside of that window. This will help with several things.

First of all it makes your body more insulin sensitive which helps avoid the insulin crash people get after eating high carb foods. The more sensitive your body is to insulin the more stable your blood sugar levels will be. You shouldn't feel that overwhelming hunger that you get after your body dumps insulin and stores all your food leaving your blood sugar down, and you feeling hungry.

Secondly this is great training for your mind and you'll learn the difference between thinking you're hungry and actually being hungry. Giving yourself an actual hard time to start eating flexes that self control muscle you're having a hard time with. The best way to get self control is to practice.

Thirdly, you probably won't be able to eat 3000 calories worth of healthy food in that time frame. It was difficult for me to do without adding in high calorie foods like peanut butter. You're going to be only slightly hungry during your fasting hours but when you get to eat you'll be stuffed to the gills. I had to stop because the extra full feeling was interfering with my strength training. I was having a difficult time eating all my food within that window.

Try it out for a week or two and see what you think.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    You're eating as an emotional fix. You need to learn to stop letting your emotions tell you when to eat and listen to your body. One thing you might try that I experimented with is intermittent fasting.

Before I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia and started eating right to stop the huge blood sugar crashes, I thought I was emotionally disturbed. The blood sugar roller-coasters definitely effect your moods and your cognitive thinking abilities. Once I was diagnosed and began to eat right for my condition, my emotions leveled out, my moods improved, and I no longer gorged.

And if she is hypoglycemic, IF is probably the worst way she should eat. Well, at least it was for me. I tried it and it brought back the blood sugar roller-coasters. I was hoping it would work as I really don't like to eat before about Noon but it really messed me up.