Which Whey?

Options
Hi,

I keep getting different advice about which Protein Shake to use. Nobody seems to be offering me any objective advice, other than their personal preference, usually based upon taste, whether it is lactose free, or whether it has added vitamins. Can anybody here offer some objective reasoning over choice of brand so I can make an informed decision? What annoys me most of all is when people say "oh that brand is rubbish' but then can't substantiate a reason why, other than saying "oh man have you seen the ingredients in that?"

Replies

• kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I tend to try and choose a whey protein with as little sugar/carbs as possible, and at least 20-25g protein. My needs may not be the same as yours though, as a woman. I personally use Dymatize Nutrition Elite Gourmet Whey/Casein blend.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I use NutriLIte Whey Protein. My reason for using it is that it is 100% organic with no hidden fillers like many of the other bigger brands have. I have also noticed it gives me a nice boost of energy after I drink it. Plus-- taste awesome! Especially with a banana.

Here is a link: http://www.amway.com/Shop/Product/Product.aspx/NUTRILITE-Whey-Protein-Powder-Chocolate?itemno=114027
  • caseygotgoals
    caseygotgoals Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Typically I look for something with a small ingredients list, and has whey as the first ingredient on that list (with little to no added garbage). Really, it depends on what you're using it for. My winning brand of Whey is from Optimum Nutrition. I use it for meal replacements for a protein boost (add some peanut butter or other stuff), and reducing muscle soreness, plus the Extreme Milk Chocolate flavor is awesome.

But honestly, as long as it is 100% whey, I don't think you have to worry about brands... try out different ones and stick with the one you like.
  • Roughy92
    Roughy92 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've always used Impact Whey from myprotein.co.uk

Cals: 98

Carbs: 2g

Fat: 2g

Protein: 20g

For a 25g scoop according to MFP. It's cheap, mixes well and doesn't taste too bad either.
  • jblack1414
    Options
    Agreed. Have you tried the Rhodiola or XS drinks?
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    whey gives me gas. I personally like casein powders best.

ON Chocolate Casein makes a really good shake just plain in water.

Casein is more slowly digested than whey, so not as technically ideal for post workout, but it's just fine for a during the day supplement.